Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old January 22nd, 2023, 10:49 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Conan is a great character but I really like one of his lesser known characters, Cormac Mac Art.

Old January 23rd, 2023, 02:04 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Oh Huh

Forgot about this thread.

In the past four months I have read,

Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
Seasonal Fears by Seanan McGuire
October Daye series by Seanan McGuire (16 books)
Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett
Swords, Spells, and Stealth series by Drew Hayes (5 books)
Dreadnought by April Daniels

Plan on reading the sequel to Dreadnought and then I'm going to pick up McGuire's Incryptid series. After that, who knows?

~Dysole, who has been reading a lot lately
Old January 23rd, 2023, 10:43 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Impressive list there Dysole. Do you prefer electronic or hard copy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Conan is a great character but I really like one of his lesser known characters, Cormac Mac Art.
Yeah, Cormac is pretty obscure, cool character.
Love how he had a sidekick.

One of my favorites is the Bran Brak and Kull crossover.

My favorite character is St Agnes and after that Black Turlough.
He had so many great characters.
One guy would re tell his past lives so each story was about a different character. That was cool because you never new how it would end for him.

The boxer stories are fun as well. Really like his HPL style stories.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; January 23rd, 2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2023, 11:52 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Preference

Paperback.

Hilariously, book 16 of the October Daye series I got an ebook instead of a physical copy because hardback was the only option and the rest were in paperback. A ton of friends all immediately understood when I explained.

~Dysole, and how she found out she had a ton of reading friends
Old January 23rd, 2023, 01:09 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

This year I've read so far:

Three Rode North by Al Conroy
Solomon Kane: Skulls in the Stars by Robert E. Howard
Solomon Kane: The Hills of the Dead by Robert E. Howard
Swords Against the Shadowlands by Robin Wayne Bailey
Down To a Sunless Sea by Lin Carter
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

and I'm currently reading Armor by John Steakley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old January 23rd, 2023, 09:35 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Without God by Zachary Broom.

Old January 24th, 2023, 07:32 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

1. Lots of history related biographies from a retired librarian friend lately: Robert the Bruce, Oliver Cromwell, Charles II, Peter the Great and Douglas MacArthur. You learn something new every time! Having now grown into a crusty old coot with lots of life experience, I read more biographies than I used to do in general, which always helps me get perspective on life!

2. My self study Venice project, starting with a hard to get The Secret Venice of Corto Maltese: Fantastic and Hidden Itineraries by Hugo Pratt, Guido Fuga, and Lele Vianello a good pal found for me, after I failed to buy it on my trip to Venice, and it turned out seemingly not available back here in the USA (check out the International Amazon site)! I like to call that city "Disneyland For Adults." There was so much to see there in the four or five days I had years ago, but this book reveals much I didn't get to see.

Pals of the artist and creator of the graphic novel character Corto Maltese, an ex merchant seaman Indiana Jones type of adventurer around WWI (yes, I do own the obscure Corto board game by Metagot) was Hugo Pratt, who roamed his native Venice write down some of the many walks they took together there. I've also read several novels about the more well known fictional Venician detective Comissario Guido Brunetti by Donna Leon, an American who lived in that city for years, and draws unforgettable portraits of the society there. So in this way I get to revisit the amazing City by proxy! I'll be showing the pal who got me the book some travel videos of Venice I have soon as a reward, since he's never been there (his girlfriend has).
Old January 24th, 2023, 10:58 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Plague of Shadows - Michael Wisehart

-insert signature here-
Old February 7th, 2023, 12:00 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
This year I've read so far:

Three Rode North by Al Conroy
Solomon Kane: Skulls in the Stars by Robert E. Howard
Solomon Kane: The Hills of the Dead by Robert E. Howard
Swords Against the Shadowlands by Robin Wayne Bailey
Down To a Sunless Sea by Lin Carter
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

and I'm currently reading Armor by John Steakley.
I finished Armor and also read The Stalking Moon by TV Olson and Black Gate 15 (a fantasy anthology from 2011 I picked up from a library sale.)

Just started Tarzan the Untamed by E.R. Burroughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old April 8th, 2023, 09:21 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Terry Pratchert's Discworld series; I've read more than ten of them so far. Borrowing them from a pal. I love some of the characters and am old enough to catch many of his pop and other cultural references.

Having just finished watching all Five Seasons of The Last Kingdom on disk, I discovered I could get all 13 books by Bernard Cornwell (I'm an old Sharpe fan) from Amazon for 39% off, and they arrived. I'm about halfway through the first one. Before this purchase I read a selection from it online, and liked what I read. Also many posters on BGG recommended them. Once you start you literally don't want to put it down; luckily I'm retired.
Old April 20th, 2024, 09:23 AM

After The Last Kingdom, I continued reading historical novel series.

The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon is a seven volume series on the French and English kings at the start of the Hundred Years War. George R. R. Martin credits it as one of his sources for Game of Thrones, but this earlier series from the 1950s is not as well know here in the States, as it was not translated and made available until fairly recently. This French series had two TV series which were never translated/subtitled into English. The author was a member of the French Resistance in WWII and eventually the head of the Academie Francaise, that nation's famous top literary association.

Just finished Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian Trilogy about Britons vs Saxons in post Roman Britain. He has a great mechanism where the last surviving Arthurian warrior is writing the story of his old times. His patron princess wants him to include more of the romance tales that have sprung up since then; but he sticks to what actually happened.

This clever device reflects on the author's picking and choosing which aspects of the Arthurian legends he keeps and which he discards in his own unique telling of the "King Arthur" stories as opposed to the mostly unknown history of those 'Dark Age' times about which little is still known!

Last edited by chas; April 20th, 2024 at 10:03 AM.
Old April 20th, 2024, 09:33 AM

Most of this last year I joined the local Science Fiction book club. Each month a member chooses a book for us to read and discuss, and I recently did one myself, which resulted in a session in which the 8 attendees (of perhaps 12 total members) enjoyed. This gang has been around for years.

We've read the following during my tenure in the group, which is made of up mostly older folk. These have included both old classics I never read and brand new volumes:

We Are Legion by Dennis E. Taylor*
Willful Child by Steven Erikson*
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
The Mountain In The Sea by Ray Nayler
Changing Planes by Ursula K. Le Guin
Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng
An Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair (my presentation)
A Fall Of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke
The Night Shift by Natalka Burian

Five More Books:

*The first books of trilogies I completed on my own

Red Shirts by John Scalzi (as suggested by the group)

Last edited by chas; April 20th, 2024 at 10:07 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books