Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Spartacus Maximus is surprisingly tart
The Legion Swarm Army

Well even with all the buzz around wave 11 ( The Earth elemental is cool) i just thought up a good army. I call the legion Swarm Army. Just for fun, And to beat my friends.

Arrow Gruts x2

Blade Gruts x2

Grimnak

Marcus

Roman Archers x2

Roman legionaries x2

So please tell me your thoughts, Your improvements, And any other thoughts/Comments

Fish and custard
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Legion Swarm Army

Take out the range. Both squads add nothing to this army. Replace it with a dragon or more of each squad.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
Take out the range. Both squads add nothing to this army. Replace it with a dragon or more of each squad.
...Or replace the current ranged units with at least a couple of squads of 10th Regiment of Foot. They can also benefit from Marcus, and add a good firepower base.

Grimnak 120
Blade Gruts X 2 200
Marcus 300
Romans X 2 400
10th X 2 550

Starting space intensive, though (27), but you have 2 attack waves (or a nice, pincer attack): Grimnak/Blades on one end, and Marcus/Romans/10th on the other.

If you are dead-set on a melee army, remove the 10th and Blade gruts, and replace with 3 squads of Heavy Gruts, for a grand total of 530 points (23 starting spaces).

Personally, I like having the ranged units, and the 10th really shine with Marcus in close proximity. Order Marker 1 on Blade Gruts, OM 2 on Roman Legos, OM 3 on 10th. Repeated as needed.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

As others have said, I would definitely focus on one melee squad and one ranged squad. Having both gruts and legos in the same army doesn't seem too efficient (sp). Same with the archers, although with arrow gruts, you need some swogs and other beasts. The roman archers are pretty bad.
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I really think it would be best to either just go Romans or just go Orcs.

And if you go Orcs, I think it's better to choose Blades, Heavies or Arrows and focus your army there, since the range and melee squads bond with different stuff.

You don't seem to be concerned with starting zone hexes, so lets see...

Marcus - 100
Legionaires x3 - 250
10th Regiment x4 - 550

Grimnak - 120
Tornak - 220
Nerak - 270
Blade Gruts x7 - 550

Grimnak - 120
Tornak - 220
Nerak - 270
Heavy Gruts x4 - 550

Krug - 120
Mimring - 270
Swog Rider x3 - 345
Arrow Gruts x5 - 545

I highly doubt you have all of these figures (I don't think most players have 7x Blade Gruts, for sure), but I think these are the best armies with those units without adding stuff that messes with the theme (read: Raelin)

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM

dragonswoop Woo who?

Either do Orcs or do Soldiers man. No point in mixing those two up.
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Spartacus Maximus is surprisingly tart

okay sounds like solid advice, I probably will go with a Orc army, Where can i find the Heavy Gruts? Right now i could use x2 grut orcs x2 Arrow orcs, Tornak and Grimnak.

Oh and Where could i find a swog rider? I am kinda behind so any websites i could buy from would be useful. Oh and dont say walmart my dad works for target so that is out of the question

Fish and custard
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:53 AM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus Maximus View Post
Where can i find the Heavy Gruts?
eBay... but be prepared to pay.

My custom Terrain and Units.

My HS pics
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM

wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker

Heavy gruts are several waves hence so in the event your ebay hunting turns up fruitless there are a few options for either overhauling the Romans - Orc combo (admittedly is more fun than competitive but since you said as much in your first post what's the harm) or going "all in" with the green skins without having to buy a metric butt load of boosters:

Pig-stickers:
Marcus - 100
Romansx2 - 100
MBS - 50
Arrow Grutsx2 - 80
Swogx2 - 50
Krug - 120

A nice, even split between the noble and ignoble races. Out of the gate, place all OM on the Gruts to pepper the enemy and generally menace the battlefield (don't forget that disengage). A wise opponent will aim for the Swogs, at which point you'll simply wake the "Krugster" for a little heavy hitting. The beauty of the draft, however, derives from its unorthodox symmetry. On the front end, you'll OM a light range unit to eventually introduce a heavy melee tank. On the back end, MBS allows you to OM a bread and butter melee unit to activate a light range hero. This allows for a fair amount of contingency that, especially in a casual scenario, could reap rich dividends.

Of course a "marbles out" green skin draft always brings a smile to the table ...

Green Day:

Arrow Grutsx2 - 80
Blade Grutsx2 - 80
Swogx2 - 50
Krug - 120
Nerak - 50
Grimnak - 120

While the draft doesn't boast the opulence of heavy infantry, Nerak and Grimnak will spread around just enough love to likely achieve most strategic goals. As before, begin with the pea shooters, paying careful attention to cluster your ranged forces within striking distance of Krug and, preferably (of course) on height. Disengage allows for this more often than conventional range drafts and with good cause; those arrow orcs' glass jaws need all available boosts. It may be a good idea to throw a spare OM (as if such a thing exists) on the Blade Gruts near the beginning of the fray to insure Nerak lends a healing hand to the Arrow contingent - you'll want them to feel "at home on the range" for as long as is allowed by the game scenario. Once the Arrow Gruts are felled (and they will be) don't count yourself out; that bargain basement melee unit you’re sporting can still close an average range distance with six move; carrying around a hero who boosts their defense and offense ain't so bad, neither.

BANJO WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO MONEY. MONEY CAN'T GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO BANJO.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion