Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old April 10th, 2009, 03:29 AM

rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby!
Rouby's Maps: CTF/Reinforcements Scenario 10-16-09

Hello all,
I put a lot of thought into the design of my maps, with the game-play they tend to generate being my number one priority. At first glance, some of these maps might not look like anything special, but I hope you'll take a second look and imagine how they might play out. Your comments and constructive criticism is always welcome. Thanks and enjoy!

Map Directory:
Convergence at the Twin Bridges
Reqs: 2 RotV, 1 SotM, 2 RttFF
Players:4
Description:
  • Bilateral symmetry
  • Divided start zones make this an especially tactically-challenging map. Attempt to rush one of your armies over the bridge to sandwich your opponent between a rock and a hard place with nowhere to go! Follow the link for more details.

Crossover
Reqs: 1 RotV, 1 SotM, 2 RttFF
Players: 2
Description:
  • Bilateral symmetry
  • Divided start zones add a strategic twist to this map.
  • Lots of LOS blockers help melee fighters, but also a few strong positions for ranged figures exist (e.g., the rock jutting out of the stream; the bridges are the highest points on the map and may be defended easily due to the few access points).

Drudge Match
Reqs: 1 RotV*, 1 SotM, 1 TJ, and 1 FotA
Description:
  • Rotational Symmetry
  • A good balance between range, flight, and melee.
  • The Marro Drudge might actually play competitively on this one!

*plus an additional long ruin, but you could substitute a short ruin with little impact on the map or its game play.

Flooded Marsh
Reqs: 1 RotV, 1 SotM, 1 TJ, 1 FotA, 2 RttFF
Description:
  • Rotational Symmetry
  • Exit your start zone quickly or prepare to be pummeled from both sides!

Fourplay Forest Free-For-All
Reqs: 2 RotV (plus extra walls), 1 SotM, 2 TJ
Players: 4
Description:
  • Rotational Symmetry
  • An extremely dense middle ground that range struggles to penetrate - and you thought melee could never shine in a free-for-all format!

Hallway to Valhalla
Reqs: 1 RotV, 2 FotA, 2 RttFF
Description:
  • Rotational Symmetry
  • Two powerful glyphs are overseen by ranged forces on a nearby hill, but can an opposing melee force ambush them from the relatively safety of the hallway?
  • For play on this map, I recommend "house-ruling" that the castle wall tops are inaccessible to all figures.

Rights of Passage
Reqs: 1RotV, 1 SotM, 1 FotA, 1 TJ, 2 RttFF
Description:
  • Bilateral Symmetry
  • Heat-of-Battle and Skirmish Hybrid: This map mixes two normal start zones (Team 1 - yellow; Team 2 - cyan) with a heat-of-battle start zone (HoB - green). At the beginning of the game, players take turns placing one army card's worth of figures in either their own start zone or on a free space in the heat-of-battle zone. Continue until all figures are placed.

Ruins of Ticalla Marsh
Reqs: 2 RotV, 1 SotM, 1 TJ
Description:
  • Rotational Symmetry
  • Moving through the marsh proves troublesome for those who must go by foot and stop in the swampy waters, yet the jungle and ruins may provide enough cover to undo a force holding the high ground.
  • Fast-moving skirmishers might have a chance at picking off stragglers in the start zone by taking the path outside of the ruins.

Secret Ways
Reqs: 1 RotV, 1 DnD, 2 FotA, 2 RttFF
Description:
  • Rotational Symmetry
  • Features a tunnel concept that utilizes the DnD master set's shadow tiles, allowing for a split-level map with dungeon area below ground!

Thorian Way
Reqs:
2 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 FotA
Players: 4 (or a very large 2-player game)

Woodland Outpost
Reqs: 2 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 FotA
Players: 2 (big enough for 4)
Description:
  • Bilateral symmetry
  • Two towers on one side of the map create intense competition for the critical high ground, but the forest provides ample cover on for those on the opposite side. Glyphs will bring about multiple fronts in this battle.

Woodland Outpost (small version)
Reqs: 1 RotV, 1 RttFF, 1 FotA

Endless Reinforcements
Reqs:
2 RotV, 2 FotA, 1 RttFF
Description:
  • Special Capture-the-flag / Reinforcements scenario. See link for more details.

Last edited by rouby44; July 24th, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added maps
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: First Map - "Drudge Match"

Actually, I think they can get to the glyph on the opposite site of their starting zone in one turn with Swamp Tunnel. That, however, seems to be the only way they can quickly tunnel to the opposite side of the road.

However, from the glyph space, they can tunnel to the high swamp water that's adjacent to Jungle Brush. Nice Map!

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

Not too bad of a map but I don't like how enclosed the middle is plus that requires two master sets because you used the big ruin twice.

Old April 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Sokol knows what's in an order marker Sokol knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl with a k View Post
Not too bad of a map but I don't like how enclosed the middle is plus that requires two master sets because you used the big ruin twice.
Nice first map post rouby44, but I agree with karl with a k. My experience on these narrow maps is a very LONG traffic jam with all my figures waiting their turn to join the frey. I know because I have a natural tendency to build similar maps...

One Game to rule them all, One Game to find them,
One Game to bring them all and in their wallets bind them
In the Land of Valhalla where the Valkyrie lie.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The map looks very good! The only problem is that the Drudge can only swamp water tunnel to a same-level space, which means that they can't even get up there, because of their height of four. But, aside from that, the map looks great!
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
However, from the glyph space, they can tunnel to the high swamp water that's adjacent to Jungle Brush.
This is incorrect. The Drudge can only Swamp Water Tunnel to "same-level" spaces, so at best they could tunnel to the swamp water near the elevated terrain, then walk up next turn, which they cannot do (see below).

From what I can see, the benefit you (rouby44) were going for for the Marro Dudge is negated by the fact that the Marro Drudge CANNOT MAKE IT TO THE ELEVATED SWAMP WATER AT ALL! As I said before, they can't tunnel up there, and their height of 4 and movement of 5 means that there would need to be an elevation change of 3 tiles or less to get up, which there is not. It is either from 0 level swamp water to 4 level high swamp water, or 1 level high land to 5 level high land.

To correct this problem, I recommend removing a single layer in the elevation from those elevated outposts. But good try on your first map, I love playing the Drudge as well!

Edit: Sujoah beat me to it!
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM

rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby!

Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I believe I have rectified the problems with the Drudge being able to reach the glyph in one turn and their inability to reach the high ground. I removed the lone swamp water tile that would allow them to tunnel five spaces to the glyph and lowered the height of those outposts by one, thus allowing the Drudge access.

I also updated the original post with new image files to reflect the changes made.

Drudge Match PDF

Last edited by rouby44; April 10th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Good call on the "same level spaces" on Swamp Water Tunnel - it's been a while since I've played the Drudge at all, let alone even thought about Tunnelling.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
From what I can see, the benefit you (rouby44) were going for for the Marro Dudge is negated by the fact that the Marro Drudge CANNOT MAKE IT TO THE ELEVATED SWAMP WATER AT ALL! As I said before, they can't tunnel up there, and their height of 4 and movement of 5 means that there would need to be an elevation change of 3 tiles or less to get up, which there is not. It is either from 0 level swamp water to 4 level high swamp water, or 1 level high land to 5 level high land.

Edit: Sujoah beat me to it!

I disagree. You can even see on the building plans that the lowest level of swamp water on the map is placed on Lvl 4. That would take THREE move to access the "tower".

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

gorthan313 - yes, since rouby44 changed it, now they can walk up. It is much better now.
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Here is my second map...

The Bog's Gift

(w/ optional scenario play)

Requires 1 RotV, 1 SotM, 1 RttFF, 1 TJ

This map uses a different type of symmetry than what is usually employed in most Heroscape maps - that's why there are no highly asymmetric 24-hex pieces used (except for the start zones) as they prove rather clunky when building this way.

As with most of my maps, I tried to design this one in such a way as to give melee a chance to excel: the map is smallish, features a good amount of cover, has jungle terrain, and the few places to achieve good line of sight and height over the map are easily flanked.

As an optional scenario, you can play that the large 4-hex tree is the "Tree of Life". If playing this scenario, at the end of every round you may roll the 20-sided die for all heroes you control that are adjacent to the tree. If you roll 1, do nothing. If you roll 2-5, remove 1 wound marker. If you roll 6-17, remove 2 wound markers. If you roll 18-20, remove 3 wound markers.

The scenario makes drafting a little bit more interesting and some units that might not normally be go-to choices might excel here. Charos, for instance, could be a real beast with free healing; some might draft lots of heroes in order to maximally benefit from the tree, but the Shades of Bleakewood could prove to be an excellent counter-draft, etc. etc.

If you choose not to play the scenario, I recommend placing a permanent glyph on the hex directly behind the tree.

The Bog's Gift PDF

Last edited by rouby44; April 11th, 2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Re: Rouby's Maps: "Drudge Match", "Bog's Gift" added 4-11-09

Woodland Outpost

Requires 2 RotV, 2 RttFF, 1 FotA

Woodland Outpost PDF

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios