Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM

JRF2k is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Completely and utterly new to Heroscape

I saw the last Heroscape (this one http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-41712-Heroscape-Master-Set/dp/B0001ITVZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1267842119&sr=8-2 ) and gravitated toward it because I've always been a fan of RPGs and the like. I just never took the step to buy it. Now I am looking for games my daughter and I can share (she's almost 7) and gave Heroscape another peek. She likes RPGs much like her old man, wonder why . She's played the online game Aion with me and seemed to enjoy it, but we are past that, the account has been canceled and I am looking for a game with a more intimate setting so to speak, so I decided to take the plunge and get the Swarm of the Marro set. Should be here next week. I hope we get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Anyway, this is just my introduction. I am sure I'll be searching around to see how we can make the most of this set.
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Completely and utterly new to Heroscape

Welcome! Always great to have a new 'Scaper!
If you're looking for online sites to buy the newer/reprinted waves, I would reccomend

Auggie's
He sells packs and singles of terrain and figures. Or you could try:

Housmouse
Sandra is always quick on getting out the orders.

Both sites are run by people who know and love the game, and are members of the community here on 'Scapers.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:44 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker

If you want to learn about some of the units try the Books of Heroscape I wouldn't pay much attention to the power rankings, as they are meant for tourneys and the like.

Some good, playtested maps can be found at the Battlefields of Vallhalla These are smaller maps that are often used in tourneys, and have been approved by the BoV Committee for absolute fairness. But, as with the power rankings, don't let them limit you on what you bring to your 'Scape experience.

If you want to know more about the site here use this.

Once again, welcome!

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain

Last edited by Sport351; March 5th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:52 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Any of the site sponsors (links on the front page) are a great resource to build your collection.

I've been teaching my son slowly since he was 4. He's now 7 and comes with me to tournaments, holds his own pretty well too.

Welcome to the game, it's a fantastic ride.

-insert signature here-
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

My advice:

The best time to have gotten into Heroscape was five years ago.

The next best time is now.

...let the addiction contiue
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:02 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My son (5) and daughter (10) both play with me, though perhaps not as much as I would like. My son took to it right away, but my daughter wasn't much interested until she discovered that she could create her own custom figures, paint her own miniatures, and play with them with her dad. Then, of course, she only ever wanted to play with her own customs - I'm still working on getting her to expand her horizons a bit.

Have fun!

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hi and welcome.

I think MS 3, the one you bought, is maybe the best of the three master sets for teaching little ones to play. My next purchase might be one of the used MS 1's (RoTV they're called) on eBay because they come with a bunch of figures and a *ton* of terrain, and a Road to the Forgotten Forest which you can get new. It comes with a bunch of trees and road tiles.

Both of those will be excellent for the building aspect of the game, which is almost as much fun as playing.

Welcome and enjoy.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Brian_conatser Woo who?

Welcome!!! Glad to have another one bit by the bug. I bought Swarm of the Marro and Rise of the Valkyrie about a month back. Last week I bought 2 sets of the new master set and 2 sets of wave 1... My 9 year old son and I love it, but it can be very addicting.
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_conatser View Post
Welcome!!! Glad to have another one bit by the bug. I bought Swarm of the Marro and Rise of the Valkyrie about a month back. Last week I bought 2 sets of the new master set and 2 sets of wave 1... My 9 year old son and I love it, but it can be very addicting.
Considering the first thing the new guy did was find the fansite, I think he's well-prepared for the addiction, Bri.

JRF, my advice, when you start shopping, is to buy 3 or 4 of everything. Unless you're rich, then I'd go a lot higher.

Welcome to the site.
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Bolo knows what's in an order marker Bolo knows what's in an order marker

Welcome to the great game of Heroscape. I am sure that you and your daughter will have a great time with this game.

If a chicken and a 1/2, can lay an egg and a 1/2 in a day and a 1/2, how long would it take a grasshopper with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a cucumber?
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:04 PM

JRF2k is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I kept looking at the first one when it came out and it looked really interesting, but I never bought it. So when I finally said I would take the chance and see I couldn't find the Rise of the Valkyrie in the stores around here and online people were asking $85 for it.

Then I saw the D&D one and I almost got that one, but I really wanted to keep it in the original concept of the first one, but I was close to getting it. When I saw the Marro was out I told myself to get it or face not being able to find it.

I should have it Tuesday of next week.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

The nice thing about Master Set 1 (as well as the whole game) is the variety you get in the figures. SotM doesn't have as much of that going on, but its still a great start, and you'll get something for almost every general.

If you find yourself having fun with the first set (and the consensus on the fansite tends to be--you will), I would advise jumping on the DnD packs. Folks on the site debate the legitimacy and/or quality of the DnD additions. Where I come down is "It's all HS." The reason I advise that you go for it is that the DnD set is the one that is easiest to find right now, as you have already discovered, and the figures will help you flesh out your collection in the quickest and cheapest way possible.

And hey, have fun, man.

~Spite

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion