Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old June 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!
Re: D2 - changes in the base size

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru View Post
I was at my FLGS the other day taking a look at the D&D single minis they had available.

I realized that with the new bases, I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing Heroscape figures in those cases available for singles purchases just like the D&D and SW minis in some stores.
Well that would be a very very positive change indeed!

After I get my head around the issue maybe I can come to terms with it...

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:23 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Its no big deal either way, but here's the obvious question from us non D&D players. In what way do smaller bases fit other game maps/boards/spaces etc.?
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Takanuva has disabled reputation

I've never seen one in person, but apparently D&D boards have little squares that are to small for Heroscape bases.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JairEmia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru View Post
I was at my FLGS the other day taking a look at the D&D single minis they had available.

I realized that with the new bases, I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing Heroscape figures in those cases available for singles purchases just like the D&D and SW minis in some stores.
Well that would be a very very positive change indeed!

After I get my head around the issue maybe I can come to terms with it...
Agreed! That would be very welcomed indeed. I like the fact I can us Auggie for some singles here and there, but a store I could actually walk into and find them would be a neat change.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Its no big deal either way, but here's the obvious question from us non D&D players. In what way do smaller bases fit other game maps/boards/spaces etc.?
DnD is usually played on table maps that have 1 inch squares which represent 5 feet. The default small bases in Heroscape are too big to fit in them. The new smaller bases, however, will fit.

This isn't the case with the double space figures. Large figures in DnD sit on 2 inch circular bases. I'm not sure how the double space Heroscape bases fit in that, but determined players will manage.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

For the most part I'm OK with the new bases, but I really don't like the inconsistency between old and new bases. There could be a whole lot of positioning flexibility that the new have that the old won't. That could make a big difference when checking LOS. I would love to see them all one or the other, but I'm OK with the implications these have for the game as a whole and its future. I wish the old could be retrofitted to the new bases, but I know that just isn't going to be possible for some units. On the other hand I wouldn't be too upset with a future "throwback" re-release of the D2 figures with the old school bases. I would still be upset, but not too upset.
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker

I actually like the smaller bases as it will assist with storage. It seems like the bases are in the way when I throw them into the tackle type boxes that never seem to have enough room.

Now you can get the figure even closer to the jungle tiles (in the bush) and be more difficult to see.

I feel the changes are beneficial for scapes future. The mechanics of our game is the same with new and different figures for scape. I can see getting mad if they reused current scape figures for new and different units.

I do like the Rockers and Squash figures along with the promos, just sayin!
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby! Ace Histoli rolls all skulls baby!

Meh. I think we've got bigger fish to fry than worrying about the based. When it comes to existential threats to the future of our beloved game, this is pretty weak sauce, especially with Guru's dropped hint that when older stuff is re-released it'll have old school bases.

For me, by far the biggest effect will be that it's easier to fit a squad of figures into a tackle box section.

Edit: ninja'd by insomnimaniac

Eagerly awaiting March of 2017 & August of 2019, when my little Grimnaks achieve the recommended minimum age for Master Rules...

Last edited by Ace Histoli; June 12th, 2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Isn't it funny how this always happens?
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM

KenM is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

IMO the real reason for the base size change is simple, money. If WOTC is now handling heroscape and they are putting Scape minis out based on the old DnD minis they have, then they don't have to pay someone to rebase what they have. Just repackage and done.
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
IMO the real reason for the base size change is simple, money. If WOTC is now handling heroscape and they are putting Scape minis out based on the old DnD minis they have, then they don't have to pay someone to rebase what they have. Just repackage and done.
Except the bases are still different from D&D bases, as I understand it.

I really couldn't care less. Truth's "official" explanation seems perfectly reasonable. Why the hell shouldn't other gamers be able to play with our figs?

I'm not a bit bothered by the new bases but I am *very* excited that the preview hints that, at least in Truth's mind, there are rereleases to come. Come back, Aubriens, Heavies and Werewolves!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The Base change is a great idea and I'm glad they did it.
I actually play 1inch grid games from time to time. I also play 1inch hex stuff from time to time. The normal bases didn't fit on those formats. Just like we enjoy making customs for heroscape, other gamers enjoy making customs for other games too. If you have ever used a figure from any other game to make a custom for heroscape then you should be able to acknowledge that someone might want to do the same thing for another game.

I've used DnD minis in heroscape before they had ever talked about MS3. I also used HS minis for DnD before MS3 was ever a thought. The biggest problem was most people found it really annoying to have the HS base slightly too large for the normal grid. You couldn't pack a squad of blade gruts into a small area the way you wanted too.

This is great news. Now I can get a bundle of little dragons in a single package, or open a dungeon door chuck full of goblins and actually get them to fit in the room. All while spending half as much money as I used too becuase I don't need separate minis for each game anymore.

The bases have changed, you loose a minor asthetic of the HS game but the change is so worth it!

The new bases are not DnD bases
The new bases fit on ladders
The new bases will without a doubt help sell the game. (I don't care why someone else is buying it as long as it keeps the game alive. HS is my primary concern here.)

The new customs look great. Keep 'em Coming!
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I honestly didn't even notice the base thing in the pictures until I read the text pointing it out. Not really a big deal to me.
What I do find interesting is that we seem to be moving in a direction (changes in so many things over time from card stock and styles to figure styles and theme to bases and so on) where it will be an increasingly easy transition to a fully community custom Heroscape game when the game ultimately does stop being sold.
I really look forward to seeing the game continuing to grow and develop even when official product eventually ceases.
The need for so many changes in order to try to keep the game economically viable does help open eyes to the realism that nothing is forever - no matter how much we love this game, it too shall pass at some point. Maybe it's the one in a million Monopoly type of game that lives on in official releases for generations, but that seems a highly unrealistic expectation, especially given all the developments of recent years.
I'm glad it's here now and still going strong, but I'm looking ahead and seeing what the next moves for this community can be after the official product is done. I hope a lot of you guys are still around when that happens. I know I will be.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News