Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM

obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker
Why HeroScape is Perfect

As I was attempting to buy as many Volcarren Wastelands as possible on ebay, I slipped into nostalgia mode and started looking up old toys I used to play with as a kid. I am knocking on 30's door, and I am fortunate to have a 15 year old brother who has kept me up to date with today's games and toys. (It is his fault I am bankrupt, not mortgages or college loans.) I wasn't a big gamer as a kid, but I loved action figures. In the 80's they ran the gambit from M.U.S.C.L.E. Men and GUTS, BattleBeasts and M.A.S.K. (the 80's apparently were all about acronyms), Visionaries, and Centurions, to the more commercial products like HeMan and Star Wars. I would spend hours building huge battlefields out of blocks, legos, D&D castles, and whatever else I could find indoors and out. These were epic battles with all figures attempting to squash the other side into oblivion (Darth Vader, Skeletor, Venom, Decepticons vs Voltron, ThunderCats, HeMan, etc.). It spanned space, time, and genre.
HeroScape is a dream come true for a guy like me. It has EVERYTHING: a completely customizable board (with a castle!), figures representing many genres of warriors, different weapons, different objectives, and different armies! It is truly a perfect concept game.
The purpose of this post is simply to take a step back from arguements over which squad is better, why Taelord sucks, or how to improve the game and to appreciate what it is that drew us to this game in the first place. It is, quite simply, the best game ever created. It keeps us mentally agile (it takes planning to build an army based on terrain and synergy!). It is a chance to get together with friends and family and do something different. It gives us an excuse to patrol the toy aisle. It allows us to build and create. Most important of all, it allows us to tap into the kid that still gets a thrill from simply playing.

Back from the dead
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:08 AM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker
Plus it's got an orc riding a dinosaur! How cool is that?!?
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:08 AM

obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker obsidianguard knows what's in an order marker
Exactly my point!

Back from the dead
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
I think that one of the most telling things (positively speaking) about HeroScape is that you always hear new players saying things to the effect that, "this was the game I was always looking for." I think that just really sums up what a great match of simplicity, strategy, and luck that HeroScape presents.

I can't wait until Logan is old enough to play with the figures and get a feel for the game. It'll be awesome having him build stuff with the fantastic hex system...
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:13 AM

tchop is surprisingly tart
Word

Sums it up for me minus 5 years of age. M.A.S.K. - I forgot about mask since I was about 8. You just opened up a whole nostalgic can of whoop on me. Anyone remember Cops the cartoon with rockcrusher the inmate and big boss. How about dino riders. I wish I was a kid sometimes. Scratch the sometimes.

Screw you mortgages and student loans. I loathe you.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:14 AM

Whoa, we tag teamed that post dude
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:21 AM

Dude, Buttons Mcboomboom and Ms. Demeanor are the sweetest old school names for "crooks" ever.

See I told you your nostalgia inducing post would be cataclysmic to my head.

"ITS CRIME FIGHTING TIME!!!!!"
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Heh, HSL and I were nostalgic about our toys when we were kids. M.A.S.K., G.I. Joe, Centurions, Lazer Tag, Robotech and of course Star Wars. I miss being a kid sometimes but I always have new toys like Heroscape to play with.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:47 AM

eric.dunfee Woo who?
Re: Why HeroScape is Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidianguard
As I was attempting to buy as many Volcarren Wastelands as possible on ebay, I slipped into nostalgia mode and started looking up old toys I used to play with as a kid. I am knocking on 30's door, and I am fortunate to have a 15 year old brother who has kept me up to date with today's games and toys. (It is his fault I am bankrupt, not mortgages or college loans.) I wasn't a big gamer as a kid, but I loved action figures. In the 80's they ran the gambit from M.U.S.C.L.E. Men and GUTS, BattleBeasts and M.A.S.K. (the 80's apparently were all about acronyms), Visionaries, and Centurions, to the more commercial products like HeMan and Star Wars. I would spend hours building huge battlefields out of blocks, legos, D&D castles, and whatever else I could find indoors and out. These were epic battles with all figures attempting to squash the other side into oblivion (Darth Vader, Skeletor, Venom, Decepticons vs Voltron, ThunderCats, HeMan, etc.). It spanned space, time, and genre.
HeroScape is a dream come true for a guy like me. It has EVERYTHING: a completely customizable board (with a castle!), figures representing many genres of warriors, different weapons, different objectives, and different armies! It is truly a perfect concept game.
The purpose of this post is simply to take a step back from arguements over which squad is better, why Taelord sucks, or how to improve the game and to appreciate what it is that drew us to this game in the first place. It is, quite simply, the best game ever created. It keeps us mentally agile (it takes planning to build an army based on terrain and synergy!). It is a chance to get together with friends and family and do something different. It gives us an excuse to patrol the toy aisle. It allows us to build and create. Most important of all, it allows us to tap into the kid that still gets a thrill from simply playing.
Holy shnikies, thanks for the flashback to my childhood! There were so many cool toys in the '80s!
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:08 AM

django is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
You forgot to mention it doesn't talk back and try to cuddle after sexy time.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:15 AM

No ones gonna remember cops the cartoon, are they? Now I feel old even though I'm young. How did this happen?
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I was actually more of an "epic story" kind of guy, more like D&D, but I don't have time for that any more.

But yes, my blocks, my action figures, my spaceships (built out of cardboard), ahh, the good old days. This game truly brings back the joy of all those toys and it's a cool strategy game to boot.

Probably the best mix of strategy and simplicity I've seen in a game, not that I am a big miniature games player. It's brilliant.

And it's such a relief to see a thread on HS in general that is not about The Doom of HS. I get so tired of those posts. Thanks for an excellent breath of fresh air, obsidianguard. Here's to hoping HS lasts forever, I hope to see it in my closet alongside Monopoly and Chess in 50 years time. (When I will be 91, eek!)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion