Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Old June 24th, 2020, 06:40 PM
I'm Feeling Inspired To Play Some Gladiators

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker
Re: 2020 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 1 until 7/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
Koggo - took first hit with 2 damage, so then was useless from there on out. Could not cower after that with only one life.
Cower works like Scatter on the rats. You use it after rolling defense dice and you don't take disengagement attacks. Super useful, as it really extends his survivability.

Quote:
Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

the new goblins do not mesh with the old goblins, so still a bit broken.
could you elaborate on this point a little more? I'm not sure I understand this statement.
He didn't use cower, as he was already disengaged and on the highest point of the map. The next time he took an attack, he died. Just some clarity there.

EDIT: I see coachmuskie already addressed this! *thumbs up*
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:05 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Barring a schedule change, Knight of Scape and I are going to play tomorrow evening at 5 pm MDT (7pm EDT, I believe).
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:37 PM

wumpis is surprisingly tart

Just finished my game with heroscaper2010 my army was 5x goblin slashers koggo 2x bugbear bashers and raelin (RotV). My enemy army was Cyprien Essenwein 5x Amberhive protectors and the Amberhive queen. The map was valledon fortress and the glyphs were valda and wannok.

Round 1: Lost initiative but still rushed in raelin which was a mistake with this army because I can go forward and fall back which ended up leading to her death round 1 but with the rest on the goblins I was able to contest the middle and take wannok while he had valda.

Round 2: I lost initiative which gave him a chance to take out my guys in the middle and push up the field a bit, however on my turn I was able to surround his attackers and push back a bit, for the rest of the round it was mostly just a slug fest right outside of my spawn.

Round 3: It kept going like a slug fest but I was able by the end of the round to position one of my bashers by his queen and almost take it out, by this time I had mostly pushed back his initial attack and contested valda, no one was on wannok anymore. At the end of the round I was finally able to kill his queen and as we looked at the board he only had 5 amberhive protectors left.

Round 4: He started off with the Amberhive Protectors who were able to take wannok and give a bit of push back but not enough, I was able to take out a few more of his protectors in my turn but then cyprien came in. He was not able to do a ton of damage and neither was I so it went back and forth for a while me chasing him down and him doing a wound or so to me each turn.

Round 5: I lost initiative and cyprien killed one of my bugbears and koggo. But I finished off the protectors and moved up the bugbear. Finally I lured cyprien into a trap and he didn't do enough damage to kill my bugbear allowing me to take wannok and get a huge attack where I rolled 4/5 skulls on cyprien. He already had 1 wound and this did 3 more. Then I took wannok and did another wound putting cyprien at one life left. I one the next initiative and was able to finish off cyprien for the win.

The abilities of the slashers I found to be very useful. I found it really useful to be able to weave in and out of his lines without taking leaving engagement while having some bigger heroes dish out the damage against his bigger heroes. I found the slashers to be really fun to play because of how mobile they were and how you could support them with range or big attacks from koggo or the bugbears. Overall I thought they the point value was pretty good for these guys and thought they were a really fun and interesting army. I did not end up using the bugbear's rabble ability and only used bash twice. But I used koggo's clear shot ability just about every time I used him, I only used his cower ability once because most of my goblins were taking the hits however against a ranged army I think I would have used it more.
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:42 PM
I'm Feeling Inspired To Play Some Gladiators

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Point Total: 500 Points
Map: Valledonn’s Fortress
Glyphs: Move +2; Wannok

Player 1 - Army: BodaciousBlood: Cathar x3, Raymond, Motley Max, Marro Warriors
Player 2 - Army: Goblin Slashers x5, Bugbear Basher x2, Urk, Koggo

Which units survived?
3 Cathar, Motley Max (5 health), Raymond (4 health), 4 MW’s

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)

The game went well for the Cathar/Max combo. The gobbo’s were fighting an uphill battle from the start. Cathar were able to take all the choke points swiftly and hold them for the majority of the game. After achieving board control, Max came in with some nice moves and finished off the rest of the opposing army. Really fun, thematic unit. 

The goblins retreat ability was working against them in this matchup. Yes, it allowed for an additional attack from the heroes, but it forced the goblins that did survive the braced spears and engagement strike to face that spikey cactus again.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Max did a total of 6 chain grabs, all of them successful. He caused 6/9 engagement strikes. And then when he failed the engagement strike, he caused two wounds by pulling figures into braced spears. Overall, VERY effective unit. He killed 6 Goblins, a Basher, and Urk. Yet, he only rolled for normal attacks 3 times.

Despite his lower defense, he blocked 4/5 attempts and only took one wound. 

It sure is satisfying to yoink two figures into a wall of spikes. 10/10 recommend.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? Please comment on all units playted with/against

While the game itself was pretty one sided, I do think the goblin slashers have huge potential against other melee armies. Max + Cathar is just a cool anti-melee that really just worked too well and too often this match. The Bashers are really great for their points. 

Max would struggle hard against focused ranged attacks. I guess that’s the intended balancing act.
Old June 25th, 2020, 02:27 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Glyphs: Valda; Wannok
Hero - Army: Ranjit, Rygarn, Marro Warriors, Syvarris, Deathreavers
Dok - Army: Axentia, Siiv, a crap ton of Xulatica Fire Ants (okay it was x5)

Which units survived?
12 Ants, 1/2 Siiv

Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
So a lot of the powers were used this game (which makes sense over 8 rounds). Axentia was a shark and proved a bit annoying to remove with her rebirth causing me to have to kill her all over again at a bad time (since i couldnt kill others with the marro so it was wasted), and her burn was used on her once and on Syvarris once (I think, it was a long day, and its what i have in my notes). The Rebirth killed a Marro and two reavers. Ranjit's boost was used each round and his OM power and while it was "succesful" each time I rolled, I did miss one time where I pulled an x. I liked Ranjit, he seemed more interesting than i thought at first glance, while Axentia was a bit annoying. She might need a reduction in life/other stats (to make it so you dont have to deal 14 damage) or an increase in points, but I'm guessing other tests will tell.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old June 25th, 2020, 01:19 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
Glyphs: Valda; Wannok
Hero - Army: Ranjit, Rygarn, Marro Warriors, Syvarris, Deathreavers
Dok - Army: Axentia, Siiv, a crap ton of Xulatica Fire Ants (okay it was x5)

Which units survived?
12 Ants, 1/2 Siiv

Spoiler Alert!

So a lot of the powers were used this game (which makes sense over 8 rounds). Axentia was a shark and proved a bit annoying to remove with her rebirth causing me to have to kill her all over again at a bad time (since i couldnt kill others with the marro so it was wasted), and her burn was used on her once and on Syvarris once (I think, it was a long day, and its what i have in my notes). The Rebirth killed a Marro and two reavers. Ranjit's boost was used each round and his OM power and while it was "succesful" each time I rolled, I did miss one time where I pulled an x. I liked Ranjit, he seemed more interesting than i thought at first glance, while Axentia was a bit annoying. She might need a reduction in life/other stats (to make it so you dont have to deal 14 damage) or an increase in points, but I'm guessing other tests will tell.
This is a solid summary of the game. A few thoughts, mostly just emphasizing points above:
  • Axentia takes a long time to kill

• Phoenix Rising triggered in a highly advantageous way for me this game. Not only did it kill 3 figures including the Marro that attacked it, but since the other three Marro had no targets in range aside from Axentia, it wasted the remainder of their attacks. This ended up having a huge impact on the game as Axentia lived long enough to track down and kill two more Marro Warriors.

I don't think this is an issue, thematically - it makes sense that Axentia doesn't rise from the ashes instantaneously. But it means that a lot of the time, she's even tougher than you'd think for 14 life.

• One of the nice things about Ranjit is that when you start actually revealing numbered OMs on him, Diplomatic Subterfuge keeps those turns pretty efficient.
Old June 25th, 2020, 12:24 PM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

It’s been a while since I did OHS. When placing armies, does the first player place their entire army and then the second player places their entire army, or do we take turns placing 1 army card’s worth of figures until all figures are placed?
Old June 25th, 2020, 12:42 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
It’s been a while since I did OHS. When placing armies, does the first player place their entire army and then the second player places their entire army, or do we take turns placing 1 army card’s worth of figures until all figures are placed?
entire army
Old June 25th, 2020, 01:15 PM

Thanks kd!
Old June 25th, 2020, 06:18 PM

SoA & KoS Round 1

Quote:

The Knight of Scape v. Son of Arathorn pool of armies is:
* Rainbow Alliance: Ranjit Singh, Syvarris, Krav Maga Agents, Zetacron, Marro Warriors, Siiv, Isamu
* Makwa Hunting Party: Teeth of the Makwa x5, Makwa Tribesman x1, Raelin (RotV), Kira Jax
* Bugs in Black: Amberhive Protectors x4, Sujoah, Krav Maga Agents, Isamu
* ALIENS: Children of the Dark Star x4, Agga-Zemir, Marro Warriors, Black Wyrmling x2
Knight of Scape chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Son of Arathorn chooses who places first.
We'll be getting underway here in about 45 minutes, barring a delay or early start.
Old June 25th, 2020, 09:59 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played with AgentWard earlier today.

Which units survived?
AgentWard won with 3 HSBs, 4 Cutters, 1 full life Bugbear, & 1 2-life bugbear.

General Battle Report/Flow of game
I moved Sujoah to Valda and had 8 move protectors for the first 3 rounds. Rounds 1 & 2 consisted mostly of trading cutters & protectors (very slow and tedious opening, neither had much attack and with the cutters scurrying everywhere). We each traded like 3-6 of those low-cost units before AgentWard moved onto the HSBs. The cutters had brought my queen down to 1 life, which the HSBs finished off quickly. With my needing to use Special Attacks (killing my own figures) to do much damage to the HSBs, that engagement went in AgentWard's favor and I was never able to get the HSBs below one full squad.

How useful were the playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Amberhive Queen: The Queen's initiative boost was activated in round 2 & 3. Round 2 it was not enough to overcome AW's roll but in round 3 it made the difference to win me initiative. The Queen had very few chances to give a 2nd attack to my Protectors, and the only one that hit led to another futile 1-attack against a HSB.

Amberhive Protectors: Had to use their SA when attacking HSBs when at level ground because 1 v 4 was so useless. When I had height, I generally used a 2-attack regular attack instead of the SA to save some protectors.

Bugbear Basher: Only activated one on a single OM; had minimal to no effect on the game.

Any additional comments
Amberhive protectors v. cutters wasn't the world's most interesting matchup; lots of very low attacks and not much happening on each OM. The protectors were quite fun, especially at 8 move for most of the game with valda. Sujoah is still over priced; frankly, a 50-90 point uncommon hero that you could bring 2 of would be a more interesting and probably competitive army. The army would be helped alot by include MWs, but so would almost every army. Probably not the best army for Raelin or Rats though.

Thanks for the game AgentWard.
Old June 26th, 2020, 08:07 PM

Cuzmo_of_Gilead is surprisingly tart

The Scaperedude v. Cuzmo_of_Gilead pool of armies is:
* Motley Bunch: Marro Stingers x3, Nakita Agents, Motley Max, Izumi Samurai
* The Frying Pan: Warforged Soldiers x4, Axentia
* Nilfheim to the Max: Greenscale Warriors x3, Nilfheim, Motley Max
* Marcus Rising: Roman Legionnaires x3, Axentia, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Me-Burq-Sa, Marcu Esenwein
Cuzmo_of_Gilead chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Scaperedude chooses who places first.

This should be going down in about an hour (9 EST). Armies have not been chosen yet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting