Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape
C3G SuperScape A Place to gather C3G threads without interfering with other Marvel Customs creation

Old April 21st, 2016, 06:55 AM

Xael Raymand rolls all skulls baby! Xael Raymand rolls all skulls baby! Xael Raymand rolls all skulls baby! Xael Raymand rolls all skulls baby! Xael Raymand rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The C3G Cave - Hangout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The Thunderbolts actually has a pretty consistent through-line, bar the two times the book has been taken over for something completely different.*

The book does transition from being about a specific group of villains-turned-heroes (the heel-face turn happens within the first year of the title; 'villains in disguise' wasn't really the premise for an extended period of time) to the supervillain reform program that they inspire and work within.

Mostly my concern about the new volume looking like a reboot is that Thunderbolts has always traded on its continuity. It's a book that digs into a lot of neglected corners of the Marvel U and fleshes out a lot of bit players. Ignoring the histories of the characters feels like a mistake.

*which are the six-issues of 'Fightbolts' and the Red Hulk volume. And that Red Hulk volume was an awful idea. Even in the decent issues (the Charles Soule run), it's still not a Thunderbolts team.
FIGHTBOLTS, now that was a weird transition. I remember reading the run and being like what just happened?
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xael Raymand View Post
FIGHTBOLTS, now that was a weird transition. I remember reading the run and being like what just happened?
Yeah. It's a good story (though the ending is a little rushed; I think the writer was expecting more than six issues to tell his story), it's just really out of place in Thunderbolts. At no point in those issues is the name "Thunderbolts" ever used, nor was there a group of people you could reasonably call the Thunderbolts.

I could see Fightbolts being a "Thunderbolts presents" mini-series or something, since it does have some loose thematic connections to the Thunderbolts, but it really didn't belong in the main book. Marvel was doing a lot of weird stuff at the time, under the leadership of Bill Jemas.

Last edited by Ronin; April 21st, 2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:11 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

So I got a free month of Marvel Unlimited last week using the recent code. I've got three weeks left (though I may let it renew once or twice), what should I read? I've already read a ton and I have more queued up, but I'm always looking for recommendations. Shorter runs or miniseries (5-20 issues) are what I'm moi HDT looking for, but anything goes. Watcha guys got?

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:42 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I'm in the middle of reading Jeff Parker's Agents of Atlas run (a 6 issue mini, a ~12 issue ongoing, and then another 5 issues under the title Atlas ). And I'm really loving that. It's got me doing a lot of design brainstorming.

Various other things, in no particular order:
  • Fantastic Four: 1234 (4 issues)
  • Waid and Wieringo's Fantastic Four (35 issues)
  • Superior Foes of Spider-Man (~17 issues) (cannot push this one strongly enough. So psyched that these guys are getting clix in a few months)
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath (5 issues)
  • Jeff Parker's Exiles (6 issues) (Poor guy had a lot of stuff prematurely cancelled on him)
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger (8 issues)
  • Joe Kelly's Deadpool (33 issues)
  • Chris Priest's Black Panther (62 issues)
  • Nicieza's Thunderbolts (starting from New Thunderbolts) (~30 issues) (and if you're feeling ambitious, you can continue into Ellis' and then Diggle's and then Parker's T-Bolts for another 80 issues or so)
  • Superior Iron Man (9 issues) (ends a little weakly, but it's a fun book)
  • Rick Remender's Venom (22 issues)
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader and the City of Shadows (5 issues)
  • Star Wars: Legacy vol 2 (18 issues)
  • Ultimate Human (4 issues)
Old April 23rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

I'd echo most of those and toss in some other longer ones:

- Immortal Iron Fist (27 issues) | Fraction + Brubaker in one of those "complete character revitalization" runs of legend.
- Thor: God of Thunder (25 issues)
- Scarlet Spider (26 issues)
- All-New X-Factor (20 issues) | I STRONGLY recommend this one. Peter David really digs into the characterizations of everyone; Polaris, Quicksilver, Gambit, and a few others. Very funny, very smart, top quality all around. Severely underrated.
- Silver Surfer Vol. 7 (~15 issues) | Possibly the secret best comic being written at Marvel. Allred's art is amazing.
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:38 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Potentially big news for a future character in the MCU, or just some added world building that they will never actually cash in on.

Spoiler Alert!
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Symbiotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Potentially big news for a future character in the MCU, or just some added world building that they will never actually cash in on.

Spoiler Alert!
I saw that!

Spoiler Alert!
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:14 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Saw this Prince/Batdance video today. R.I.P.
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:35 AM

Teazia knows what's in an order marker Teazia knows what's in an order marker

Allred is doing Surfer? Wowza!
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

He's an acquired taste, but the pop style really suits the story. A little goofy, a little sci-fi, a little romance, a little Doctor Who... it totally deserves those Eisner nominations.
Old April 26th, 2016, 08:12 AM

Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker Midgieboy3 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post

He's an acquired taste, but the pop style really suits the story. A little goofy, a little sci-fi, a little romance, a little Doctor Who... it totally deserves those Eisner nominations.
Is this the new run? I was going to grab the new S.S. or GotG. I went with GotG. I really want to check out Space Knights Venom.

What is everyone most looking forward two? Cap #1 Civil War 2 DC Rebirth or other?

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgieboy3 View Post
Is this the new run? I was going to grab the new S.S. or GotG. I went with GotG. I really want to check out Space Knights Venom.

What is everyone most looking forward two? Cap #1 Civil War 2 DC Rebirth or other?
Yeah, that's the new one. (Well, kinda; it's technically from the last series, but the newest series is a continuation of that with the same team behind it. So essentially the same run.)

Personally, I'm pretty much only interested in DC Rebirth. The new Cap might be good, but I would have rather seen Sam stay the sole Captain America for a while longer. And I expect Civil War II will be pretty awful.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape