Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 9th, 2012, 03:35 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
The game lacks a banish/destroy mechanic, or at least needs more banish/destroy type action cards (I think there's only 1-2).
I found the Shattered Dreams card (trash two cards from your discard pile along with the Shattered Dreams card) to be a must to get the weak ammo cards out.

The game did seem like a progression. Grab action cards first so you can get combos going (the ammo always seems to run short, which is actually pretty thematic), then ammo up and get weapons. Then after a few turns of doing that, brave the mansion... if you dare.

I think the randomness of the mansion is what falls flat for me. The possibility of drawing the big baddie early I don't care for, and if that happens then you may have to go through the entire deck to see him again which can really prolong things.

Does the Boss Infected have to be destroyed in order for their to be a winner? What if all players are killed off? Is the person with the most decorations the winner or does everyone lose?
You pretty much nailed the gameplay. I'm not a fan of the randomness either. I've had the boss be the 2nd or 3rd card drawn. To answer your questions, the boss must be killed to stop the game. If all players are killed off, the infected win.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

I drove 3 hours on Sat. to connect with my old Meetup Group, BoardGames_NJ and only got to play 1x session of "Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game" for 3 more hours. Very interesting concept with ten decks of cards to randomize the events and keep each adventure new and different. The mechanics are simple enough to grasp by the third round... my friend Dean did the explaining to 3 of us noobees. There's blue and gold chips for accumulating points and different tokens for wounds and damage, so I lage table is reccomended. It was a lot of fun, but like everything else, for me, it is not worth the hefty price tag unless you've got enough regular participants to make it worthwhile.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Sounds like a long drive for gaming, but at least it sounded fun Johngee

Just got home from gaming with my group and played:

Coloretto - nice quick card game

The Resistance - an okay Werewolf type game. It's quick and nice with a larger group. First game had 10 people and the second had 5. Each side won a game.

Frank's Zoo - kind of a neat card game where you are dealt various types of animals on cards. You kind of trump what's played to get rid of cards from your hand and get points for order of going out and then some other things as well.

Troyes - I've been wanting to play this game for awhile and finally got to try it. It was really cool. It's worker placement and resource management (to a degree) and a real neat mechanic for using dice in a ton of different ways. Really fun and it didn't take overly long, maybe an hour for 4 of us, with 3 noobs learning.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Troyes - I've been wanting to play this game for awhile and finally got to try it. It was really cool. It's worker placement and resource management (to a degree) and a real neat mechanic for using dice in a ton of different ways. Really fun and it didn't take overly long, maybe an hour for 4 of us, with 3 noobs learning.
I feel like a broken record but... another game that has rotted on my shelf. I think I'm going to make it the game I learn and bust out at TotalCon in February. That and MageStorm. Been reading the rule book and I'm dying to try it out.

-----

Played a tight game of Bears last night, 102-101-48 (I won). My 6yr old is a little slow on the draw, but she's getting better each time. Once my son an I explained a couple of strategies to her she started racking up points much quicker (that 48 is a little misleading).

-insert signature here-
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
LOL - Yessss it wasss a looong drive just to play ONE (1x) board game, but it was worth it - hahaha; - ) I am sooo tired of ONLY playing "Stone Age," "Settlers of Catan," and "Carcassonne," over and over with my immediate family, that when my wife asked me, "What do you want for your birthday?" I told her... "I want an afternoon of serious strategic gaming or a chance to play a new game, WITH my old Meetup Group, which still gathers a dozen times each month without me. Since we were going back to New Jersey for a combination Birthday Party with my wife's best friends anyway, it only meant leaving Maryland a little earlier than usual and driving an extra 20 miles up the Turnpike before coming back to our old stomping grounds by 6pm for dinner, etc.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
I feel like a broken record but... another game that has rotted on my shelf. I think I'm going to make it the game I learn and bust out at TotalCon in February. That and MageStorm. Been reading the rule book and I'm dying to try it out.

-----

Played a tight game of Bears last night, 102-101-48 (I won). My 6yr old is a little slow on the draw, but she's getting better each time. Once my son an I explained a couple of strategies to her she started racking up points much quicker (that 48 is a little misleading).
I'll have to include Bears in my next game order, though I have to lay low on that front for awhile.

I really enjoyed Troyes, the only thing that would have been better is if the guys at the next table playing the Mage Knight board game were a little quieter, they were quite into it. But I found Troyes to be very different than other worker placement games I've tried. I love how you can buy other people's dice, especially after they knock your worker out of a building and you lose dice for the next round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
LOL - Yessss it wasss a looong drive just to play ONE (1x) board game, but it was worth it - hahaha; - ) I am sooo tired of ONLY playing "Stone Age," "Settlers of Catan," and "Carcassonne," over and over with my immediate family, that when my wife asked me, "What do you want for your birthday?" I told her... "I want an afternoon of serious strategic gaming or a chance to play a new game, WITH my old Meetup Group, which still gathers a dozen times each month without me. Since we were going back to New Jersey for a combination Birthday Party with my wife's best friends anyway, it only meant leaving Maryland a little earlier than usual and driving an extra 20 miles up the Turnpike before coming back to our old stomping grounds by 6pm for dinner, etc.
Well it sounds well worth it to get in some serious gaming with some old friends.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Tonight we played Rattus and Ascending Empire. Rattus was a nice role-selection type game about having the most survivors in the 1300s with rats carrying the plague around. I won in the tie breaker (yay!) but Ascending Empire I came in last, 38-24-22. I liked it though, an outer space flicking/development game. I think I would have done much better if I could tell the planets apart (color blindness strikes again!). If it were my copy I would mark them to differentiate them.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I tried the Forbidden Alchemy expansion for Mansions of Madness with a friend tonight, over the phone. The Investigators won, barely. It was the scenario that involved time travel, and was pretty cool.

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart

Got myself Gears of War, Claustrophobia and Chaos Isle for xmas, played two games of GoW and really love it. Lookin' forward to play the other two as soon as I can
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A few games of MTG: Commander last night. I managed to get out my free zombie card and Thrax did his assassination thing well. After two games of trying to build a Darksteel Reactor with Nin, I switched to Karrthus who promptly stomped the table.

Afterwards we switched to Summoner Wars and played a 4 player game with me and my wife vs my friend and his. We had Jungle Elves and Guild Dwarves while they were running Shadow and Phoenix Elves. I got in a bad spot with the Jungle Elves, losing an elephant to a perfect role and getting pinned down by the Hydrake. I went all in against Selundar, but left him with one life before he killed me. Luckily, to ensure the kill, he had to get Selundar up a bit, which let my wife snipe him around the table to leave the table to just the girls. The Phoenix Elves got in some good damage, but the Dwarves eventually pinned the prince down for the win.
Old January 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
... I think I would have done much better if I could tell the planets apart (color blindness strikes again!). If it were my copy I would mark them to differentiate them.
LOL - Jim you just reminded me of a RISK game I played years ago against a color blind teenager who kept thinking that all my little pieces were part of his army. I wondered why he wasn't attacking me when he had a perfect opportunity and then I wiped him out before he reminded us of his "short-sighted-ness"

Old January 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
I tried the Forbidden Alchemy expansion for Mansions of Madness with a friend tonight, over the phone. The Investigators won, barely. It was the scenario that involved time travel, and was pretty cool.
Playing Mansions of Madness over the phone... That's quite a feat. I still need to pick up this expansion. I just recently snagged the print on demand expansions. I just need the free time to play them!

Also, seeing everyone chime in about Rattus is making me jealous to play my copy... Dang it school work!

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games