Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old March 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: HoME Art Thread

I agree with making the HoME side really different if you're doing a classic side as well. I think sketches/illustrations on the HoME side would be good. As for the classic side, a fig pic would be great.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old April 1st, 2013, 05:45 PM

JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby!

So, we are more or less voting for the 3rd op with minor changes?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:07 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

We are not voting on anything yet, but please continue to brainstorm the templates.

I'd really prefer to not do anything official in the Art department without Xorlof. He is doing some great stuff in the C3V art team and once the current release busyness is done with he should be popping in around here some more.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:40 PM

JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby!

Okay then, how long til he pops in? Should we PM him the Temps?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Not long. I'm logging off now, but will post here tonight. Thanks for all of your work on this, JF!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:55 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I plan to come up with some template ideas too, but not until May.

I personally think these can wait a while since we have so much playtesting and brainstorming to do.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
I personally think these can wait a while since we have so much playtesting and brainstorming to do.
That's my thought process as well. I don't mind people coming up with new templates and whatnot as part of the art brainstorming process, but we are in absolutely no rush to finalize anything in the art department.

Insofar as we focus our energies, I'd like them to be focused on playtesting.

--
--
--

--
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:28 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Miscellaneous issues

--Logo/symbol for the project is actually a fine idea if you ask me. I like the idea of using the Tolkien symbol, perhaps backgrounded in some way or just alone.

--Copyrights. Whether we are profit or non-profit, any use of copyrighted materials that doesn't fall under fair use is technically a no-no. The Saul Zaentz company is not above sending out cease and desists, bust that doesn't mean one will show up on our doorstep. If we minimize what is used, we'll reduce our risk.

--Card art design is a lower priority for sure, but tossing around designs doesn't hurt *if* it isn't distracting.

--Agreeing with others--I think the classic side should be totally classic-y, down to the fonts, templates, the works.

Now on to the HoME designs. Some random opinions:

--I don't think we're there yet, but am enjoying seeing the various designs. It gets the creative juices flowing.

--The issue of text in the current designs keeps coming up for good reason. Typography is vitally important to design, and for Heroscape cards, almost all of the information on the card is being communicated with text. For that reason, most of the text on the card should probably be body text suitable, nothing fancy, but it can have subtle distinctive flourishes. I'd recommend we *not* use the standard Heroscape font (Helvetica Neue) for the HoME side, but what we do choose should be equally readable. (Bonus points if it is in the free Google Web Font library).

--As far as organizing info on the cards, I suppose we could keep the "standard" sort of format (attributes on left, stats bottom right, picture top right, etc), but we can be led by design somewhat and deviate from norms provided an experienced Heroscape player could look at the card and instantly know what to do. The move/attack/range/etc area provides easy examples for that--the easiest deviation is to drop the words "spaces" and "dice" and so forth in that area, as the above designs have done.

--I could even picture a more experimental design that excludes or greatly abbreviates the labels on that area (i.e., "move, range, attack, defense") provided the coloring and/or spacial design provides a strong enough cue (again remembering the principle that an experienced player should be able to instantly read the HoME side). I'd almost prefer this concept (and similar ones elsewhere on the card) to the "same old, same old" but don't know if we can pull it off. Because we want a classic side, we are limited by the card shape.

--I think we're going for a cool look for the HoME side, so I'd lean toward art or photographs instead of mini pictures if possible. Sourcing those images could be hard for some characters, and it can be hard to be visually consistent since we're not commissioning our own art, so I'm OK going the mini route if we have to.

--We must be *very* careful with a background behind the special ability text. I imagine all of us here have eyes that can handle quite of visual noise around text, but there are very real accessibility issues for some people. We don't want game play slowed/compromised. Just something to keep in mind.

Tomorrow (well, later today technically) I'll give a critique of the existing designs, where they fail and where they succeed (in my opinion) as well as describe an idea of my own (that I haven't executed on) to get feedback as to whether y'all think it is worth trying.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I was just playing around with some ideas this morning. Here is a draft to help spark some imagination:

I like the gold band and the parchment background. I'm still thinking about the rest of it. Adding in the picture, the left text box, and the other small details might make a difference in the overall look.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM

Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Fi Skirata is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hey all,

I saw this text will perusing the Google Web Font that may work: Patrick Hand SC (I couldn't think of a way to bring an example, but it is not far down on that page).

It really looks like Middle Earth (or Middle Ages) writing, but is still fairly eligible.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:05 PM

Nice draft, WK. I'm not sure about the font at the top or the raised/rounded edges, but it has a nice appeal overall.

--
--
--

--
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm not a huge fan of the font for 'HoME', it looks more like something out of Star Wars.

EDIT: Just went back and realized Caps said the same thing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs