Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: How to Host Your First Heroscape Tournament

You got that right.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I *love* the "number one goal" reality check. Terrific.

There is no local Heroscape scene that I've been able to find, but your post has inspired me to try and start one. I've got lots of questions, but will start with just a few. They are random, and not necessarily the most important issues, but I'll circle back round and get to everything eventually.

1) Regarding the #1 goal. Any recommended venues for advertising your tournaments beyond heroscapers? Do you have luck on BGG or in FLGS bulletin boards, etc?

2) Does the $5 turn anybody off that you're aware of? I live in a college town and if I were to strive to keep it VERY local, hosting it here, a certain percentage of players will be possibly cash-strapped college students. Have you experimented with an optional fee, but no-prize-for-you-if-you-don't-pay-it option?

3) FLGS may not be an option for me. One has no tables (I think?). The other recently moved and I'll have to check them out. Regarding the library option, you didn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement. "I’ve attended one of those, it works." Is there something inherently better about the FLGS? I'm pretty sure our library is going to have a cleaner facility! (I'm also considering hosting it on campus since rooms are available cheaply). Any concerns with hosting it at someone's house if they have the tables and generous space in the basement beyond the risks of inviting complete strangers to your house?

4) Recommendations for the "flow" of the tournament? People show up, check-in at a table, get registered/armies looked over (?), get name tag, then...

I'll start you off with those questions so as not to overwhelm you.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:30 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
2) Does the $5 turn anybody off that you're aware of? I live in a college town and if I were to strive to keep it VERY local, hosting it here, a certain percentage of players will be possibly cash-strapped college students. Have you experimented with an optional fee, but no-prize-for-you-if-you-don't-pay-it option?
I think $5 is a very measly amount to pay, and I've always payed it happily. But, back in December I went to a Chicagoland Tourney, where you could choose to just "Free Play" meaning, No fees, but you can't win a prize. I think roughly 20% of the people chose to free play, and it seemed to work fine.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old February 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

1) I advertised for my tourney in the game shop window, front desk, and on their site. We got a good 3 players from that for of advertisement. Fliers at the library and school brought in another 4-5 players.

2) 5$ Hasn't ever been a complaint for any of my attendees.

3) Game shop's usually just fit the theme, and are prepared to rent-out at a cheaper price (at least the ones I've been to).

Hope that helps.

If your asking D_S exclusively, then I apologize.
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:29 AM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
D_S has already answered this, but I'll add my perspective as well. We do a lot of our events in local shops, because we happen to be lucky enough to live in an area with a pretty spectacular gaming environment. I've been to the events in Baltimore and love the venues there. We've had events in NJ and in various parts of southeastern PA, and almost all of them were great, with the sole exception of one place with a great play space but terrible, terrible parking. And I think the consensus among most of us is that we want to give back to the shop so that we are going to continue to be welcomed. I run almost all of my events at an amazing shop in West Chester, PA, called the Games Keep, and I want to make sure that if the owner is providing table space for us on a regular basis that we're helping his business, because that will make sure that he's still there the next time we want to play and that he will be willing to have us come and play. So we do the same model, a $5 fee that goes entirely to gift certificates for the winners. That usually works out to somewhere between $60 and $100 for the store, which isn't a lot of cash but it's something. That's just my take, and if you're not playing in a shop, then that certainly factors into your equation.
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nirek wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Any suggestions for Swiss if you have an odd number of players?

I'm running my upcoming tourney with a friend, so I think what we'll do is if there are an odd number of players, we'll switch off playing the same army, and if we happen to win, split our winnings. If it's an even number, I think we'll both play.
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The prize for "Most Apologies Per Post" goes to... ... Joseph Sweeney!

I wanted the OP and second posts to myself. I hope people will offer their own experience and perspective elsewhere. Thanks, boromir and js, for your contributions. I'll get to my own thoughts later when I'm not phone posting.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The prize for "Most Apologies Per Post" goes to... ... Joseph Sweeney!
I don't apologies that much.....do I?

I only apologize when I am/or could be at fault. I don't like to fight or argue with people.

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; February 11th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

No worries. I was just messing with you a little bit. Thanks for your input!

= =
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
No worries. I was just messing with you a little bit. Thanks for your input!
I knew that. But I was just asking if...perhaps...ah, never mind.
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

There ya go. Now you're getting it.

= =
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not sure why another stickey as we already have:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=2117

Which has alot of good information on hosting HS tournaments.

I can agree with much of what was posted, however I have to say I would not get put a lot of emphasis on holding the tourney at a Hobby Shop or Game Store... while they are ok I think public areas give the game much more exposure as well typically give your gamers more room and most likely a nicer venue to play - IMO.

I'm good with a nomial fee to get in they tourney ( which goes 100% toward prizes ) but you stopped short of having the tournament host also look for other prizes in the way of donations or better yet promotions. I've taken pride that the Tree Town Open always have sent all the gamers home with many more $$ worth of prizes than they spent in their entry fee.

I can go on forever talking about tournament planing... I think even the First Tree Town Open was planed well, but I can say every tournament we learn something and can use that to improve the next. Basically just ask your self what did you like about a tournement you attended. What would have done to make it better... it is a simple recipe.

Anyway look forward to more HS tournaments ... hope more spring up here in the upper mid-west.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events