Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Unofficial "Not an Exclusive" figure contest!

DISCLAIMER: Please note that this contest is in no way officially endorsed by anyone (not WotC, Hasbro, Truth, or anyone else officially connected to the game). I do have permission to run the contest, but it is entirely custom, unofficial, and for fun.

That said:

While we greatly respect that WotC has valid reasons for not being able to produce a GenCon exclusive this year, many of us are feeling a void. To offset this and in the spirit of fun, we are once again offering a custom contest - a contest to create an unofficial unit in the spirit of GenCon exclusives!

Here are the rules!
  • You must create a unique hero, based on an existing sculpt - such sculpt must a unique squad figure, a common squad figure, or a common hero. (This is in keeping with actual GenCon exclusives over the years).
  • LIMIT: One entry per entrant!
  • While any name will be acceptable, in the spirit of community, we encourage you to do the following: There is a fine tradition of Heroscape units being named after people relavent to Heroscape. Everyone on this site fits that category! In that tradition, we encourage you to name your unit after a site user. It could be an anagram of their name (first, last or both), or perhaps a reference to them, such as their favorite unit to play or some contribution they have made to the site.
  • The judging date will be Saturday, July 11. This will give people plenty of time to check out the Wave 9 sculpts if they choose to use them.
Here is how it will be judged!
  • Unlike previous contests, there will be two categories of judging. The first, which is a single-winner category, will be by popular vote. This lets the community decide the "coolest" entry, and the winner will receive a $25 dollar gift certificate to War Gamers Headquarters (where you can order Heroscape online). Note that anyone who is a site member may vote; you need not have entered the contest. (With the caveat that I will not be voting).
  • The second category will involve the usual run of criteria by the usual panel of judges from all my other contests. Prizes are listed below, and will include another gift certificate, an Agent Skahen, and a few booster packs for the top placers.
There will be five areas of judging for the main contest:
  • Originality - obviously, the sculpt will only differ in repaint (though you need not actually repaint for this contest - we are looking for game mechanic orginality here).
    • If you wish to actually repaint the figure and showcase it, Kudos to you, but that is not required.
    • Resuing existing powers for other units is fine, but try to put them in an original context. For example, Raelin's (SotM) Whirlwind Attack is an excellent reuse of Shaolin Assault.
  • Playability - the advantage to reusing old ideas (see above) is that they are tested. If you do come up with something truly original, don't make the mistake of forgetting to make it playable.
    • The unit must work with the rules as is and must not be overpowered or underpowered overall.
    • Certain special powers, like those that allow you to affect a target plus every figure within two hexes, can really make a unit too powerful to play and be fun or competitive.
    • Rendering your figure immune to too many abilities can also garner a poor score here.
    • A unit that cannot function on normal terrain would be completely unplayable (though the Water Weakness power of the Obsidian Guards is a valid quasi-exception).
  • Clarity - Try to imagine all the questions that a person who is not living in your head would have when reading the exact wording. Ask for help in this forum! I will be glad to steer you toward clarity.
    • Make sure that the reader of your army card can tell whether the power affects friendly figures or merely those that you control.
    • Make sure the player knows just how a movement power lets him move.
    • For examples of excellent wording of complex powers, check out Tor-Kul-Na's Trample Stomp, the two Marro Hive powers, and the wording of the Tul-Bak-Ra's and the Mohicans' powers from Wave 9. These powers are very complex, but worded well enough to leave little, if any, ambiguity - so long as one takes the time to read the powers carefully.
  • Theme - The overall combination of appearance, powers and Valkyrie General allegiance should make an aesthetically and logically sensible package, and fit within the theme of Heroscape units to date.
    • To date, all Orcs have followed Utgar. If your Orc doesn't, you should have a valid reason why - perhaps an Orc ascetic who has rejected his race's ways to follow Ullar's teachings (and who synergizes with, say, the Shaolin Monks). Elves should likewise follow Ullar unless there is a valid explanation, such as the betrayer hinted at in the bio for the Warriors of Ashra.
    • Certain unit types, like Ninjas, Kyrie and Dragons, already appear across Valkyrie General lines.
    • If you want to go against a "sacred cow," do a really good job of pulling it off - A Soulborg who follows Einar, for example, should probably be an ancient, Greek-made, steam-driven automaton. A good rule is that if the fit doesn't feel right, change the general.
    • The other part of theme is fitting the powers to the unit. A slithering unit should be snakelike or have some really good reason to be in the water, like Water Suit. A flier should either have wings or be something like a Vampire or a Soulborg equipped with a rocket pack.
  • Cost - if you are making Jotun's brother, don't make him 50 points! On the other hand, a Life 1 Ninja is probably going to cost 10 points.
Post your entry either here. If you cannot make a card, someone will probably offer to make one for you. Just make sure the entry can fit entirely on one standard army card. Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=9289

Please use card blanks, available at

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=269

Here is a better Aquilla Blank, courtesy of Griffin who pointed it out to me:

Here is an Aquilla blank (a little hard to find among the others)

You can get the full resources here:

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=3249

Anyone is welcome to give input on this thread.

NOTE: I will start another thread for just the entries. To respect the contest rules:

1) First post your entry here. This is the only thread for feedback.
2) Also post your entry on the Entry Thread. In that thread, only make one post and post no feedback! THIS IS THE ONLY THREAD WHERE ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED; THEY MUST BE IN THIS THREAD TO BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ENTRIES!
3) This way, the thread you are reading will have all the clutter, while the other thread will have my initial post plus one post per entry, and no more. This will make the judging easier.

Prizes
For the popularity contest:
A $25 dollar gift certificate to War Gamers Headquarters

For the general contest:
Another $25 dollar gift certificate to War Gamers Headquarters
An Agent Skahen, still in the wrapping
A Swarm of the Marro Set
A Minutemen and Wolves pack
A Wolves and Militia pack

Any questions? PM Taeblewalker or post them here.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Taeblewalker; June 1st, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart
Re: Unofficial "Not an Exclusive" figure contest!

Great idea! One question? Is there a limit to how many entries per person.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Are you only taking final entries or will this be one of those contests where people will post figures and you and others will fix them for the entrants?
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pti8 View Post
One entry per person. I will put this in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Are you only taking final entries or will this be one of those contests where people will post figures and you and others will fix them for the entrants?
I will let other people who post to this site help each other if they wish, but the judges (myself included) will refrain from offering advice this time. In other words, listen to other entrants' or posters' advice at your own risk. Painful to abstain, perhaps, but it I'll try it your way, Onacra.

Old May 25th, 2009, 10:21 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

All previous exclusives have been from small expansions. Since there's no mention.. are we free to explore "other" options?
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pti8 View Post
One entry per person. I will put this in the first post.

Quote:
I will let other people who post to this site help each other if they wish, but the judges (myself included) will refrain from offering advice this time. In other words, listen to other entrants' or posters' advice at your own risk. Painful to abstain, perhaps, but it I'll try it your way, Onacra.
Thanks for clarifying that Tablewalker.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Poseidon's trident is surprisingly tart

This is an awesome idea! I want to participate in this but i have one problem, i don't know how to make cards. I know there are tutorials out there so can somebody give me a link or something? I am really sorry for the stupid question but i really want to be in this. Thanks in advance!Edit: Never mind I found some. Sorry for my laziness.

Twas' a bad day when I almost quit Heroscape.

Last edited by Poseidon's trident; May 25th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sounds cool! Well be getting the paints out for sure.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

An absolute repaint? no slight alterations to the sculpt? gun/head swaps?
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
Um...this is supposed to be using the same idea they use for GenCon exclusives so it is colors only
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am thinking of using a viking for the repaint. That or an AE.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRansom View Post
All previous exclusives have been from small expansions. Since there's no mention.. are we free to explore "other" options?
As long as they meet the requirements - use a common hero, a unique squaddie, or a common squaddie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon's trident View Post
This is an awesome idea! I want to participate in this but i have one problem, i don't know how to make cards. I know there are tutorials out there so can somebody give me a link or something? I am really sorry for the stupid question but i really want to be in this. Thanks in advance!Edit: Never mind I found some. Sorry for my laziness.
No problem!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
Um...this is supposed to be using the same idea they use for GenCon exclusives so it is colors only
Correct. I would add that keeping the hit zones the same is probably a good idea, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I am thinking of using a viking for the repaint. That or an AE.
The AE would work; and as long as you mean a Tarn Viking Warrior and not a Viking hero (I'm sure you do, but just to make it clear to the whole site), that sounds great!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games