Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old November 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Got in a few over the weekend.

Bunch of Quarriors.

Ascension: Return of the Fallen: Really like the new Fate cards.

The Golden City: Only picked this one up because is was a Tanga deal on BGG a few weeks ago (normally $40ish, got it for $21 including shipping).

It's a minimum 3-player game which is usually bad for our house since most of the games my son and I play are too difficult for my 6yr old daughter (reading being the biggest culprit).

Turns out that not only is The Golden City fun, but there's no text at all to read durning the game, everything is symbols.

Box says ages 10+ but my 6yr old did just fine.

-insert signature here-
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played two games of 7 Wonders this weekend, started using the B side. I think I like the B side boards a lot better. They encourage a wider array of resources and have more interesting decisions all around. I won the first game with 33 points of science cards and some military. I won the second with 29 points of blue.

Also got this guy done:

Old November 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Finished painting Zyla this weekend and am looking forward to playing Warhammer tomorrow night.
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:59 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Played two games of 7 Wonders this weekend, started using the B side. I think I like the B side boards a lot better. They encourage a wider array of resources and have more interesting decisions all around. I won the first game with 33 points of science cards and some military. I won the second with 29 points of blue.
We've been playing this a lot, too. The "A Sides" play a little simpler and there's less variation between the races. The "B Side" civilizations are far more nuanced and you have to tailor your play style much more carefully. My wife and I play "B Sides" while the kids play the "A sides." Winning with 29 points seems low to me, though. Our point values are routinely in the 40's.

We've also been playing Aquaretto. It's similar to Zooloretto but it's a lot more challenging. It's fun but takes a lot more brainpower and is less forgiving.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
Winning with 29 points seems low to me, though. Our point values are routinely in the 40's.

We've also been playing Aquaretto. It's similar to Zooloretto but it's a lot more challenging. It's fun but takes a lot more brainpower and is less forgiving.
Oh, no, I didn't just get 29 points. I got 29 points in blue cards alone as my major win condition. I think I had 61 points in the first game and 57 in the second or something like that. I also managed to win a good chunk of military points in both games along with the usual Wonder points and a smattering of other things.

I do like Aquaretto and Zooloretto. My wife really likes both, but both are a little more work than fun for me. I think its just that they are probably the most overtly passive aggressive games I've ever played. Maybe its just the cute and cuddly theme that makes me less interested in its mudslinging mechanics. And yet, I still like both of them.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice paintjobs Eclipse and Jormi.

I did a bit of painting myself recently; some thugs for ATZ.

More pics and info in my blog.
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Oh, no, I didn't just get 29 points. I got 29 points in blue cards alone as my major win condition.
It not so much that you were unclear, but that I am an idiot.

Quote:
I do like Aquaretto and Zooloretto. My wife really likes both, but both are a little more work than fun for me. I think its just that they are probably the most overtly passive aggressive games I've ever played. Maybe its just the cute and cuddly theme that makes me less interested in its mudslinging mechanics. And yet, I still like both of them.
That's a good point about the passive aggressiveness. We have stern rules prohibiting open expressions of schadenfreude when loading the trucks. I think it depends on how aggressive your game-group is. We don't typically screw up each other's trucks on purpose, though. I will occasionally fashion a "sweetheart deal" and expect a certain amount of reciprocity. I'm really teaching my kids how to succeed in Congress...

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks A-Train, yours and Eclipse look good too.
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

@ Onacara & Chas

Ahh yesss... Memoir'44 - although I've only played M'44 twice one night at a game club that I attended a couple of years ago, I've had my eye on it and absolutely love the simple C&C mechanics that Ricard Borg designed for his Light [ perhaps entry level ] War Games. When it first came out I was already into some other game as a Collectible Hobby and could not afford another money-pit. But... I have invested heavily in "Battle Cry" and "Battle Lore" with multiple copies of each in my collection. My intention was to plan huge campaigns for six-to-eight players on several adjacent maps. Unfortunately they have both been collecting dust in my attic for way too long.

@ all

This weekend I only got in one more game of "Stone Age." My daughter-in-law WON again, with me coming in a close second AGAIN. But Second is still only the First LOOSER. The scores were aprx. 198 to 186 to 173 to 157. It usually takes her a while to catch on to the mechanics and develop a strategy, but then she is a formidable opponent. I think it's time to introduce them to something new... maybe "SURVIVE - Escape from Atlantis" ...any suggestions for a couple that's still hooked on "Carcassonne" and Settlers of Catan?" I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends and playing at least a few games over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old November 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
regurgitation cynic

Fond of Memoir '44, though the setup time doesn't really compare well against the game length. My wife enjoys it quite a bit though, so its fun for that.
Old November 21st, 2011, 08:25 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Learned and taught my fiance how to play Eminent Domain last Friday. Its a fun and simple game in which you choose roles to build on your empire to gain as much influence possible. I know a lot of people compare it to Glory of Rome, but the interesting thing I find is no one notes the similarity it shares to Nightfall.

In Nightfall you play cards trying to chain matching moon colors to get the most out of your card's actions and you can supplement it with a kicker while your opponents can then chain off of your cards by matching the colors.

In Eminent Domain you play a role trying to boost matching role symbols to get the most out of your card's actions and you can supplement it by leading the role while your opponents can then follow your role by matching the symbols.

Anyhow, I can see myself playing this one often when you just have enough time for a 30-40 minute game (which is usually the case on weekdays). Oh yeah, I won a very close game with the scores as 28-27.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:41 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Went to a gameday on Saturday and had a great time. Played all day and got in:

Fortress America
Runewars
Tumblin' Dice x2
Crokinole
Glory to Rome
Thunder Road

Overall, a great day of gaming. Fortress America was new to me and I really look forward to the time I can get it back to the table.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games