Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart
Watchmen is sort of a Holy Grail to me. The jumbo-sized Absolution Edition is one of my prized possessions.

As such, I was pulling for this movie to fail, just like every other attempt at making Watchmen into a movie as before. Alas, this time it seems that hoping wasn't enough and the movie is being made.

Now, I thought 300 was passable. It was basically a 2 hour glorified music video, which is all very nice for what it is... though, I'll say it's much more easily digested in a 20 minute read.

Watchmen though... Watchmen is THE pinnacle of sequential art. Watchmen is the first real work to fulfill the potential of what the medium can do. The panel grid; the mirror issue; the supplements in the back; the dual storylines; the meta-level on which it functions as a dark take on the industry itself. To me, the grand appeal of Watchmen is not just in its story, it's in the way that it is told. It is a work that cannot be separated from its medium, because in the end, medium dictates story... and Watchmen is a story that is told in a certain way, for a certain effect, and when it moves away from that, it is no longer the same. And I, for one, feel that the new version, while perhaps legitimate, will be inherently inferior, and I for one will not be seeing it.

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation
Re: Watchmen movie....link to pictures!

here is the trailer for this awsome movie

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/med.html

edit appel

Last edited by dra(gon); July 18th, 2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dra(gon) View Post
here is the trailer for this awsome movie

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=NhzTfi10lHY

I get this:
Dieses Video ist aufgrund des Urheberrechtsanspruchs von Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. nicht mehr verfügbar.
Old July 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This video is due to the requirement for copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. no longer available.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM

hex706f726368 has disabled reputation

You can watch the trailer here:

Watchmen Trailer

I can't wait for this movie. It looks great!

Huge thank you to these sponsors of the 2008 Arizona National Heroscape Day
Cavalier Games - House Mouse Games - War Gamers Headquarters - Vixen Tor Games - Wizards of the Coast
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

OMG I want to cry.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM

oni is surprisingly tart

I did cry. I have so many fears that this won't translate to film.

Thanks for the post, it really did make my day to see it.

Feed the newbs! Link to a common HS topic in your signature.
Storage ideas
What Should I get next?
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker

Dr. Manhattan looks amazing and the fact all of that Vietnam stuff is in there boosts my confidence that this may be an interesting adaptation.

That trailer is very slick looking, but it can't just look pretty.
We're sure to see more at Comic Con. . .
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Who Watches the Watchmen?

LilMoochie Watches the Watchmen.

I see the movie's success hinging on the effectiveness with which they can bring the backstories together into a coherent movie. The visuals look pretty slick, though. I see them streamlining the movie. For example, I bet the Silk Spectre plot will be toned down, along with Hollis (Nite Owl #1) As long as they can maintain the dark subtlety of the original work, I think I'll be pleased.

I'm not really wild about Veidt from the preview. He looks a little too "M Bison" for me. Rorshach and Comedian are spot-on, though. Nite Owl and Silk Spectre II seem too updated.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
I'm not really wild about Veidt from the preview. He looks a little too "M Bison" for me.
Not exactly who I pictured either, but the performance is what matters.
This movie has some interesting casting.

Is it just me or did the Comedian look just like Robert Downey Jr in that trailer?
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation

yeha you tube delayed the teaser trailer. i will wach this film too.

"Who Watches the Watchmen?" great for a cinemaposter .
in german this will not work "wer überwacht die wächter" is the german translatin in english " who overwatch the guardians"

funy that hereis the son beginning of the end from batman 4 , and nite eule is like batman.
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annerios View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
I'm not really wild about Veidt from the preview. He looks a little too "M Bison" for me.
Not exactly who I pictured either, but the performance is what matters.
This movie has some interesting casting.

Is it just me or did the Comedian look just like Robert Downey Jr in that trailer?
No question that Jeffrey Dean Morgan

is a poor man's Robert Downey Junior.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies