Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM

Sapper has disabled reputation
Question about SD Card for my phone

There are many smart people on this site, so for those of you who are techo junkies I pose this question:

I bought a new cell phone and it has a microSD card slot so you can increase the storage. I then went a bought a 1GB microSD card to store music on. I currently have 512MB of music and a total of 150 items on the card. When I try and put more music on I get an error.

Is there limit to the total number of items you can put on a card regardless of how free space you have left? Or do I just have a junk card?

Thanks
Sapper

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Want to find out what a SAPPER is? Go HERE
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
Do you have access to a computer with the right card slot? See if it can tell you how much free space is left...

Sometimes cheaper card writing hardware, phones, cameras, etc... do not propperly delete files when they are deleted. These often need to be reformated to gain all the space back, and that kills all the data.

OR

Sometimes counterfiters will sell cards that are not what they claim to be... say they are 1GB when they only hold half that....

OR

You could have a defective card
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Question about SD Card for my phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
Do you have access to a computer with the right card slot? See if it can tell you how much free space is left...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper
I then went a bought a 1GB microSD card to store music on. I currently have 512MB of music and a total of 150 items on the card. When I try and put more music on I get an error.
Seems he knows how much space he has left...

What file system is it formated in? If its FAT16, there is a limit to the number of entries that can be in the root directory. You can try shortening the names of the files or reformatting (in which case you lose all your files) the drive to FAT32. The second option worked for me when I had a similar problem with my 2GB SD card.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
says he has 512 of music on it... a computer might read it as haveing 0MB free due to the fact the rest is taken up by "deleted" files... that need to actually be deleted... nto just marked for deletion.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
says he has 512 of music on it... a computer might read it as haveing 0MB free due to the fact the rest is taken up by "deleted" files... that need to actually be deleted... nto just marked for deletion.
Empty recycle bin. Defragging probably wouldn't hurt either. Those would only remedy the problem if its in FAT16 because like I said earlier there is a limit to how many entries there can be in a FAT16 file system. I'm willing to bet that reformatting it in FAT32 will fix the problem.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

I dont disagree...

I was thinking it was 255 items though...
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:24 PM

Sapper has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
I'm willing to bet that reformatting it in FAT32 will fix the problem.
This did the trick. Thank you very much Nether.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Want to find out what a SAPPER is? Go HERE
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Just out of curiosity, what kind of phone do you have? I have a Rumor (Sprint), and bought a 2 gig SDmicro with adapters from radio shack back in November. My 2 gig card has 212 songs and that's only 884 megabytes.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General