Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM

Elendithas has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Welcome to the boards, Elindithas!

On behalf of our location undetermined and dinosaur playset making community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

~Aldin, who still kinda thinks Grimnak is just plain the niftiest sculpt idea 'of all time'
Thanks for the welcome, Aldin. Kinda neat to find a place where people can jsut chat about all things HS. I'm shocked at how in depth some of the people are thinking. When I play with the kids its like "OK, you can do it this time"...and then invariably get caught with the "But you said I could do it last time" oh to be young again.

E.
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendithas
When I play with the kids its like "OK, you can do it this time"...and then invariably get caught with the "But you said I could do it last time" oh to be young again.
This is because in the minds of children (and attorneys) "exception" is spelled p-r-e-c-e-d-e-n-t.

I have a little rules lawyer in my house too.

I mentioned previously our new map, still unplayed, is a capture-the-flag scenario. He suggested a rule for no combat until someone has the flag.

Smart kid!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper
I mentioned previously our new map, still unplayed, is a capture-the-flag scenario. He suggested a rule for no combat until someone has the flag.

Smart kid!
Darn that little sneak!!!

We are a few rounds in and my Drake is a few steps closer to the flag then his Armoc Vipers. I have secured both towers over the road home with Marro Warriors and Syvarris, and I have been gently urging him to put a bunch of order markers on his own Drake, to try to clean them out. So we take a break for bedtime, the last thing we did was put down the order markers. "Did you put them on Drake," I asked him, as we walked upstairs? "No," he said, 7 years old and mocking me, "I put them all on the Vipers."

If I lose the coming inititative roll, and he has the +8 glyph, I don't know if I can stop him. . .

= =
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:14 PM

Elendithas has disabled reputation
Father/Son Ideas

My 10 year old and I just built Soulrazor Canyon, from the maps here...played it twice, both keeping the same teams. I guess we're going to have the tie breaker tomorrow. I really love my Krav Maga Agents....syick him high on a ledge...and pick off my opponents...

Love it

E.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Bad Daddy

We finally finished our capture the flag scenario last night. KidScaper made a few mistakes and I wrapped it up with a lucky roll to kill Brunak who, at the time, was the flagbearer.

So later mom asks, "Who won?" KidScaper replied "Daddy. He *always* wins."

Not true, but apparently true too often. Time to start playing worse!

= =
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM

AEIOU has disabled reputation
I'm more of a "it's the journey, not the destination" type of guy. I'm trying to teach my little one that you should always strive to win, but there is more to a game than winning. What happens along the way is just as -- if not more -- important.

Did you have fun?
Did you learn anything?
Did you try something new?
What was the scenario about?
Is there another mission after this scenario?
What do you think will happen in the next game?
Who carried the flag the longest?
Who got the most glyphs?
Who captured the most enemies?
Who explored more places?
Which dragon was stronger?
Who held the most towers?
Who successfully mind controlled someone?
Which hero lasted the longest?
Was it a fair game?

My wife has caught on to my tack and opts for the "travel" questions if the little one isn't yelling that he beat me.
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Thanks for the encouragement and the excellent post. It was a fairly balanced game, much moreso then some others we've had, and he did some things very well. For instance, distinguishing between DED's special attacks and using the right one against the right target.

You are absolutely right, the focus should not be on winning. And he's having fun when we play, and he's having fun reflecting on the game after it's over, even if he lost.

But you know, a pattern of losing can get pretty frustrating. I'm feeling like I have to watch my step carefully, I mustn't gamble with my only playmate.

= =
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:50 PM

AEIOU has disabled reputation
Oh definitely. You gotta be careful not to discourage the little buggers.

I loved your description of your little guy's independence, placing his markers on the vipers. Classic. Especially because it sounded like a perfectly plausible move that you hadn't anticipated.
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
Re: Bad Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper
We finally finished our capture the flag scenario last night. KidScaper made a few mistakes and I wrapped it up with a lucky roll to kill Brunak who, at the time, was the flagbearer.

So later mom asks, "Who won?" KidScaper replied "Daddy. He *always* wins."

Not true, but apparently true too often. Time to start playing worse!
I'm on a two game winning streak against the Daddyslayer. I better try harder so I win less. Although he has been having a couple "tallies" at school so he hasn't been able to touch the game in a few days. Unfortunately it started the day RTTFF and the Tundra sets arrived. It looks like Mr. Barkypants is getting punished, too.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:28 PM

deadeyedan42 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarkypants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
I just my seven year old pick whichever figures he wants and then I pick an army that should usually lose to it. The one time in ten I win I get to teach sportsmanship

~Aldin, who teaches when he wins too, but finds that to be much easier
I try to win and I lose
I suggest a new strategy; let the wookie win. Oh wait, no...What I meant to say was try to lose, maybe you'll win
Yeah, then said wookie will let you keep your arms.

when me and my dad play we always have to draft 300 pionts, no more, no less, I hate it! I can't draft the players I want to any more!

FINISH HIM!
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:32 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
quote]

Yeah, then said wookie will let you keep your arms.

when me and my dad play we always have to draft 300 pionts, no more, no less, I hate it! I can't draft the players I want to any more![/quote]

Looks like your pops has found a secret to victory!

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM

Yankee has disabled reputation
This is my first post. I've checked in on this site a few times and have enjoyed reading the posts, what others are doing with Heroscape, etc. This thread really inspired me to take the time to finally register.

About a year and a half ago, my son saw the Heroscape ads on T.V. He was interested, so I did some online research and thought it looked pretty good (understatement). I enjoy strategy games (chess, Risk, old Avalon Hill games), so I figured I could get into the game with him.

Well, we are hooked! We haven't accumulated a lot of Heroscape stuff yet. The key word being "yet". My son is eleven now, and we have a great time playing. We've played through alot of the Hasbro scenarios, but sometimes we just draft armies and try to wipe each other out.

Usually, we don't have time to set up a board and play the game at once. We'll build the board and draft our armies on a Friday night. Then we'll play on Saturday and Sunday.

My wife likes to say that she has two kids, but it gets us out of her hair for little while

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion