Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 19th, 2024, 01:53 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Well met!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWhale View Post
Quite honestly, I think ability from Xue's Edge would be best reserved as an effect in the Special Attack, and you can adjust stats to make both the special and the normal attack options that are worth picking (perhaps increased normal attack, but 1 range?).

Xue's Edge is currently a 25 percent chance to boost any die roll, from any figure in your army, regardless of where they are (but boosted if near Xue). In an army that has a 3 or 4-man bonding squad, that's likely to take effect at least once every turn you take. And while I recommended reducing it to a single die roll every attack, that's still a d20 roll every single time someone attacks. Having it be contained to her special attack could keep the fun effect, and maybe even allow you to expand on it - it's currently essentially an extra attack die that just has different odds.

That being said, I know this goes away from your thematic goals with Xue's Edge, this is mostly thinking about the figure mechanically. There's probably a different way to get the thematic effect you're aiming for!
I don't understand how you are suggesting Edge be folded into the special attack. What would it look like?

Old January 19th, 2024, 01:59 PM

SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby!

I think something like this might be neat:

PLASMA POWDER SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 7, Attack 2
When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add two automatic skulls to whatever is rolled. When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, she may attack one additional time.

I picture "Plasma Powder" being a fairly volatile and experimental compound, which isn't always 100% accurate. So if it doesn't work as intended, that's still two attacks of 2 dice. But there's a 25% chance for 2 automatic skulls! Fairly swingy, but I think it can be balanced.

And then Xue's Edge would be a different power, preferably one that requires less dice rolling.
Old January 19th, 2024, 02:35 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!
Quote:

Range 7, Attack 2
When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add two automatic skulls to whatever is rolled. When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, she may attack one additional time.

I picture "Plasma Powder" being a fairly volatile and experimental compound, which isn't always 100% accurate. So if it doesn't work as intended, that's still two attacks of 2 dice. But there's a 25% chance for 2 automatic skulls! Fairly swingy, but I think it can be balanced.

And then Xue's Edge would be a different power, preferably one that requires less dice rolling.
I hear you. Interesting, but I'm inclined to leave the Special Attack as is. I've been wondering, given earlier comments about Double Attack's ambiguity when I had both a special and normal attack occurring in the same turn, whether I could do the following:

CAPTAIN XUE
General: Vydar
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Tricky, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 5, Range 7, Attack 3, Defense 3

DOUBLE ATTACK
When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

Range 7, Attack 3
When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever is rolled. [When Captain Xue attacks with Plasma Powder Special Attack, she may attack one additional time.]

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls defense dice for or against a normal attack against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, that figure adds 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

Would this be an OK way for both her normal and special attacks to happen twice, or do I still need the bracketed language? In any event, this will establish the usual type of choice between normal and special attacks by a figure. Also, limiting Edge to defense rolls eliminates the problems with normal versus special adjacent attacks by Captain Xue.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 19th, 2024 at 03:33 PM.
Old January 19th, 2024, 03:33 PM

Well met!

This is better:

CAPTAIN XUE

CAPTAIN XUE’S PISTOLS
When Captain Xue attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled. If Captain Xue is attacking an adjacent figure, add two automatic skulls to whatever is rolled. When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled. Add two automatic shields to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

P.S.: Modifying her normal attack is easier and cleaner than giving her a special attack, and solves most of her problems. Having Edge affect only defense dice rolls solves the rest, and might keep her reasonably priced at 125 points.

P.P.S.: CAPTAIN XUE’S PISTOLS and CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE even more recently revised.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 19th, 2024 at 11:33 PM.
Old January 20th, 2024, 11:43 AM

Well met!

Thanks to the Gang for helping with this. And to @SkyWhale, whose advice I haven't always taken, but whose influence on this last iteration of Captain Xue is clear.

Quote:

Range 7, Attack 2

And thanks to everyone else who has commented and helped, not only with this design, but with my efforts over the years.

CAPTAIN XUE

CAPTAIN XUE’S PISTOLS
When Captain Xue attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled. If Captain Xue is attacking an adjacent figure, add two automatic skulls to whatever is rolled. When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled. Add two automatic shields to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

I believe there is a certain elegant symmetry between these special powers, and I am eager to see how Captain Xue fares in next month's game.

Again, thanks everyone!

Old January 20th, 2024, 02:49 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Thanks for responding to my comments on Captain Xue. I like this much better than the "spaceship" version!
I wrote this tentative bio for the original version of Captain Xue. Although the sculpt is Elven, it appears Human enough to pass.

Grace Shen Fu-Tsung, the illegitimate daughter of Michael Shen Fu-Tsung and his Irish mistress, was the personal physician to Gantimur, the leader of the Hamnigan Buryat. During a trip to Moscow, her ship was attacked, and she was captured by Banguingui pirates. She became the pirate captain's consort and, when he was killed in a raid, took over as the compromise leader of the crew. She was ruthlessly successful, and became their permanent captain, known throughout the Sulu Archipelago as Captain Xuè.

The names are historically accurate. The rest is inspired by the movie, Captain Blood. Xue means blood in Chinese. My intent has always been to create a character that was not a pure pirate or totally ruthless, but more like the hero in Captain Blood. Thus Vydar rather than Utgar, and Tricky rather than, say, Relentless. I was determined that her leadership ability not be too restricted, especially to pirates, and that she be distinguishable from the other Double Attackers out there, especially those that are Vydar or Tricky.

Later, with the assistance of the QuickWrite program, I took a shot at her as an Elf/Human hybrid.

Gráinne O'Hara was born in the bustling port city of Eldermoor, nestled in a land where humans and elves coexisted. Her father, a wealthy human merchant, had fallen in love with a beautiful elven woman, and their union produced Gráinne and her twin brother, Declan. From a young age, Gráinne displayed a fiery spirit and an insatiable desire for adventure.

Growing up in a world divided by social hierarchies, Gráinne was constantly aware of the barriers placed upon her due to her mixed heritage. Resentful of the discrimination faced by her elven mother, Gráinne strove to break free from societal norms and expectations. She yearned for freedom and sought refuge in legends of notorious outlaws who had defied authority.

As the years passed, Gráinne's rebellious spirit only grew stronger. She developed exceptional skills in swordplay, navigation, and marksmanship, inspired by tales of fearsome pirates and buccaneers who ruled the high seas. Driven by her insatiable thirst for freedom and adventure, Gráinne decided to carve her own path and embraced her destiny as an outlaw.

Equipped with her twin precision-made pistols, her symbols of defiance and rebellion, Gráinne swiftly built a reputation for herself as a formidable outlaw. Her steely determination and disciplined nature allowed her to navigate not only the treacherous waters of the open seas but also the cutthroat world of pirating. Gráinne established a crew of loyal misfits, thieves, and lost souls who shared her longing for a life outside the confines of society.

With the sea as her domain, Gráinne soon earned the nickname "Queen of the Buccaneers." Her daring raids on merchant ships and forts were legendary, earning her both admiration among her crew and infamy among those who sought to bring her to justice. Despite her outlaw status, Gráinne held strict principles, always ensuring her crew attacked with precision, avoiding unnecessary bloodshed whenever possible.

Throughout her piratical career, Gráinne remained haunted by a sense of unfinished business. She was determined to challenge the very system that oppressed her and her loved ones. Her ultimate goal became to dismantle the prejudiced hierarchy and unite humans and elves, proving that power was not dictated by their birth but by their hearts and their skills.

Gráinne's journey was one of self-discovery and resilience, as she grappled with her own identity and societal expectations. She became the driving force behind an underground network of rebels, smuggling essential supplies to the oppressed and striking fear into the hearts of the ruling class. With every act of rebellion, Gráinne grew closer to her vision of a just and unified world.

Today, Gráinne O'Hara sails the open seas, her twin precision-made pistols wielded in her hands, the embodiment of her indomitable spirit. As she fights for a brighter future, she remains a symbol of hope for those who have been cast aside, the half-elves who long for acceptance, and the oppressed who yearn for freedom.

This bio implies another possibility:

GRAINNE, QUEEN OF THE BUCCANEERS
General: Ullar
Half-Elf, Unique Hero, Captain, Tricky, Medium 5

GRAINNE’S PISTOLS
When Grainne attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled. If Grainne is attacking an adjacent figure, add two automatic skulls to whatever is rolled. When Grainne attacks, she may attack one additional time.

GRAINNE’S SPIRIT
When a figure you control rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled. Add two automatic shields to the roll if that figure is Grainne or within 6 clear sight spaces of Grainne.

P.S.: Would Ullar ever recruit a pistolero? Ah! The Protectors of Ullar! Oh wait! Are those crossbows? Ah-ha! Deadeye Dan! Ullar Enhanced Pistols, anyone?

Last edited by kolakoski; January 20th, 2024 at 08:09 PM.
Old January 21st, 2024, 03:26 PM

Well met!

Attempting to reconcile the two:

Grace Shen Fu-Tsung, the illegitimate daughter of Michael Shen Fu-Tsung and his Irish mistress, was the personal physician to Gantimur, the leader of the Hamnigan Buryat. Growing up in a world divided by social hierarchies, Grace was constantly aware of the barriers placed upon her due to her mixed heritage. Resentful of the discrimination faced by her Irish mother, Grace strove to break free from societal norms and expectations. She yearned for freedom and sought refuge in legends of notorious outlaws who had defied authority.

As the years passed, Grace's rebellious spirit only grew stronger. She developed exceptional skills in swordplay, navigation, and marksmanship, inspired by tales of fearsome pirates and buccaneers who ruled the high seas. Then, as it happened, during a trip to Moscow, her ship was attacked, and she was captured by Banguingui pirates. She became the pirate captain's consort and, when he was killed in a raid, took over as the compromise leader of the crew. Driven by her insatiable thirst for freedom and adventure, Gráinne decided to carve her own path and embraced her destiny as a pirate.

Grace swiftly built a reputation for herself as a formidable pirate. Her steely determination and disciplined nature allowed her to navigate not only the treacherous waters of the open seas but also the cutthroat world of pirating. Grace established a crew of loyal misfits, thieves, and lost souls who shared her longing for a life outside the confines of society.

With the sea as her domain, Grace became known as "Captain Xue." Her daring raids on merchant ships and forts were legendary, earning her both admiration among her crew and infamy among those who sought to bring her to justice. Despite this sobriquet, Grace held to strict principles, always ensuring her crew attacked with precision, avoiding unnecessary bloodshed whenever possible.

Throughout her piratical career, Grace remained haunted by a sense of unfinished business. She was determined to challenge the very system that oppressed her and her loved ones. Her ultimate goal became to dismantle the prejudiced hierarchy and unite all beings, proving that power was not dictated by their birth but by their hearts and their skills.

Grace's journey was one of self-discovery and resilience, as she grappled with her own identity and societal expectations. She became the driving force behind an underground network of rebels, smuggling essential supplies to the oppressed and striking fear into the hearts of the ruling class. With every act of rebellion, Grace grew closer to her vision of a just and unified world.

Today, as Captain Xue, Grace sails the open seas in her warship, Courageous, her twin Warforged Pistols becoming symbols of defiance and rebellion, the embodiment of her indomitable spirit. As she fights for a brighter future, she remains a symbol of hope for those who have been cast aside, those of mixed heritage who long for acceptance, and the oppressed who yearn for freedom.

Ullar doesn't really fit her, so:

CAPTAIN XUE

CAPTAIN XUE’S PISTOLS
When Captain Xue attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled. When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE’S SPIRIT
When a figure you control that is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled. If Captain Xue is attacked with a normal attack and receives enough wounds to be destroyed, she may immediately attack with Captain Xue's Pistols. After attacking with Captain Xue's Pistols, remove Captain Xue from the battlefield.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 22nd, 2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old January 21st, 2024, 05:15 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

This is a fine design for your games with the Gang, but an "attack" during your opponent's turn will be a non-starter with the SoV, I suspect.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 21st, 2024, 07:00 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
This is a fine design for your games with the Gang, but an "attack" during your opponent's turn will be a non-starter with the SoV, I suspect.
How does it differ significantly from the Frost Giant of Mohr's Dying Swipe? Perhaps it could be worded to occur after my opponent's turn?

Old January 21st, 2024, 07:09 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The Frost Giant of Morh does not "attack" during its opponent's turn.

I don't think you're adding to the theme with that part of the power. I'd drop it before I'd turn it into 5 (or whatever) lines of text like Dying Swipe.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 21st, 2024, 07:38 PM

Well met!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
The Frost Giant of Morh does not "attack" during its opponent's turn.

I don't think you're adding to the theme with that part of the power. I'd drop it before I'd turn it into 5 (or whatever) lines of text like Dying Swipe.
I shall take your advice. Thank you, as always. It's been a roundabout evolution, but I think (again!?) that this will be the final version.

CAPTAIN XUE

CAPTAIN XUE’S PISTOLS
When Captain Xue attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled. When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE’S SPIRIT
When a figure you control that is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

125 Points

P.S.: From ThrasherDarkrai:

"Mechanically, the figure looks basically fine to me at first glance.
Formatting-wise, though, I think you should strike the last line from Captain Xue's Pistols and give her Double Attack. It's not clear to me why Double Attack is essentially being rolled into Captain Xue's Pistols; it should really be two separate powers.

"Thematically, I think the names of Captain Xue's powers are quite vague; neither really evoke any kind of fantasy to me. What, exactly, is "Captain Xue's Pistols" supposed to convey? Why are her shots occasionally but inconsistently more powerful? Retitling the power to put more emphasis on WHAT the Pistols are - rather than who owns them - would better convey what the power is doing (and by extension, who Captain Xue is). I'd suggest something like "Black Powder Pistols," except that the AoA Pirates already used that for a power name. I'd make a similar comment for Captain's Xue's Spirit, but it's less egregious there since I still get a rough sense as to what the power is trying to accomplish."

No problem doing as he asks with Double Attack. As to naming the powers, as you may have gathered, I've been looking for the right names for some time. Plasma Powder Pistols was the name of Captain Xue's Pistols when it was a special attack. We could go with that. As to Captain's Xue's Spirit, did you thing Captain's Xue's Edge was better? Long ago, we posited Protect the Captain as the name for a power. Could go with Defend the Captain. Maybe something with "Tough" in it? Captain's Courageous? Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? How's this for now?

CAPTAIN XUE

DOUBLE ATTACK
When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack one additional time.

PLASMA POWDER PISTOLS
When Captain Xue attacks, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic skull to whatever was rolled.

CAPTAIN'S COURAGEOUS
When a figure you control that is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 15 or higher, add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

125 Points

Last edited by kolakoski; January 22nd, 2024 at 10:29 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2024, 09:32 AM

SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby!

To add on to what DS was saying with attempting to submit this to SOV, I suspect they wouldn't allow a "Captain" to pass until the future of the pirate faction is more clear. But that ought to give you ample time to playtest and refine this.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards