Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old October 31st, 2008, 06:58 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Unit Strategy Review: How to use Tor-Kul-Na

Honestly, thinking about it more I also don't see why Zelrig is on there. When you use Nagrubs in my eyes, you shouldn't have very many adjacent to Tor-Kul-Na at a time, so at best Zelrig is killing one or two nagrubs while doing jack-diddly squat to Tor-Kul-Na himself. If anything, Zelrig threatens the Nagrubs more, but there is no way that I am convinced that he hurts Tor-Kul-Na without harming the Nagrubs.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

I would like to note that even if you attack Nagrubs near Tor-Kul-Na, it is technically an attack against him, even though you're not hurting him.
This is due to the idea that Nagrubs=extra lives, and when you kill them, you're effectively removing those.

Just my

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I admit that Zelrig is not the strongest "to avoid" unit, but I believe the warning against "nagrub scattering" is worth putting it in there as at least a lukewarm warning.

Old November 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

Another strategy I have found is to use Eldgrim with Tor-Kul-Na. Eldgrim is only 30 points and can be used as a glyph holder. Using over-extend, he can move 10 spaces in a turn to quickly grab a glyph. When he dies, place Eldgrim's spirit on TKN, making him even faster, and potentially adding more opportunities for stomping.
Old November 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xHero View Post
Another strategy I have found is to use Eldgrim with Tor-Kul-Na. Eldgrim is only 30 points and can be used as a glyph holder. Using over-extend, he can move 10 spaces in a turn to quickly grab a glyph. When he dies, place Eldgrim's spirit on TKN, making him even faster, and potentially adding more opportunities for stomping.
That is an excellent point! Because of his unique abilities that +1 movement goes a lot further than it would for other figures.

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I agree. Interestingly, I often find that the 1 extra move for Tor-Kul-Na makes a significant difference in terms of his ability to travel over uneven terrain; choose his targets optimally; and use his Trample Stomp special ability when closing the gap against an enemy unit.

I've had some pretty hilarious (for me) Trample Stomp runs in opponents' start zone, thanks to that move +1 bonus... Good times.

Last edited by mccombju; November 1st, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
That is an excellent reason for us to really think about possible synergy with every other unit in the game when we review any particular unit, as daunting as that is getting, given how many are in the game. Excellent point!

Old November 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

An important thing to remember is that TKN doesn't have to be wounded to eat a grub.

Case in point: In a game I played TKN was behind a 'grub in a bottleneck waiting for it to die so he could go on a stomp-page against a hoard of zombies. The Zombie plyer wisely chose to leave the 'grub alive. TKN never got into the fight and was killed by an enraged Krug that moved in from behind. TKN died without doing a single point of damage. After the game, the zombie player casually mentioned that "you could have eaten that Nagrub..." The TKN player (and the rest of us, I was his ally) were like, "duh!" Lesson learned.

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:51 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker

First of all I'd like to thank Taeblewalker for posting this Strategy guide (it was the prize I requested for placing high enough in the common hero contest).

The units, in my experience, that give Tor-Kul-Na the hardest time and whom should be added to his "units to avoid" section are Krug, Charos, and Other Hivelords. As Huge characters they are all impervius to trample stomp and possess attacks that rival TKN.

Krug is problematic simply because whenever you fight him you run the risk of getting a double attack of 6+ planted on TKN's face. The bonding that Krug shares with Arrow Gruts can also be a problem since while Krug wails on your Hivelord, the Arrow Gruts try to pick off the Nagrubs to prevent healing.

Charos is a surprising danger that is present due to Charos' high life of 9 and counterstrike. Often, when facing large or huge opponents, the 3 attacks of 2 from Nagrubs can be very helpful in whittling down TKN's opponent. With Charos this tactic would be suicide since counterstrike can easily dispatch the puny attacks of 2 consistently. The cost to cost battle between the two giants often swings in Charos' favor due to his flying (easier to position and move) and his counterstike + very high life.

The other Hivelords (Su-Bak-Na and Wo-Sa-Ga) pose a problem because of the similar advatages they share with TKN (attack of 6+, and Nagrub Healing) coupled with their cheaper costs.
Su-Bak-Na, while having less life and defense than TKN has a higher attack and flying, often resulting in him achieving an effective first strike advantage against TKN that can have devastating effects.
Wo-Sa-Ga's main advantage is cost. At almost half the cost of TKN you can get an attack of 6 with the same movement and only slightly less health and defense; as well as MORE backup units from the extra points left over. While TKN can usually win in a 1vs1 engagement, the conflict REALLY comes down to who gets an unlucky roll first since their stats are very similar.

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?

Last edited by Zealot; December 1st, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM

FOOTBALLDUDE88 is surprisingly tart

I think TKN is probably the best marro out there and I have to mention and instance when my brother and a friend and I were playing and my friend had Grimnak and six heavy gruts left around him. My brother had TKN and trampled 5 of the 6 gruts and then killed a fully healthy grimnak to boot. My friend was sooooo mad. I actualy ended up winning the game because I took out TKN will my ranged Krav.

VOTE FEN HYDRA IN
UBR 2011!! ALL HAIL
FEN HYDRA,
IMMORTAL FEN
HYDRA
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM

SymphonyScaper knows what's in an order marker SymphonyScaper knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOTBALLDUDE88 View Post
I think TKN is probably the best marro out there and I have to mention and instance when my brother and a friend and I were playing and my friend had Grimnak and six heavy gruts left around him. My brother had TKN and trampled 5 of the 6 gruts and then killed a fully healthy grimnak to boot. My friend was sooooo mad. I actualy ended up winning the game because I took out TKN will my ranged Krav.

My sympathies to your friend who had so unwisely positioned his orcs in a way giving that advantage to Tor-Kul-Na. Oh, and by the way, I remember having FOUR Heavy Gruts around Grimnak.

Anyway, superb strategy guide to a very fun figure! Tor-Kul-Na is definitely a beast to play with and against!

My collection: 4 RotV, 1 SotM, 2 BftU 1 Marvel, 1 TT, 1 VW, 2 TJ, 2 RttFF, 2 FotA, all expansions excluding exclusives, and every wave with almost x2 of all commons.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:32 PM

docweb2004 Woo who?

Here I believe is a good 475 Army for a battlefield with plenty of water:

Tor-Nul-Ka 220
Grubs x2 60
Wo-So-Ga 135
Zetacron 60

You can use Zetacron for Range, Tor for stomp, etc., grubs for bonding and life support, and Wo-So-Ga for movement in the water.

Would be a great tourney team, but unfortunately there is usually only one map that has enough water for Wo-So-Ga to be effective.

AKA Agent Johnny Utah

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles