Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old October 5th, 2022, 11:58 AM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The minis will not be a sea of unpainted gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by champrjk View Post
I don’t like it. The figures not being painted is a dealbreaker for me. I’m not going to back a project hoping for painted figures possibly coming in the future. I really hope this project gets funded as so many people like it and I do want heroscape to succeed even though I won’t be partaking. I never liked dungeons and dragons heroscape and never purchased any of that either but was happy for people who did. Just because we choose not to give money to something doesn’t mean we want it to fail or don’t support it. I’ve been spreading the word as best I can and have informed all my old heroscape buddies. At the end of the day what I do with my hard earned money is my choice and if I don’t like it I won’t be spending it.
Fair enough, I can understand this perspective
Old October 5th, 2022, 12:04 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGreat1999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
If someone doesn't want to fully paint the minis, but also doesn't like the plastic color for a specific general, then they could buy a can of spray paint and change it fairly quickly and cheaply
With all due respect, I'm not interested in buying into Heroscape just so that I can spend a weekend spraypainting and fine painting board game miniatures, while making the investment in paint materials that I wouldn't use for anything else otherwise.

Call me lazy or entitled. Whatever. I'm not going to bother when I know that old Heroscape is a tried and proven product.
It makes sense if someone doesn't want to do a complete paint job, I'm not very fond of it myself and if I'm going to be painting or creating something I'd rather be making custom terrain
I'm just saying that if you like the contents of the set but the base plastic color bothers you, it would be a small investment of time to spray paint them to a new color, you would just drive to home depot and the spray painting itself would take like 4 minutes.
Now if you don't like the contents of the set then thats a different story and I understand why someone wouldn't want to make paint adjustments for it
Old October 5th, 2022, 12:23 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Most board game minis come unpainted these days. All of my large crowdfunders have them.
This is one of the main points that bothers me about the painted/unpainted debate, namely those showing their displeasure that the new miniatures are unpainted. As you and many others have brought up, the amount of pre-painted miniatures on shelves in 2022 is little to none, and, from what I've been seeing, people neglect to remember that. A line of miniatures with unique designs, quality sculpts, AND that come pre-painted is just not viable in the current economic climate. I'm personally not convinced in the slightest that, if the current Vanguard set came with pre-painted minis for a price tag of $450 (give or take), it would be enough incentive for nay-sayers to back the project, especially if they're complaining about the current price tag of $250.

We all (CVN included!) were incredibly fortunate to experience the level of quality in design, presentation, and bang for your buck of classic Heroscape from 2004-2010. That time has long since passed. The best thing we can do is to look ahead for new ways of making Heroscape a viable game.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old October 5th, 2022, 12:37 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think what gets missed in the painted/unpainted debates a lot is that the folks who aren't backing because it's not painted aren't choosing between unpainted Heroscape minis and other unpainted minis. They're choosing between buying up existing out of print or custom painted figures and unpainted Heroscape minis. And if they only want to play with painted minis, the argument that this is the only way to get more Heroscape (which will be unpainted) isn't very compelling to them.

If something isn't the right choice for someone's dollars according to them, the person who'd be spending the dollars, I don't think we need to be in the habit of telling them why they're wrong. It's their dollars! No one could be more right than they could.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 5th, 2022, 12:59 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I think what gets missed in the painted/unpainted debates a lot is that the folks who aren't backing because it's not painted aren't choosing between unpainted Heroscape minis and other unpainted minis. They're choosing between buying up existing out of print or custom painted figures and unpainted Heroscape minis. And if they only want to play with painted minis, the argument that this is the only way to get more Heroscape (which will be unpainted) isn't very compelling to them.

If something isn't the right choice for someone's dollars according to them, the person who'd be spending the dollars, I don't think we need to be in the habit of telling them why they're wrong. It's their dollars! No one could be more right than they could.
Definitely a fair point to bring up. If those folks who only want pre-painted minis don't want to put their money towards AoA, that's fine and more power to them. It could very well be that those folks also don't partake in other unpainted miniatures lines, which leads me to wonder if those same people should ignore AoA?

The way I see it (and the point I was getting at in my previous post is), people who want pre-painted minis are currently unhappy with the unpainted minis offered in the Vanguard set; however, if the set offered pre-painted minis at a much steeper price, I suspect those people (among many others) would be priced out of the offering and upset about that. It's a situation where we can't have it both ways like we did back in 2004-2010.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old October 5th, 2022, 01:02 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think it's clear that the pre-painted only crowd is not going to be marketed to and that there are probably pretty strong industry reasons for that, yeah.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 5th, 2022, 02:58 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
The way I see it (and the point I was getting at in my previous post is), people who want pre-painted minis are currently unhappy with the unpainted minis offered in the Vanguard set; however, if the set offered pre-painted minis at a much steeper price, I suspect those people (among many others) would be priced out of the offering and upset about that. It's a situation where we can't have it both ways like we did back in 2004-2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I think it's clear that the pre-painted only crowd is not going to be marketed to and that there are probably pretty strong industry reasons for that, yeah.
I'm backing it, I've been marketed too sucessfully...I still don't like painting. Painting sucks. That's my paint point for the day.

You may be right about others but don't assume. Have you e-mailed some friends who normally don't play but showed an interest in 'Scape? In my neck of the woods it probably will not help (being around $400 Canadian a set with conversion and shipping) but I've done this since anyway it's worth a shot.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; October 5th, 2022 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Still loving the phrase paint point. Neat to say out loud.
Old October 5th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Nope

Old October 5th, 2022, 04:06 PM

DBZMagus knows what's in an order marker DBZMagus knows what's in an order marker DBZMagus knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Most board game minis come unpainted these days. All of my large crowdfunders have them.
This is one of the main points that bothers me about the painted/unpainted debate, namely those showing their displeasure that the new miniatures are unpainted. As you and many others have brought up, the amount of pre-painted miniatures on shelves in 2022 is little to none, and, from what I've been seeing, people neglect to remember that. A line of miniatures with unique designs, quality sculpts, AND that come pre-painted is just not viable in the current economic climate. I'm personally not convinced in the slightest that, if the current Vanguard set came with pre-painted minis for a price tag of $450 (give or take), it would be enough incentive for nay-sayers to back the project, especially if they're complaining about the current price tag of $250.

We all (CVN included!) were incredibly fortunate to experience the level of quality in design, presentation, and bang for your buck of classic Heroscape from 2004-2010. That time has long since passed. The best thing we can do is to look ahead for new ways of making Heroscape a viable game.
Found a game with over 60 fully painted miniatures right here, from a campaign this year, from a way smaller company than Hasbro, for about the same price. You can argue about the quality of the paint work, but I'd say it's on par with the original Heroscape minus the heavy wash they had.

Old October 5th, 2022, 04:36 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"The exception proves the rule."
Old October 5th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Cool looking game! It's also, outside of those miniatures, mostly paper & cardboard. Those miniatures capitalize on modularity (swappable heads, etc.), and are all in the medium-to-large size range (in 'Scape terms).

Classic case of apples and oranges (and I really, really hate that phrase).

Look, I'm not going to shill for Hasbro and pretend there's nothing wrong with this crowdfunding campaign, but what's in that box doesn't even approach the value of Age of Annihilation.

Where are the large & huge miniatures? Where is the 3D, painted, modular plastic terrain? Where are the ruined walls, jungle brush, and trees?

Last edited by Son of Arathorn; October 5th, 2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old October 5th, 2022, 04:38 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Plastic three dimensional terrain costs more to produce than cardboard.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion