Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:59 AM

Jdao is surprisingly tart
Re: The Army Advice and Feedback Thread

Recently added fyorlag spiders to my collection. Anyone know how to really use them? A solid army at 500 pts I found:

2x wyvern (200)
4x spiders (360)
estivara (440)
and filler, possibly marro warriors?

Or maybe I can do something unexpected like:

4x spiders (160)
wyvern (260)
3x venocs (380)
mittens (500)
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:02 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdao View Post
Recently added fyorlag spiders to my collection. Anyone know how to really use them? A solid army at 500 pts I found:

2x wyvern (200)
4x spiders (360)
estivara (440)
and filler, possibly marro warriors?

Or maybe I can do something unexpected like:

4x spiders (160)
wyvern (260)
3x venocs (380)
mittens (500)
Wyverns are a better bang for the buck than Sujoah against most opposition, that's for certain. I've had a difficult time getting enough of them engaged to make a difference, so your choice to go with at least four of them seems wise as well. Personally, from a 4 Spider, 2 Wyvern base, I'd be tempted to go with a serious range threat in addition. Make your opponent come to you to make your spider activations more valuable. Major Q10 would be excellent in that role.

If you're willing to consider the C3V customs on this site, your best predator to use with them is almost certainly Quahon. 4xSpiders, Quahon, a Wyvern and the Marro Warriors strikes me as a very competitive 500 point army.

~Aldin, who loves Sujoah's sculpt a thousand times more than his board presence

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:09 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If you can squeeze in Venoc Warlord the move 9 should most certainly make up for lack of range. However, being 70 points less than Quahon, I'd have to recommend the dragon unless C3V ain't an option. Spiders are hard to use effectively, although I've found minor success with Spider/Drow armies on smaller maps. Those games were more than 500 points though.

~TAF, who loves the spider/predator faction more than they love him

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old February 5th, 2015, 09:55 PM

Jdao is surprisingly tart

I'll definitely play a few games with them to test their effectiveness firsthand. I am really liking the spiders/wyvern + q10 ranged support idea. That would help against their paper defense against ranged. Spiders seem like they have so much flexibility. 9 move with warlord would also make a very fun rushing army
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:40 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

warlord 120
estivia 200
wyvern 300
5 spiders 500

warlord 120
2 wyverns 320
4 spiders 480
Marcu 500

This 2nd army will be the better of the two with bonding going on all the time with 2 wyverns & the spiders moving 9. Marcu is your last ditch man after Mittens goes down, but you could trade him for 2 10 point guys if you prefer.

-------------------------edit below ------------------------

I think in your army you mean 2 venoc's, 3 would cost more points.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

100 Ornak
340 Fen Hydra x2
460 Grimnak
530 Heavy Gruts
550 Marcu
550pts/11hexes

Or drop Grimak and Marcu for 2 more squads of Gruts?

Or at 600, drop Marcu and add another squad of Heavy Gruts?
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I might leave the 550 as-is. It's tempting to add more gruts, but they're mostly going to be for moving Ornak and cleanup, so it depends. If you're finding your opponent has too many figs left after the Hydras die, then you might wanna up the gruts.

At 600 I'd definitely drop Marcu for an extra squad.

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I have 2 sets of RotV figures (except for the Marro Warriors), along with the Elite Onyx Vipers, Orm's Return Heroes, Wave 1 Heroes, and 3 squads of Roman Legionnaires and 2 of each Blade/Arrow Gruts. What are my best 400-600pt armies??

I've made:

Soldiers/Warlords
100 MDG
250 Romans x3
360 Airborne Elite
450 Ne-Gok-Sa
530 Raelin
530pts/19hexes

Orcs
150 Mimring
270 Grimnak
370 Tornak
450 Blade Gruts x2
530 Arrow Gruts x2
530pts/20hexes
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The first army there is excellent. While it seems tempting to play the Orcs together like that in the second army, there's really no reason to do so. Also the AGs are awfully weak without swog riders. Something like Raelin+Krav+Marro Warriors would be better than the AGs there.
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:16 PM

Thanks dok!

What about just dropping Raelin from both armies then?

Last edited by Sheep; November 16th, 2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old November 16th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Why would you wanna do that?

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old November 16th, 2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Why would you wanna do that?
Oh we are thinking slightly differently... I'm thinking those are the only two armies that I'd play so what's the point of putting Raelin in both armies? You're just thinking what the lines of the best army I can build, so keeping Raelin in those armies makes them better.

I originally didn't mention that I have one squad Blastatrons, Deathstalkers, Marrden Hounds, and Sacred Band and 2 squads of Zombies. Also, I gave my girlfriend the Wave 8: Soldiers & Wolves booster to open last night so I now also have a squad the 10th and the WoBs.

Without proxying, I know that doesn't give me much but I know the Deathstalkers/Hounds are good proxies for each other and I have a squad of 4th (missing Card) that I could proxy as the 10th. The Sacred Band/Romans proxy also proxy well as each other.

How's:

Einar's Discipline
200 Greeks or Romans x4
350 10th Regiment of Foot x2
450 MDG
450pts/25hexes (drop one Greek or Roman)

Hive Supremacy
160 Su-Bak-Na
250 Ne-Gok-Sa
430 Marrden Hounds x2
480 Marro Warriors
480pts/19hexes

Anyway I could get the Zombies or the Vipers into an army? It doesn't necessarily have to be competitive, just as fun as possible. Thanks everyone!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion