Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

View Poll Results: Should I buy Dominion or Thunderstone? Read first post
Thunderstone all the way! 4 36.36%
Dominion is superior for me! 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM
proper grammar and spelling are vital too success

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!
Dominion Versus Thunderstone

Should I buy Dominion or Thunderstone? My group loves fantasy and otherwise but my family isn't fond of fantasy and I want to play with someone with the gaming skill of an eight year old.

Sorry if a thread exists but none came up in my search.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
in LAUR DETENTION FACILITY
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Dominion Versus Thunderstone

I don't have Thunderstone but from what I've seen it's more theme-y than Dominion, and you want something that plays with both groups. Dominion is very family friendly.

You'd need a precocious 8 year old, I think, but they exist...

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I don't have Thunderstone but from what I've seen it's more theme-y than Dominion, and you want something that plays with both groups. Dominion is very family friendly.

You'd need a precocious 8 year old, I think, but they exist...
I know five year olds can play Dominion due to reading the Dominion thread.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'm sure some can.

I have Dominion and I have an 8 year old, but as in all these threads asking for opinions, your mileage may vary.

= =
Old April 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I'm sure some can.

I have Dominion and I have an 8 year old, but as in all these threads asking for opinions, your mileage may vary.
The eight year old is not eight but has the skill of eight.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
Old April 28th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

I have played both Dominion and Thunderstone. I think you will get lots more mileage out of Dominion. I have played lots of games of Dominion with my 10 year old who started playing when she was 8 and did just fine. It is a very simple game to learn and teach. So far everyone regadless of age that has played Dominion with us has enjoyed it and requested a 2nd game. Several of them decided to buy their own copies of the game after playing it with us.

Thunderstone is ok, but I dont think it is near as child friendly as Dominion.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

They aren't the same game nor are they meant to be.

Dominion is better if u want more casual gaming and something very friendly to non-gamers. I do not mean this to imply that it is a simple game, just that it's base mechanics are very easy to pick up and it has a very simple goal - acquire the most land.

Thunderstone is for someone wanting more of a theme and goal - kill the most monsters - it's a more aggresive game in terms of playing against the game, but has less personal interaction with other players. It's a "tighter" game in them and has the added bonus of being able to play solo. However, it's mechanics are more complex.

Both are easily able to be played by any 8 year old who is experienced in card or board games.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Heh.

I'd forgotten about this thread.

We now have Thunderstone & we've played it a bunch of times. My kid and I both think it's great. But I was right the first time, and so is Omahavice (edit: and the ninjaing jschild): Dominion is for everybody. Thunderstone is not.

= =
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:07 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

I own and have played both, but I do not have an 8 year old to test against, heh. I can agree with the others that Dominion is less intricate in the way of Thunderstone. In Dominion, a child only needs to understand how best to combine cards, whereas in Thunderstone, one is required to calculate attacks buffered by other cards, as well as calculate light penalties and possible changes because of card effects. In other words, it may be slightly more confusing.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

My eight year old learned Dominion when he was seven and has had no issues. While waiting for his reading skills the catch-up we tended to stick to cards that had small amounts of text, like +1 Action, or +1 Buy. He's fine now with any of the cards.

-insert signature here-
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:28 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

I've taught 8 years old people and 40 year old people Dominion. It's a fantastic game. I play it a lot. In addition to the Base set get the Prosperity expansion. It is by far the best one.

Deathreacers should be banned!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games