Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation
Re: In-house Meta Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofShadows View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
The metagame in my house has shifted to:
Spoiler Alert!

...made all the better by incredibly good d20 rolls.
Except that I stopped using him because he was winning games for me too easily.
My home's big metagame mostly consists of the Jandar four-man squads (4th Mass and knights) and Braxas.
He just got banned (temporarily) from games. It's not really fun when he kills about 400 points and has 2 wound markers on him. (Which always seems to happen with him)
I remember a time when my brother destroyed my Jandar army with Cyprien. He rolled 20's on Srgt Drake, Alastair, and NILFHEIM! He also took out two squadies and another hero (don't remember who he was). Now every time my brother drafts Cyprien, I (along with everyone else) drafts either Q9 or plenty of squads.
Yeah, he's too good against heros (especially with great d20 rolls). In a game I played, he killed 3 Warforged Soldiers, Heirloom, Mika, Mind Flayer Mastermind, and probably more than I can remember at the time ending with about 2 wounds.
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Continuing on from THIS thread...

My close group of players has a very squad-heavy metagame. Armies typically focus around about 3x or 4x of a common squad alongside a medium-strength hero or a pair of weak ones in the usual 450-480 (occasionally 500) pt army.

Ranged cleanup is played well, but OM placement results in the "OM of regret" in nearly every game. Krug and the Ogre Warhulk are popular, but not often played in more recent games. The gruts rarely make an appearance. Melee is dominated by Drow (5 squads, baby!!! ), WoA, WoB, and Death Chasers. Greenscales and Warforged show up on occasion. Q9/Rat screen armies have been played only twice, because of a large stinger dominance in the ranged category.

Raelin is only consistantly played by one gamer. Sir Hawthorne and his backstabs are popular. Krav debut regularly. Cyprein has been collecting dust, along with Grimnak and some other insta-killers. I hope to get him out of the box and rock the house-meta with some PKs and him. (Might want a 4th squad of the phantoms... personal note).

Waves 2-7 (Besides Wave 7 heroes) are unowned by all but one player, so they almost are never seen. Because of this, my gaming "group" seems more unprepared against some of the better units from the earlier waves when played at tournaments. Dragons like Nilfheim and Braxas are hard to stop, and so are great squads like the heavies, knights, and 4th mass.
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
My older son sticks with soldier (Sgt. Drake/AE/10th) then he fills in with whatever. I tend to stick with the Marro - Mostly Drudge and Grubs with Tor-Kul-Na so I can lose quickly and help them stick to the rules (yeah, that's it ). My youngest loves the incredible chomping abilities of Grimnak mixed with Viking and Heavy Gruts.

Normally, about the halfway mark of a three way game, the game breaks down to my youngest (who is three) yelling CHOMPCHOMPCHOMPCHOMP which could be considered cute but he storms accross the board forgetting there are rules and tossing figures aside that he chomps on while my older son gets upset about him "ruining" the game (he's only 6 after all).

That's when my true 'In-house Meta Game' breaks out as I console one and try to make sure the other isn't destroying the figures.

Once my wife or I manage to extract Grimnack from the unnatural monsterous grip of the young one and we put him to bed, I do a quick 300 pts battle with my oldest son before he goes to bed. My wife can often be seen in the background shaking her head at me and .

I'm not complaining here it's all part of a really good life.
The meta-game's matured in my house over the past year. I have a couple of friends and their kids that join in and play when they can.

The meta-game still uses the same base although I have started to take over the Grut armies (at the start it was to keep control of Grimnak but then I got a little better with it) and my oldest still uses a combination of soldiers (Drake/4th/10th and Captain America if the point's allow). My youngest who is now 4, a year older but believes himself to be 16, has switched to the Marro but that is mostly so he can yell StompStompStompStomp as he races across the board throwing figures to the side.

Now my oldest understands we will play another day and sees the fun in what his brother is doing and has even occasionally joined in, normally when I'm wining (not that often, obviously) yelling "Shield to the head!" as he flicks Nerak with his finger and sails him across the board.

So even though I've been able to add a massive variety of figures to our choices we're still using the same basic armies we started with. It's mostly my friends and their families that enjoy the choice.

My wife however can still often be seen in the background shaking her head at me and .

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; June 10th, 2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: The more things change...the more they remain the same.
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

My friends rarely have more than one of a squad as they want to try them all. Since they are more casual players, I intentionally pick less tournament worthy but still fun armies, but I still can't stop myself from having less than 2 of any squad.
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:36 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

I was just thinking about this.

There is always a race and some bickering to see who can get Syvarris, Kaemon, or Deadeye Dan within my local group (I find it funny cuz it's not like I don't own anything else, I have a large collection). I generally pick weaker or more fragile units that see less play so as to provide a challenge.

Q9 became hated after a 300 point, 6 man (errr 5 man, 1 woman) tourny, where a Kaemon and Q9 team dominated everybody he played. This is also where Deadeye rose to fame as he managed to one shot Q9 and a few others thoughout the day.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...

Last edited by King of the Marro; July 19th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:47 AM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

It changes every time I get a new pack.
I recently got Krug, and I played a game of:
x2 Arrow Gruts
x1 Swog
Mimring Krug

VS

Q9
Sgt. Drake (RoTV)
Kravs
Isamu

I wiped out the Kravs and Q9 with Krug. Sgt. Drake was weakened by Krug, so Mimring cleaned him up. With some good maneuvers, I was able to keep Krug alive and ultimately use those 120 points to take down nearly 300 points worth of the most feared units in game.

Kravs and Q9 have almost always meant death in my household, but this year I've gotten units that seem to... Stimulate their dominance.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

Top units as of yesterday:

Raelin (RotV)
Krav
Stingers
Q9/Q10
Ogre Warhulk
Sgt. Drake (either one)
Braxas
10th Reg.

The Krav are by far the most feared and hated especially since the time I destroyed an almost whole 800 point army.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Nom Nom Nom ...

Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Sorry for the double post, soon as I figure out how to delete it I will.

C3G team building links.

Last edited by Red Eyed Jedi; July 25th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Nom Nom Nom ...

Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Red Eyed Jedi is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

We usually play a 4 person 600 point tournament. Sonlen, Fen hydra, Cyprien, Niflheim, and Krug are often played. I usually go for a themed draft samuari, knights, dwarfs, etc. We rarely play Raelin, majors, or rats. Once in a while they will see the table if someone has been on a losing streak and needs a win.

Last edited by Red Eyed Jedi; July 25th, 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: grammer

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles