Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Old March 9th, 2020, 11:22 AM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Shade the Changing Man (Public Playtesting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karat View Post
GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT: After realizing my mistake in game 2, I think he's probably fine but I wouldn't mind erring slightly higher in points.
Thanks Karat!

Around how many times do you think you tried to use Madness Vest to transfer wounds off of allies? It seems like ze healing is not as rewarding as ze hurting, but may just be the way it is.
3 or 4. They died way too quickly against the Asguardians and never really had a prime moment for it where he wasn't more useful throwing some of his wounds at Thing or something (which never actually worked mind).
Old March 9th, 2020, 11:33 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
3 or 4. They died way too quickly against the Asguardians and never really had a prime moment for it where he wasn't more useful throwing some of his wounds at Thing or something (which never actually worked mind).
Hmmm...okay. That seems like a decent enough number.

Honestly my instinct is to add a D20 benefit for choosing friendly figures, but that's just adding 1 more layer of complexity on when I feel like he's already pretty maxed out on variables you have to consider. I think the fact that both of us misplayed him at some point is telling. (I realized it quick enough to fix it, so I didn't include it in the report because I hate admitting I made a mistake. ) So I really don't want to add more to consider onto the design.

How does just raising him to 225 sound? That makes him a solid block with John at 350.
Old March 9th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!

Sounds like a decent, simple enough change. The design is good, quirky, and fun. Just a lot of reading and rereading to make sure you get it right.
Old March 9th, 2020, 11:44 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Cool. SP updated at 225.

I kinda like that a ton of the Vertigo classics (Doom Patrol, Constantine, Swamp Thing, and now Shade) can come in at odd point values. It’s just a fun little thing to show they’re “outside” of the main superhero genre.
Old March 9th, 2020, 08:00 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

C3G STANDARD PLAYTEST FEEDBACK FORM

NAME OF THE PLAYTEST UNIT: Change the Shading Man

Army Test
Map: Custom
Units: Shade the Changing Man (225), Zatanna II (445) VS Batman I, Robin Tim, Batgirl Babara (450)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test
Map: Custom
Units: Shade the Changing Man (225), John Constantine, Deadman (515) VS Green Arrow Ollie, Red Arrow, Hawkgirl (525)
Spoiler Alert!

THOUGHTS ON THE TESTED UNIT'S COST, BALANCE, & DRAFTABILITY: Honestly I did not have a lot of fun with Shade, because he did nothing so often and the Changing Man power means he’s neutered often. In the end of game 1, there was finally a period where he could use Madness Vest fairly effectively and it was appropriately scary, but the limitations on it prevented too much chaos.

I have no competitive concerns here, so I’d pass him if you’re happy with him. He’s just not my type of design and that’s okay. But I think he’d be less frustrating if he’s able to choose the same figure after a failed roll on Madness Vest, or if the -4 to Madness Vest on a skull was less brutal. My other thought was to reroll the die for Changing Man at the start or end of every round in addition to at the start of the game & when receiving wounds. So I’m cool with whatever basically, as long as the LD’s happy.

It's worth noting I played in small point games too. Against higher point figures, swinging a wound their way is comparatively worth a lot more, meaning he would probably have felt better.
Old March 9th, 2020, 09:52 PM
Just A Head

Thanks Archie!

I will say I think the current lot of JLD mainstays (Constantine, Zatanna, and Deadman) are all kind of tricky support figures that don't really throw a huge amount of offensive firepower, and Shade kinda fits into that camp too. It's something I'm hoping we can further expand with the faction by adding more combat-based characters like Swamp Thing or Black Orchid. But I generally haven't found the Shade/Constantine/Zatanna/Deadman builds to be super-effective, so I'm not surprised you didn't either.

It seems like you had fairly bad luck while Karat had fairly good luck, and you both finished with fairly different impressions of the unit. I get the feelings of frustration, but I also feel a large part of that was mitigated in my games by playing him with turn efficiency units. It helps a lot if your whole turn isn't just Shade.

He's technically lost 5/5 games since he was updated to this version, but he did pretty great in both Karat game, so it's really more like 3/5 losses.

I guess I see 3 ways forward atm;
1) Lower his points back down. I think such a big jump this morning could've been an overreaction.
2) Lower the Madness Vest roll, maybe even as low as 9?
3) Lower the D20 subtraction on the skull option of Changing Man, maybe down to 2?

Any thoughts? I'd be open for any of these options, as well as any combination of them.
Old March 9th, 2020, 09:59 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I agree with that assessment, and I'd be fine with any of those options. My last game was definitely unlucky with a couple 1s.
Old March 10th, 2020, 02:03 PM
Just A Head

@Karat any thoughts on which options you prefer?
Old March 10th, 2020, 02:05 PM
Now moves with Flying.

On option 2 do you mean the wound flinging?
Old March 10th, 2020, 02:06 PM
Just A Head

Quote:
On option 2 do you mean the wound flinging?
Yeah, lowering the D20 roll on that aspect.
Old March 10th, 2020, 05:34 PM
Just A Head

Okay, here's what I'm thinking;
Quote:
NAME = SHADE THE CHANGING MAN
SECRET IDENTITY = RAC SHADE

SPECIES = METAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = POET
PERSONALITY = MERCURIAL

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 5
RANGE = 4
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 6

POINTS = 215

CHANGING MAN
At the start of the game, roll a combat die and place it on this card. Any time Shade receives one or more wounds, re-roll the die. While the result is:
  • a skull, subtract 1 from Shade's attack and defense, and 2 from his roll for the Madness Vest power.
  • a shield, all opponent's figures are considered friendly to Shade.
  • a blank, the most wounds Shade can take from an attack is one.

MADNESS VEST 13
Instead of attacking with Shade, you may choose a figure within 4 clear sight spaces and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1 or lower, the nearest friendly figure to Shade receives a wound. If you roll 13 or higher, either inflict a wound on Shade and remove a wound from the other figure's Army Card or remove a wound from Shade's Army Card and inflict a wound on the other figure. After using Madness Vest, you may use it one additional time, choosing a different figure.
Old March 10th, 2020, 06:08 PM
Now moves with Flying.

That's the move I was gonna suggest. Sorry been a tad distracted this morning.....uh.....today

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library