Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old August 5th, 2022, 02:12 PM

bishopbeowolf is surprisingly tart
Talking Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Whoop! It's back baby! and so am I, lol.

Gosh, did I hate it when it was officially discontinued. It really killed my spirit for the game and I had just started dipping my toes into the custom creation side. I was a long time lurker slowly emerging out of my shell.

It's the game I first really enjoyed, deep-dived, and collected. I saw it at Walmart and took a chance. I introduced all my buddies to it. Played it weekly while in school. It is heavily attached to the nostalgia of my college years and formed the base of my board game pursuits and standards afterward.

IMHO, Heroscape sits at this wonderful juncture point of where board games and war games collide. It had easy access both in playing and purchase availability. It was strategic and not overbearing in rules. Pre-painted and low buy-in. Wonderful online community. Honestly, a unicorn game due to the factors for when it came into existence and what it offered. It was a bridge type game.

I, like many, am bummed about the pre-painted aspect but I'm here. It's brought me back to life. I'm ready to support the revitalization of the game. I'm hoping for the best while trying to be realistic with what's possible in the current climate.

Just this last week, I introduced the game to some college students (I live in a college town) and boy, were they hooked on the game even after losing their first match. If done right, I can say it will catch on to a whole new generation of potential players who will fall it love with it just like I did.

Overall, I'm 90% hyped and 10% apprehensive and I don't think that's a bad place to be at all
Old August 5th, 2022, 02:19 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopbeowolf View Post
Whoop! It's back baby! and so am I, lol.

Gosh, did I hate it when it was officially discontinued. It really killed my spirit for the game and I had just started dipping my toes into the custom creation side. I was a long time lurker slowly emerging out of my shell.

It's the game I first really enjoyed, deep-dived, and collected. I saw it at Walmart and took a chance. I introduced all my buddies to it. Played it weekly while in school. It is heavily attached to the nostalgia of my college years and formed the base of my board game pursuits and standards afterward.

IMHO, Heroscape sits at this wonderful juncture point of where board games and war games collide. It had easy access both in playing and purchase availability. It was strategic and not overbearing in rules. Pre-painted and low buy-in. Wonderful online community. Honestly, a unicorn game due to the factors for when it came into existence and what it offered. It was a bridge type game.

I, like many, am bummed about the pre-painted aspect but I'm here. It's brought me back to life. I'm ready to support the revitalization of the game. I'm hoping for the best while trying to be realistic with what's possible in the current climate.

Just this last week, I introduced the game to some college students (I live in a college town) and boy, were they hooked on the game even after losing their first match. If done right, I can say it will catch on to a whole new generation of potential players who will fall it love with it just like I did.

Overall, I'm 90% hyped and 10% apprehensive and I don't think that's a bad place to be at all

Yeah everyone I've introduced the game to has liked it and been eager to play again. One plus is that since the terrain will still be painted like the old content, then it will still have some of that wow factor that we saw back in the day. A new player may see this box on the shelf or in a pic online and be intrigued by the map that is built, regardless of whether or not the figure is painted
Old August 5th, 2022, 02:23 PM

foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby! foofoofun rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoofun View Post
I’ve been ruminating on it, and while I can’t speak for everyone I think I’m personally still a bit bitter about how heroscape ended on an official level.

On a rational level I understand why unpainted minis are the correct decision, but on an emotional level it kind of feels like I’m being punished for something that wasn’t my fault. I put a lot of money and emotional energy into trying to keep heroscape going. I bought the product when things were good, I bought the product when hasbro screwed up and were forced to switch to reusing d&d figures. I invested a lot of emotional energy into trying to be positive about it the whole way through.

And now I’m being told that I must sacrifice more. I want to be excited but excitement and hope backfired on me last time, and I mostly don’t want to be burned again.

I understand why people might be upset about negative posts like mine though. I’m sure there’s some serious emotional whiplash to be very excited for the miraculous revival of what appeared to be a completely dead game and then see parts of the community react with melancholy and defiance.

I guess what I’m saying is that I think everyone needs to understand that this might not be a simple situation. I think emotions are high and we need to be patient with each other and sympathetic to how everyone is feeling.
"Do you want to buy this new toy? It's similar to an old toy you like but there are some changes."

"How much more do you want me to sacrifice!? Before, when you were offering me nothing, I was free from cruel torture like this."

Really?
It’s my emotional reaction there is no logically explaining it, in-fact to try and rationalize it would just make my message contradict itself as I try to force my mixed emotions into nonsensical rational arguments.

To use to the toy analogy, “there was nothing wrong with the old toy, and I’m upset that I have to choose between the new toy and no toy at all. In a fair world I wouldn’t have to make that choice, I’d have the old toy.”

You can claim it’s silly, but I would frame it as honesty. I want people to understand that there’s a real chance that if I don’t pick up this new heroscape it’s not due to some decision made by the current team, but an emotional choice on my part that’s much more complex and that it might not have a possible solution. I understand that a number of the people working on the game are potentially gonna be reading this and I don’t want to give the impression that they could of made a choice that would’ve effected my decision. The truth is I have negative emotional memories with heroscape and my viewpoint of the new heroscape will be impacted by that. That’s all there is to it.
Old August 5th, 2022, 02:28 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I mean, I get that people are going to be irrational and emotional about this. As long as y'all are owning it, I guess it is what it is.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 5th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopbeowolf View Post
I'm hoping for the best while trying to be realistic with what's possible in the current climate.
I just want to remind everyone again, that during the 12 years HeroScape has been discontinued, Wizkids has been making appropriately priced, pre-painted Heroclix minis the entire time and have released thousands of figures during HS's break. It is clearly not impossible, Hasbro is making a choice.
Old August 5th, 2022, 02:39 PM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!

Right, and its not a surprising choice given their recent actions. They've been cutting budgets on Transformers for years, making them smaller for higher prices. Unfortunately its the business model they like and that apparently works for them.

Old August 5th, 2022, 02:48 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

We have on authority that the master set would cost in the neighborhood of $400 prepainted. I for one think they should just offer that option to y'all and be done with it. But overall I'd say lets chill with the painted/unpainted talk here on the forums. Y'all can haunt Facebook with that.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 5th, 2022, 03:04 PM

bishopbeowolf is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Y'all can haunt Facebook with that.
Agreed
Old August 5th, 2022, 03:20 PM

DOAisBetter knows what's in an order marker DOAisBetter knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku4470 View Post
just a quick thought i am surprised no one is accounting for the cost of all the paint materials needed. Like that is a huge downside. Thankfully i have alot of that stuff from warhammer but im not excited about painting. i got a huge back log as is. Not trying to complain im glad that games back but my hype for the product went down considerably. I hope it will come with a bunch of terrain or something or come with the paints. I was thinking and hoping that they arent trying to make there own overpriced warhammer version of heroscape.
The cost of all the painting materials is very low unless you decide to make it more expensive than it needs to be. I also paint Warhammer and my daily driver for brushes is a $7 pack from Walmart that lasts a long time. To prime the minis a $5 can of light gray or white primer that works on plastic is perfect. Paints you can get a $7 set of apple barrel craft paints again from Walmart that cover pretty much all colors. Then you just need to go to a local hobby store and buy a cheap wash like army painter dark tone which should be less than $5. The only additional buy I would consider is a spray on varnish which from my limited research would also run you $5.

So everything you need can be bought for $30 plus tax which isn't a huge investment. Worst case scenario you hate painting give the paints and brushes to your kids, or young relatives.

I get people not wanting to paint but the cost to paint the minis weighs far more on your time than your wallet.
Old August 5th, 2022, 03:27 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOAisBetter View Post
Quote:
just a quick thought i am surprised no one is accounting for the cost of all the paint materials needed. Like that is a huge downside. Thankfully i have alot of that stuff from warhammer but im not excited about painting. i got a huge back log as is. Not trying to complain im glad that games back but my hype for the product went down considerably. I hope it will come with a bunch of terrain or something or come with the paints. I was thinking and hoping that they arent trying to make there own overpriced warhammer version of heroscape.
The cost of all the painting materials is very low unless you decide to make it more expensive than it needs to be. I also paint Warhammer and my daily driver for brushes is a $7 pack from Walmart that lasts a long time. To prime the minis a $5 can of light gray or white primer that works on plastic is perfect. Paints you can get a $7 set of apple barrel craft paints again from Walmart that cover pretty much all colors. Then you just need to go to a local hobby store and buy a cheap wash like army painter dark tone which should be less than $5. The only additional buy I would consider is a spray on varnish which from my limited research would also run you $5.

So everything you need can be bought for $30 plus tax which isn't a huge investment. Worst case scenario you hate painting give the paints and brushes to your kids, or young relatives.

I get people not wanting to paint but the cost to paint the minis weighs far more on your time than your wallet.
I've never tried a varnish before myself. What's the benefit of using it? Is it purely to protect the paitnjob, or does it provide some aesthetic quality?
Old August 5th, 2022, 03:32 PM

Tritzix Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOAisBetter View Post
Quote:

I've never tried a varnish before myself. What's the benefit of using it? Is it purely to protect the paitnjob, or does it provide some aesthetic quality?
Matte varnish is what most people use. Adds a protective clear coat that prevents paint chipping.
Old August 5th, 2022, 03:56 PM

Riku4470 is surprisingly tart

i mean ya thats the extreme low end but when would it ever end at 30 dollars? thats not realistic. Also the minis would look like crap from the paint you described its to thick. At the vary least you would need to get modeling paint. Like army painter or something. Vallejo is alright too. Seeing how big that large dragon is it would be a pain in the butt to use a paintbrush on that. Air brushes save a lot of time on things like that. I wonder how many products they plan on releasing. They did say there is a Release schedule they cant talk about. Like personal time is important too. I just hate how painting minis turns into a part time job or at least that what it feels like.

I did see one guy mention contrast paints, perhaps that would be a good route to go. Those save alot of time too if anyones interested but those cost like 8 bucks a color i think.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion