Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 24th, 2014, 12:18 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Army Advice and Feedback Thread

Well met!

Long Island-IslandScape Tournament July 19th, 2104!!!!
PRACTICE/ALTERNATE SESSION FOR ISLANDSCAPE 2014

• Players bring one, pre-drafted, 510 point Heroscape army which can only include figures from the below list of Classic Heroscape, Dungeons and Dragons Heroscape, SoV and C3V custom Heroscape figures.
(No Marvel, C3G, Star Wars HoSS, or other custom figures will be allowed).

• Army size is limited to 24 spaces.

On Wednesday, June 25 from Noon until 6 PM [10:00 until 5:00, as I am going to a memorial service at 6:00 for a suddenly deceased friend.] and possibly into the evening, the New York City Gang of Four will be holding a practice session for the event!

Tomorrow is almost here! I am looking forward to our little mock Islandscape, and have built the following army for it.

240 WoB x 3
140 Morgoloth
130 DW8000
510, 11 spaces

The maps for this game are up, and 2 of them feature Ice and Snow, while the other 2 have a fair amount of Water.

Map: Relic
Date Uploaded: 02/16/14
Requires: 1 RotV, 2 TJ

Map:
Proximity
Date Uploaded: 4/23/11
Requires: 1 RotV, 2 TT
Normal snow, normal ice.

Map: Separation Anxiety
Date Uploaded: 11/1/09
Requires: 1 RotV, 2 TT
Rules: Heavy Snow, normal ice

Map: Ruins of Ticalla
Upload: 10/15/12
Requirements: 1 RotV, 2 Ticalla Jungle,
FotA ladders, and an extra set of ruins.
Author: Nomad

My question is: What do you all think about subbing in a Greater Ice Elemental for DW8000?
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Don't do it, you need the range.

~Aldin, up close and personally

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:28 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Don't do it, you need the range.

~Aldin, up close and personally
I look at it as a double edged sword. If you use the Jungle and glaciers to your advantage, blocking LoS and boosting your melee figures defense, add in the Greater Ice Elemental. However, if you think on the jungle maps, you might get overrun, it might be nice to have DW8K (who has an SA) to gun down any figures that got survived the wolf and Morgoloth onslaught. The flip side of this is that if you have all range, who cares about countering the jungle because jungle only works against range, so once your Wolves, Morgoloth, and [add in the GIE] Ice Elementals engage the opponent the jungle won't matter. I can go either way (and I guess you can use ounce for your SA)

Add in the GIE.
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:23 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

For Online Season 15 (3 Half Armies, 295pts/10figs each):

Possible Half Armies 1:

Half Army 1 - Nick (C3V) + DS Thrall (C3V) + BB Thrall (C3V) x2 + PB Thrall (C3V) x2
Half Army 2 - Raelin (RotV) + SoA (C3V) x2
Halk Army 3 - Cyprien + Sonya + KMA

Possible Half Armies 2:

Half Army 1 - 8th Infantry Pathfinder (C3V) x6 + Capt. John Varan (C3V)
Half Army 2 - Braxas/Charos* + Rats x2
Half Army 3 - Sgt. Drake Alexander + Airborne Elite + Isamu

*Charos for Valiant theme?

Possible Half Armies 3:

Half Army 1 - Templar Cavalry x2 + Marro Warriors
Half Army 2 - Sir Dupuis + Torin + Marcu
Half Army 3 - Raelin (RotV) + Phantom Knights x3
Old August 17th, 2014, 08:44 PM

GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker GTigers55 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
For Online Season 15 (3 Half Armies, 295pts/10figs each):

Possible Half Armies 1:

Half Army 1 - Nick (C3V) + DS Thrall (C3V) + BB Thrall (C3V) x2 + PB Thrall (C3V) x2
Half Army 2 - Raelin (RotV) + SoA (C3V) x2
Halk Army 3 - Cyprien + Sonya + KMA

Possible Half Armies 2:

Half Army 1 - 8th Infantry Pathfinder (C3V) x6 + Capt. John Varan (C3V)
Half Army 2 - Braxas/Charos* + Rats x2
Half Army 3 - Sgt. Drake Alexander + Airborne Elite + Isamu

*Charos for Valiant theme?

Possible Half Armies 3:

Half Army 1 - Templar Cavalry x2 + Marro Warriors
Half Army 2 - Sir Dupuis + Torin + Marcu
Half Army 3 - Raelin (RotV) + Phantom Knights x3
The way I play is all about synergy, and frankly, I can't even judge most of these because I don't use C3V. I only use the official scape myself. But, I'm just gonna guess that the Half Armies Three would be pretty weak unless the other half of the army was strong.

Half Army 2, I would go braxas over charos because rats blow up the Valiant theme (assuming you're referring to the 4th's bonus) regardless.

Wright State Raider since 2014.
Trade List 8/15/14
Sculpt Polls!
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:30 PM

legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby! legoboy rolls all skulls baby!
Cool Re: The Army Advice and Feedback Thread

At club this year, I have a student who is having an amazing amount of luck with an army that doesn't seem (to me) like it should be that good.

He is playing
Charos
Major Q9
Krav Maga
Isamu

My students are complaining that his army is unbeatable. I know it isn't so, but wanted some opinions. What 500 point army would you use to beat this?

Spoiler Alert!
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoboy View Post
At club this year, I have a student who is having an amazing amount of luck with an army that doesn't seem (to me) like it should be that good.

He is playing
Charos
Major Q9
Krav Maga
Isamu

My students are complaining that his army is unbeatable. I know it isn't so, but wanted some opinions. What 500 point army would you use to beat this?

Spoiler Alert!
Honestly, I think his army is pretty darned good. KMA/Q9 as the A-listers to whittle down range and then Charos/Isamu as brutal melee cleanup.

I'd go:

AE 110
TKN 220
3xGrubs 90
Raelin 80
500/16

He'll spend too much time killing Raelin at which point TKN stomps on the KMA and then bashes Q9, winning the war of attrition vs. Charos by virtue of the Grubs. The AE support the plan differently depending on when they drop. An early drop puts them on height vs. Q9, a late drop makes them clean up vs. Charos.

I think DCoT/Warhulk makes for a great choice as well.

~Aldin, happy to see this thread resurface

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:08 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I like the Hydras - big hits are a great counter to that army. But I don't love Krav and rats there.

Maybe Raelin, Hydra x2, Cyprien, filler? Cyprien bombs in to take down the krav then tries to chill Charos, Raelin and the Hydras roll up and finish the rest. You could also use 2 squads of PKs instead of Cyprien.

I also don't hate Greenscales/Raelin, with either Niflheim or Charos. Charos, GSW x3, Raelin is actually pretty solid there.

Most fun counter: Raelin, Kurrok, 8 Fire Elementals, Marcu.
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

+1 for DCs/Warhulk

Or
Atlaga
Minions x2
Stingers x3
Isamu
500/17

Atlaga has a 25% chance to ruin a day, no rats to slow down 5 move Minions, and don't be bashful with Drain against high D heroes.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old January 6th, 2015, 06:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I mean, Raelin and 7 squads of stingers is a pretty solid choice too. At some point you might have to leak some out to get the Krav but that's OK.

Or, in keeping with my previous suggestion, drop 2-3 squads of stingers for Cyprien, or a couple squads of PKs, or 4 black wyrms, or something else that can reliably bag the Krav. The stinger horde should be able to deal with Q9 and Charos.
Old January 6th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As long as there's no Krav left Charos/Q9 shouldn't be too bad.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 12th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Any Dwarf build should do the trick, dwarves are extremly good against big heroes and the bonding Dwarf heroes are also very good against high defense heroes. Darrack can do big damage for small cost, Morgrimm autowound on 15+ and Migol can lock Charos.

The only problem is Kravs but with no screen to protect them you just have to use 6 move at the right time and they die.

I also like Killometer choice. Minions are huge here.
Raelin+Atlaga+3xMinions maybe?

On a map which is melee friendly you can just go for any heavy melee stuff which hits strong: Westons, Horned Skulls Brutes, DCoT (need Raelin), Heavies, Havech Eradicators...

Summary:
2x Phantoms Knights, Raelin, 4x Stingers, Marcu, Isamu, Otonashi
3x Minions, Atlaga, Raelin
2xMinions, Atlaga, 3xStingers
3x Dwarves, Migol, Darrack, Morgrimm
3xDwarves, Migol, 3x Stingers
4xDwarves, Morgrimm, Raelin, Marcu
4xDcoT, Raelin, 2xOgre Pulverizer
4x Havech Eradicators, Raelin, Marros Warriors
4xHorned Skulls Brutes, Raelin, Kaemon Awa
5x Heavy Gruts, Tornak, Nerak
4x Westons, Sir Gilbert, Raelin, Marcu, Isamu
5x Westons, Sir Gilbert, Marcu, Isamu, Otonashi

Last edited by Foudzing; January 12th, 2015 at 12:28 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion