Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:01 AM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!
Re: In my day job I ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic View Post
In my Job, I am a Mechanical and Structural Engineer. I design cranes, jibs, under hook lifting equipment and I rate existing equipment. I also inspect Condo construction.

In the past I have worked in plastic injection molding, plastic extrusion, off highway (construction and mining) equipment and farm equipment failure analysis and parts re-manufacturing specifically hydraulic equipment and drive train. I also do ISO Auditng and specialize in Lean Manufacturing.

Delphic
I read that description and thought, "that sounds so fun". Did you work with haul trucks, loaders or bucket wheels in mining?
Mainly heavy loaders and articulated dump trucks in mining. We used to get 8" diameter hydraulic rams/cylinders bent almost in half due to the loading they were under.

Earlier this year, I was on the new Bucyrus strip miner that they just commissioned. It is the largest in North America. It is so large they use 100 yard long feet to "walk" the machine instead of tracks. They run high voltage power lines directly to it to power it. It is like moving a large apartment building on feet but it weights a whole lot more. They had a 20 Ton service crane inside to perform maintenance and I was called in to rate it. I considered that a great honour.

Cheers,

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

"Desre for good grammar makes one looking to destroy fun??"

I love it when the overly critical can't meet their own expectations.
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougabot View Post
Quote:
In my Job, I am a Mechanical and Structural Engineer. I design cranes, jibs, under hook lifting equipment and I rate existing equipment. I also inspect Condo construction.

In the past I have worked in plastic injection molding, plastic extrusion, off highway (construction and mining) equipment and farm equipment failure analysis and parts re-manufacturing specifically hydraulic equipment and drive train. I also do ISO Auditng and specialize in Lean Manufacturing.

Delphic
I read that description and thought, "that sounds so fun". Did you work with haul trucks, loaders or bucket wheels in mining?
Mainly heavy loaders and articulated dump trucks in mining. We used to get 8" diameter hydraulic rams/cylinders bent almost in half due to the loading they were under.

Earlier this year, I was on the new Bucyrus strip miner that they just commissioned. It is the largest in North America. It is so large they use 100 yard long feet to "walk" the machine instead of tracks. They run high voltage power lines directly to it to power it. It is like moving a large apartment building on feet but it weights a whole lot more. They had a 20 Ton service crane inside to perform maintenance and I was called in to rate it. I considered that a great honour.

Cheers,

Delphic
It has always amazed me what kind of punishment mine equipment endures. I was at Laubag in Germany and got to see their bucket wheel up close. We pulled our truck up to a bucket the size of our truck just sitting on the ground. The thing was huge, it could easily have picked up our truck (I think there were 25 of them on the wheel). They had just left it there because it had "broken off and we replaced it with one of our spares". I was amazed that something this big could just "break off" intact, and they had a spare!!

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker

Well, I mow lawns in my day job. And I clean factories. And I teach Tae-Kwon-Do.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Jdet is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdet View Post
I work with adults with learning disabilities. It's a great job.
Cheers for that. I still think about going back and finishing school and get into something that is a bit more humanitarian.
Don't do it unless you have a real passion for it. While it's a fantastic job, it's very draining.

Jdet is a MacDirk Warrior...
in the Garden of Horror...
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM

HSLuv Woo who?

In my day job I... perform maintenance on network hub sites.
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:25 PM

i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's really interesting to learn what you all do for a living. I'd never have guessed with most of you!

I'm a graphic and brand identity designer. I work for a small firm and we all work out of home offices.

We provide print design, marketing, and web design and development for a variety of clients.

My sale/trade/wants/haves.

Also spend my free time drawing robots:
Instagram @robotoftheday
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbad View Post
I own and operate a Hobby Studio. We provide corporate and private clients with painted miniatures for display and war-gaming.

Most of our clients are companies like Wargames Factory, Flames of War and other war-game companies, but we paint for private collectors as well. Everything from 6mm to 120mm.

I have three full time employees, and 1000 square feet of paint, brushes, airbrushes, terrain making supplies etc. It looks like a hobby store in our studio.

We 'scape during lunch and after hours to relax and enjoy some time together that isn't squinting under the lights.
Check your inbox.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Starting tomorrow I will have my hands in your Special K.

Now you know why it's special.

Just curious if you put that rock that almost broke my tooth off the other day in my Total cereal?

It's not the cereal, Tim...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MaCXVSwec4

I was famous, once...
Visit my site:
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Starting tomorrow I will have my hands in your Special K.

Now you know why it's special.

Just curious if you put that rock that almost broke my tooth off the other day in my Total cereal?

It's not the cereal, Tim...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MaCXVSwec4

You're so mean to me. :P

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I started a new job back in November. I work for a small web/software developer. We specialize in .Net sites. Projects range from small static sites to full blown applications for large companies.

I'm doing mostly front-end work, designing and coding in HTML and CSS. At the same time I'm still in school learning back-end coding languages(Java, C#) as my fellow employees teach me to learn C# and SQL.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

This is a rather interesting thread... In my day job I work for a geotechnical engineering firm as a draftsman. I design subsurface exploration plans, generalized subsurface section plans, Earth support layouts, and topographic contouring plans. I've been doing this since I was 17 (28 now).

I attend college at night to earn a degree in criminal justice. I know these fields are absolute opposites, but criminal justice was always an interest of mine that I finally decided to pursue since drafting has become quite stale for me.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
I design subsurface exploration plans, generalized subsurface ... and topographic contouring plans. I've been doing this since I was 17 (28 now).

I attend college at night
Sounds to me like you've been either planning "underground" rave parties and finding the ladies with the best "topographic contouring" to come and dance...with the college angle, I think I'm spot on!

I was famous, once...
Visit my site:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General