Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old June 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Niner has disabled reputation
Marro Hive Hole?

I was reading the Card Errata and noticed "...if it is destroyed remove the hive and the six-hex swamp water tile base..." Depending on the map, couldn't this create a hole in the field? I was wondering what the ruling on that would be.

Let's Take The Weapons And War Itself With Us To Hell! -Duo Maxwell

Last edited by Niner; June 18th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Marro Hive Hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
I was reading the Card Errata and noticed "...if it is destroyed remove the hive and the six-hex swamp water tile base..." Depending on the map, couldn't this create a hole in the field? I was wondering what the ruling on that would be.
If it is placed as a drafted unit, it is not integrated in to the map and therefore the hive and base are removed.

If it is part of the map design, only the hive is removed, leaving the base on the map as a puddle of swamp water.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm curious-- what is the logic behind this ruling? Were there some conflicts that were being created by leaving the hive on the board after it was destroyed? I always liked the idea of the giant, mouldering corpse of the thing, out there and still acting as a LOS blocker.

So, now the thing shrivels up and disappears under the earth whence it came... why?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

I don't know why, but it could be pretty cool to include it as a function in a map as a kind of weak Fortress Door. You know: beat down the 2 defense, 6 life hive to gain access to a new area of the map.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:45 PM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite-M View Post
I'm curious-- what is the logic behind this ruling? Were there some conflicts that were being created by leaving the hive on the board after it was destroyed? I always liked the idea of the giant, mouldering corpse of the thing, out there and still acting as a LOS blocker.

So, now the thing shrivels up and disappears under the earth whence it came... why?

Nothing wrong with keeping it around as a house rule.

But maybe because the whole Hive itself is alive, so it kinda just blows up, or oozes dead, or evaporates or something with its however many "lives" it has!
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

My thought was that if used in an army this creates a LOS blocker inside of a starting zone, perhaps considered an unfair advantage (and not part of the cost of the hive--or not part of the cost of a dead hive, you might say).

Beyond that, it does make sense since every other dead unit is removed (no mouldering Krug and Zelrig carcasses left either). I'm okay with this.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM

jsilvrs is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite-M View Post

Nothing wrong with keeping it around as a house rule.

But maybe because the whole Hive itself is alive, so it kinda just blows up, or oozes dead, or evaporates or something with its however many "lives" it has!
Definitely going to house rule that. You can never have to many LOS blockers

Great Traders: Huggable Zombie
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
I don't know why, but it could be pretty cool to include it as a function in a map as a kind of weak Fortress Door. You know: beat down the 2 defense, 6 life hive to gain access to a new area of the map.
Now that you've said this, they both make sense to me. Either use the corpse as a LOS blocker, or block off an impassible choke point with the Hive and make its destruction necessary to the continuation of a scenario.

Damn your ability to make me see both sides of the issue!

Old June 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Lord_Paul is surprisingly tart

I think the rule was changed due to people hiding ranged units behind the hive, where melee units couldn't get to them.
(one of my friends does this quite a lot)

Making the world better, one post at a time.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

Maybe the Maw is just the tip of a giant beast lurking beneath the surface. The maw can only take so much damage before it retracts underground again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja
I'm going to use this though.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Off by a little. Plus a typo.

iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker

If you use a house rule that negates that rule, its fine. In tournements tho it is a diffrent story.

Valhalla's Darkest Hour: Custom Wave 3 and March of Shadows: Custom Large Expansion 1 coming soon.
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Marro View Post
Maybe the Maw is just the tip of a giant beast lurking beneath the surface. The maw can only take so much damage before it retracts underground again.
The maw? The maw? Oh no!

Ever read a short story (or see the Outer Limits episode) by George R. R. Martin called "The Sandkings"? The premise has these little insectoid beasties that live in a collective and go to war, and their queen / home is called the maw, because it looks like a mouth and it's their mom.

And it does not end well.

::shudder::

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's