Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old July 29th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: GenCon 2011 Videos

Okay, after a long day of video making I now have all of the Saturday videos up!

*SW Faction Battles
Championship Day 2 Top 16
Championship Day 2 Top 8
Championship Day 2 Top 4
Championship Day 2 Finals
HS General Wars

Wish I got more from General Wars, I was probably burnt from all of the Championship footage. Ah well, at least I have a solid Day 2 series. It's really hard and tedious to play in a tournament while trying to film everything........but I love it.

Now onto the Sunday ones...
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
These are great, Cleon. Thanks for putting them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
New vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnafjwL36w&feature=plcp

Championship Day 1, all Heroscape!
Look at 4:51! That's me and my Vipers beating Jexik's Blast/Glad Combo!
Oh, I spotted it. Nice job moving to avoid the premature cyberclaw there.
With 9 move, it's not that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
Quote:
Remind me when you near me at GenCon 2012 to look at the camera and say something, okay?
If you're really on top of things, you can tell Cleon what armies you and your opponent are playing.
Good idea. I need to remember to do that. Or something to that effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
Quote:
It's nice to see others playing Vipers. But I'm still the best at 'em.
Paging killercactus...
Well, I a lot better with them than I was last year, I think. Maybe KC has gotten better with them, I don't know.

Cleon, that's for saying the player's names. Some of them I knew, others I forgot, and some I never had a name to a face. Nice to know who they are.
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Cleon, that's for saying the player's names. Some of them I knew, others I forgot, and some I never had a name to a face. Nice to know who they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroche View Post
Awesome....thanks! I can see myself getting my butt kicked by TurkeyClubSamich in HoB at the 3:40 mark.
Quote:
There I am at 2:02 in the Red WKU T-Shirt! And again at 7:28.

Thanks for posting these, Cleon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
These are great, Cleon. Thanks for putting them up.
You all are very welcome, it's a huge pleasure.

Tomorrow I think I'll start getting Sunday up.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I like browsing through these Cleon. Thanks for doing them! It is great to a big tournament in action and to put some faces to heroscapers names.

I'd echo what was already said in that it is great when you introduce the players and/or their armies or ask them to introduce themselves. In fact, any commentary you provide (how the game's going, etc) is welcome. (I imagine that probably is hard to do, since as you mention, you're also playing your games, so you probably haven't seen a lot of these games).

Some questions--
  1. What are all of the 3/4" (or so) stickers on the maps? It looks like some are used to mark glyph locations, but what about the others?
  2. Why were a couple of the near-finals games in 2011 determined by a die roll?
  3. dok question--what is dok's yellow box(es)? The first time I saw it, I thought maybe he used that to carry his stuff from game-to-game, but he seems to be grabbing and holding it a lot, although he doesn't seem to use it for dice rolling.
  4. Second dok question--although I imagine only he can answer it--I've started taking notes, but I'm still experimenting with what I think I will and won't find useful, and I see dok also takes notes. I'm curious about what you take notes on, dok, or do you consider it part of your "secret sauce?"

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:04 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Why were a couple of the near-finals games in 2011 determined by a die roll?
Here is why.......

D20 Roll

Here are my notes from the first day....

Quote:
Game #4 (Spider Poison) 3xGladiatrons + 2xBlastrons + Raelin + 2xBlack Wyrmlings
Map: Ticalla Sunrise Glyphs: ???

We had close to a mirror match here. I had PK’s, he had 2 Black Wyrmlings and 1 more squad of Glads. I looked at the map and the matchup and the opponent and offered SP a D20 roll to decide the match. Here are the reasons:
1 – Mirror matches stink. I hate having to look at a map and try to remember which units were mine and which were his.
2 – SP is a near perfect player and would not have made any mistakes.
3 – This long map would have left us with several rounds of just building up slowly moving towards the center high ground.
SP felt like we should play the match, so he set up his start zone as did I. He looked over the map again as well as our armies and asked if the D20 roll was still available. It was! I rolled first, a 4, UGH. He rolled a 3. If I was playing just about anybody else or if we had different armies I would have certainly played this match out. I just didn’t see the match being much fun and I play Heroscape for fun(mostly!) (3-1)

Last edited by lonewolf; July 30th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Quote:
I like browsing through these Cleon. Thanks for doing them! It is great to a big tournament in action and to put some faces to heroscapers names.

I'd echo what was already said in that it is great when you introduce the players and/or their armies or ask them to introduce themselves. In fact, any commentary you provide (how the game's going, etc) is welcome. (I imagine that probably is hard to do, since as you mention, you're also playing your games, so you probably haven't seen a lot of these games).

Some questions--
  1. What are all of the 3/4" (or so) stickers on the maps? It looks like some are used to mark glyph locations, but what about the others?
  2. Why were a couple of the near-finals games in 2011 determined by a die roll?
  3. dok question--what is dok's yellow box(es)? The first time I saw it, I thought maybe he used that to carry his stuff from game-to-game, but he seems to be grabbing and holding it a lot, although he doesn't seem to use it for dice rolling.
  4. Second dok question--although I imagine only he can answer it--I've started taking notes, but I'm still experimenting with what I think I will and won't find useful, and I see dok also takes notes. I'm curious about what you take notes on, dok, or do you consider it part of your "secret sauce?"
You're welcome.

Yeah, the commentary is very helpful when I'm making these too. I'll try to be more eccentric and alive this year haha, i sound a bit boring in them, and also try to speak more in general. It's definitely difficult to speak as far as how people's games are going, like you agreed, I'm also in the tournament and focusing on games. But like I said, I'll try to speak some more this year.

I believe the stickers on the maps are from previous years to indicate start zones. I know in 2008 for sure, they had white reinforcer stickers to indicate start zones and maybe glyph spaces too. They have an inventory of terrain stored for GC that they reuse each year so I assume there are still some pieces with stickers from previous years. Recent years have had map reference sheets, getting rid of the need for stickers (I forget if they had these back in '08 ).

dok uses that box for dice rolling, similar to how you roll dice in Yahtzee.

I'm pretty sure dok writes down critical moves and positioning in each round so it makes it a lot easier and accurate for battle reports. I've seen other players do this, such as FishTako. I know chess players do this too, to look back on their match move by move, but it's a lot easier to do for Chess.
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:17 AM
Baron of Beantown V

All of Sunday's up:

HS Monster Mash Finals
HS Tournament of Champions
HS Tournament of Champions Finals

That's all of 'em. Enjoy, and thanks for watching!

I do have two questions I hope you guys can answer:

1. The Monster Mash vid I have is heroscaper314 vs. Dragonmaster384's Dad; is this the final match for Monster Mash? I believe it is, because they both placed 1st and 2nd but I wasn't positive.

2. Anyone know the name of Dragonmaster384's dad? I was going to put his first name + last initial, I'd rather do that than 'Dm's dad' in the title (I'll put it in the description), but I can't find it anywhere. I know he played in the championship and he and his sons have been at our tourneys for 2 or 3 years now. If I recall correctly I think he made Day 2 one year, but not '11 or '10, so maybe '09. Anyone know his name?

Last edited by Cleon; July 31st, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I believe the stickers on the maps are from previous years to indicate start zones. I know in 2008 for sure, they had white reinforcer stickers to indicate start zones and maybe glyph spaces too.
Yeah, I've seen them used as glyph markers in your videos, but the others don't seem to be randomly located either. For example, in the day 2 finals they are at the glyph spots, but also are symmetrically placed elsewhere including marking a particular water space in each player's start zone...

Quote:
dok uses that box for dice rolling, similar to how you roll dice in Yahtzee.
That was my guess, but I noticed him rolling several times in the videos, but never using the box. I guess that's just how the edits worked out.

Thanks, lonewolf for explaining the roll-off rationale. I skimmed the Gencon 2011 results thread and saw mentions of it, but not an explanation of why you guys did it. I'm not sure that I would have done it, but your rationale makes sense. Well, technically if I was playing one of you high-skill players and my goal at that time was to advance (rather than use the game to learn), unless the matchup was *very* favorable to me, I definitely would have taken the 50/50 chance versus trying my luck otherwise!

You mentioned you hate keeping track of whose figures are yours when you and an opponent are playing with similar armies. Am I the only one who keeps markers around just for that purpose? I use small 1/4-inch round stickers that have a removable adhesive. Just place a one on the top of each of your figures' bases and remove them when the game is done. Here's a link to the $5 pack of 475 pastel ones on Amazon, but you can buy the same pack for $3 (ish?) at Wal-Mart. The pastel colors show up very nicely against the base stickers.

In fact, I also use these 1/4-inch stickers on the bottom of my figures to mark ownership. They stay put, they fit into the flat areas on the bottom (even barely on those tiny D&D bases), but I've peeled them off 1.5 years later (when giving away some figures) and they come off easily with no residue. Highly recommended!

Now back to the actual topic of this thread. Last night I watched Cleon's latest batch of videos. Now I don't know much about the tournament scene, but I'm pretty sure I know who the guy in the white shirt is, and I know which figure he's using in the video...

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; July 31st, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Matthias has been caught!

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by MegaSilver; July 31st, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old July 31st, 2012, 12:01 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Thanks, lonewolf for explaining the roll-off rationale. I skimmed the Gencon 2011 results thread and saw mentions of it, but not an explanation of why you guys did it. I'm not sure that I would have done it, but your rationale makes sense. Well, technically if I was playing one of you high-skill players and my goal at that time was to advance (rather than use the game to learn), unless the matchup was *very* favorable to me, I definitely would have taken the 50/50 chance versus trying my luck otherwise!
To be honest - if I was playing against anyone else but SP, I would have played the game. I have played against SP enough to know that he doesn't make mistakes. I do make mistakes, so the odds were in his favor. I consider him as the only person who plays the trons as well as I do. It wouldn't have been a fun game to play in my opinion.....Trons vs Trons is lame. I suspected that Dok was going to advance in the other semi as he was playing my son and my son had beat him the previous day with his army, so assuming the same skill level, Dok was set to return the favor. I really didn't like my matchup against his army either, so losing the roll carried no ill effects for me. I am as competitive as they come, but in the end this is just a game after all!

When I play against the same figures that I am playing, I turn all my figures so that they are facing me and my opponent does this same. This helps reduce the confusion.
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Maybe I was just looking at the board from a different perspective???

Not one of my best moments playing, but I did beat dok...again...

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con