Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Genre and the Metagame: The Place of Sci-Fi/Historical Units

My look at Genre in Heroscape spawned a thought (thanks, Bats) about how even though Fantasy units abound in Scape, they don't exactly own the podium, at least not according to Jexik's Tier work and Rankings.

My genre thread shows a clear preponderance of Fantasy units. Here is the short version of a long thread:

Totals
Historical 49

Fantasy 88
Sci-Fi 43

However, at our most recent tourney (just a small sample, I know, but one that includes the influence of D1), we saw our top 4 armies each with a Sci-Fi element, even though D1 and other Fantasy units were plentiful as well.

Our top army was Heavies, Grimnak, Nerak, Isamu, and Marro Warriors. Next was Phantom Knights and Marro Stingers and Marro Warriors, then third and fourth were identical Blasts/Glads/Raelin builds. (Also notable for D1 units was a Fen Hydra x2, Raelin, Rats build and a Torin/Zettians/Marro Warriors/Warden/Chainfighter build. A more classic build was a Minions/KMA/Isamu build, which includes a dabble of each.)

[Note: Isamu is technically Sci-Fi, since he is from future Earth (with Agent Carr), but for most people he looks and feels like a historical unit, thus the blended colors. For more about how I divided the units by genre, check out my original genre thread: A Study in HS Unit Genres: Or, where is the Sci-Fi love? and the discussion that ensued there.]

This got me thinking about how genre actually plays out in the metagame. So, I took a look at Jexik's Top Tiers and his (and SP's) Power Rankings, to see how top armies reflect the genre imbalance.

TIER ARMIES BY GENRE

Tier 1

Spoiler Alert!

Note on Tier 1:
In fact, it is notable that aside from Raelin and Dragons there are very few Fantasy units that rank well here. It will be interesting to see if this year we see an upswing in Fantasy units (Heavies, Dwarves, and D1 seem to be on a potential ladder climb, as it were).

Tier 2 [Edit]

Spoiler Alert!

Note on Tier 2 [Edit]
What stands out to me most is how much this tier of armies relies on more monochromatic (single genre) builds. Many more of these are not exploiting the resources that seem to come from having a cross section across genres. (There are exceptions, of course, but it stands out to me.) Could this be another piece of evidence that there is a kind of value that seems to come into Scape when you have a mixed army? Perhaps.

POWER RANKINGS BY GENRE

"A" Rankings
Spoiler Alert!

Quick "A" Ranking Summary (courtesy of Kroc):

Spoiler Alert!

Note on "A" Rankings:
Again, it is notable (to me, anyway), that Raelin is the only Fantasy unit A or above (and Sci-Fi dominates in terms of numbers at least at A or above). However, at the A- level Fantasy (and Historical) becomes plentiful (and Sci-Fi fades away).

"B" Rankings [Edit]
Spoiler Alert!

Quick "B" Rankings Summary (borrowed from Kroc's approach):
Spoiler Alert!

Note on B Rankings [Edit]
Not sure this shows much that's new. About the only thing that might be noticeable is how few Sci-Fi units are in the B- category. I'll have to review the C's as well to see if this is really a pattern or just a coincidence. Otherwise, this looks to be a pretty wide mix.

[Kroc's summary approach shows that Fantasy has a lower percentage (though not by a huge margin) at both the A and B levels. Now I'm really curious what the C level will show. I'll get to that soon.]

"C" Rankings [Edit]
Spoiler Alert!

Quick "C" Rankings Summary
Spoiler Alert!

"C" Note:
Nothing really stands out here. Fantasy is big in C- (and Historical in C+), but overall the C's are pretty representative of all genres.

"D/F" Rankings [Edit]
Spoiler Alert!

Quick "D/F" Rankings Summary
Spoiler Alert!

D/F Note [Edit]
Not many units here--notably, not many Fantasy units at all. Guess they all got used up at the C- level . Seriously, there are more Historical and Sci-Fi units here; they definitely have their stinkers. In fact, the idea that Fantasy units tend to group in the moderate/average category gains some credence here.

Final Thought/Note:
There may be more Fantasy units than the others, but the metagame shows a clear trend toward mixed armies and that all the genres (despite discrepancies in representation) currently have a clear/strong place in the game.

Last edited by 1Mmirg; April 21st, 2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added Tier 2 and B-F Rankings now w/ Kroc's summary approach

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion