Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old August 18th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Charr21 Woo who?
Re: The Book of Major Q9

I don't know. I haven't experience the hype that is Major Q9. At GenCon I killed him twice in less than two turns with Mogrimm once and Fen Hydra the second. It didn't do that much damage. Maybe those were lucky rolls. Right now I'm thinking he is an ok figure. But I could be wrong.

The best thing to say when your best unit has been destroyed:

What is this?
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Myst9 knows what's in an order marker Myst9 knows what's in an order marker Myst9 knows what's in an order marker

Perhaps his toughness is based on the normal army composition, especially before certain expansions arrived. Maybe it's simply the meta-game changing. It's all about how he has high defense and a good chunk of life to go with it. Personally, I don't totally get the hype, but understand how evil he can be on the battlefield. One more reason to bring the Kozuke Samurai everywhere!

~Myst, the number one fan of the Kozuke.

For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, ...authorities, ...the world powers of this darkness, ...the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. Ephesians 6:12.
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Q9's only dangerous in a consistent manner when he has a screen or Raelin. He's deadly with both.

Take those away from him and he's a whiff from disaster.

That and he can absolutely murder certain armies (Goblins, Vipers, KMA) better than any other figure in the game. Versatility is his key strength, not overpowering attacks (IE, if you only roll 3 attacks of 3, you're doing it wrong. Often, 9 attacks of 1 can be more effective).

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:17 AM
This is genius...

The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst9 View Post
Perhaps his toughness is based on the normal army composition, especially before certain expansions arrived. Maybe it's simply the meta-game changing. It's all about how he has high defense and a good chunk of life to go with it. Personally, I don't totally get the hype, but understand how evil he can be on the battlefield. One more reason to bring the Kozuke Samurai everywhere!

I'd bring Gorillanators, Charos, Iron Golem, Major Q10 with Raelin, or Venoc Warlord with Raelin and Taelord. I think all of these units have a good chance of killing Q9.

Einar is the best general... End of argument...
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

How about-

Axegrinders x4- 280
Migol- 390
Theracus- 430
And add Johnny Shotgun or another squad of Dwarves. Or Darrak and isamu.

Migol can pass the screen with theracus and bomb Q9 in the start zone. Q9 may survive, but you can use extra-moved dwarves to cut the screen and finish him.

Another great option for any non-purist-

4th mass x4- 280
Captian America- 500

Basically, just pod near your starting zone. Screens that try to hold area far from the starting zone take a long time to set up and hold. While the other player spends ages trying to position Rats, Raelin, and Q9 just right, you can blast them down with wait-then-fire or some of Captain America's Sheild Throw. Q9 falls shortly to the Cap and 4 ranged attacks of 5 (Height, Wait-then-fire, Tactitian, normal attack) whether he is taken along with the rats or not.

Other great units include trons (Gs and Bs in the same army) iron golems, hydras, and Shurrak.
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Disciplined Soldier View Post
Quote:

I'd bring Gorillanators, Charos, Iron Golem, Major Q10 with Raelin, or Venoc Warlord with Raelin and Taelord. I think all of these units have a good chance of killing Q9.
The only one of these I take issue with is Gorillinators. Remember, Tough doesn't work against Queglix. Q9 is at the top of a long list of figures who can dominate the Gorillas.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
This is genius...

The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker The Disciplined Soldier knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The only one of these I take issue with is Gorillinators. Remember, Tough doesn't work against Queglix. Q9 is at the top of a long list of figures who can dominate the Gorillas.

Oops. I guess. Romans might be good against Q9. If you get 2 or more of these squads and Marcus Decimus Gallus with them they could have enough mobility and attack along with enough defense because of Shield Wall to get up next to him and hopefully kill him. Krav Maga would be even better 'cause they wouldn't even need to get near him.

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Oops. I guess. Romans might be good against Q9. If you get 2 or more of these squads and Marcus Decimus Gallus with them they could have enough mobility and attack along with enough defense because of Shield Wall to get up next to him and hopefully kill him. Krav Maga would be even better 'cause they wouldn't even need to get near him.
Romans are bad agianst Q9 'cause rats or any other screen will stop them dead in thier tracks, and once engaged they have to spread out get 4 attacks on Q9 (usually.) The Krav are bad cause one, JUST ONE, has to succumb to the withering fire of Q9 9 attacks of 1 to be weakened significantly.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old November 18th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

A word to the wise: Make sure that the last units in your army when you are facing Q9 are not deathreavers .

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
This is genius...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthflagbearer View Post
A word to the wise: Make sure that the last units in your army when you are facing Q9 are not deathreavers .
The last units you draft or the last units you have left alive? I'm confused.
I could see it if they were the last ones left alive. I mean rolling 1 atk. die against a Q9 is pretty much useless.
I wonder if an elf army could take down Q9? Some of 'em might be able to get close enough. Arkmer, Emiroon, Chadris, Kyntella Gwyn, and Uglinesh together might be enough.

Last edited by The Disciplined Soldier; November 20th, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM

Elginb has disabled reputation

If we're talking about an end-game with a couple squads of Deathreavers vs. a wounded Q9, I don't think Deathreavers are necessarily that bad. They can't use scatter, but 4 defense and 6 move is good on its own. Sure, they only have 1 attack, but they can use it 4 times per activation. If you had 8 Deathreavers vs. a Q9 with 2 life, I think you'd stand a reasonable chance of winning.

Last edited by Elginb; November 20th, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Never give up!
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I could see it if they were the last ones left alive. I mean rolling 1 atk. die against a Q9 is pretty much useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb View Post
If we're talking about an end-game with a couple squads of Deathreavers vs. a wounded Q9, I don't think Deathreavers are necessarily that bad. . . . I think you'd stand a reasonable chance of winning.
True story: In a team tournament several years ago, my partner and I failed to win one of our games (which ended up keeping us in the bottom bracket) because not one, but two, Deathreavers rolled to attack Q9 (already with 2 wounds) and we whiffed defense not once, but twice.

So yeah, it can happen.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units