Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 11th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 520 Point Competitive Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I don't think I've ever tried playing three squads of Deathstalkers, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up if I did.
I have. I didn't get my hopes up. I was disappointed anyway.
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:04 AM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
Nilfhiem 185
Zelrig 185
Mimring 150
I think this would beat most squad-based armies and would be very fun to play. The main reason I would hesitate to use it would be the possibility of running into a Q9-based army; Nilfheim would probably have to shoulder most of the load, and he can be pretty swingy in 1v1 situations. I've killed Cyprien in one hit with him, but I've also lost him to the Q-gun in a single round of fire.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker

There are two different armies that I would bring to Gen Con if I could afford to go . If someone uses 1 of them, I would be very very interested to see how it fared.

1st...

Tor-Kul-Na ----------- 220
Marrden Nagrubs x4 --- 120
Iskra Esenwein -------- 50
Rechets of Bogdan ---- 50
Marro Warriors -------- 50
Eldgrim --------------- 30

2nd...

Zelrig ---------------- 185
Minions of Utgar x3 --- 330

I have played a smaller version of the 1st one extensively and it is VERY effective, Buddy Lee has only beaten it once when he used a custom made army to counter it (Q9, Marrden Hounds, and Deathstalkers, nobody to trample )

The second one is one that I'm going to test this week at ARMADA Games, it seems really deadly on paper and it is even scarier to look at on a board, Red Wings everywhere .

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

This is what I plan on taking to Gen-Con main tourney:

Kaemon Awa (120)
Syvarris (100)
Q10 (150)
Raelin Rotv (80)
Tarn Viking Warriors (50)
Marcu (20)

I am not posting this to show off. I just think it is solid and can overcome any obstacle. It has been tried and true against Q9 armies, stinger armies, and orc armies.

Syvarris, Kaemon Awa, and Q10 can fight squads and heroes. So the opponent has to decide who to kill first. Raelin can help syvarris, Q10 and/or Kaemon.

I especially like it because it has all the generals but Aquilla.

One team that I would consider:
nakita agents (120)
gorillanators (90)
microcorp agentsX2 (100)
Sarge Drake #1 or Alastair McDirk (110)

Old June 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Gurei-Oni - 100
Krav Maga Agents - 100
Raelin - 80
Marro Stingers x4 - 240

Total = 520

I've gotta give this one a whirl. Are you up against a ton of common ranged squads? Send out Rae, Krav and Oni. Up against some heroes? Send out Rae and Stingers. The Krav can even be good at trying to stop Zelrig from frying your Stingers if you can engage and/or weaken him.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM

jacob_j_p is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Gurei-Oni - 100
Krav Maga Agents - 100
Raelin - 80
Marro Stingers x4 - 240
I've been trying to get Gurei-Oni into competitive armies to no avail. This one looks like it might work, I'll have to give it a shot.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_j_p View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Gurei-Oni - 100
Krav Maga Agents - 100
Raelin - 80
Marro Stingers x4 - 240
I've been trying to get Gurei-Oni into competitive armies to no avail. This one looks like it might work, I'll have to give it a shot.
The only way I can see Oni working is if 1) He has Raelin and 2) There aren't any other good targets to shoot. This makes the Krav amazing for teaming with him. I've also kicked this around for 500 point armies:

Gurei-Oni - 100
Raelin - 80
Krav - 100
Drake V2 - 170
Marro Warriors - 50

Total = 500, the EOV make a good addition for 600.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

EDIT - Props to playa1; He already posted the below a few pages back

This one hit me last night. Probabaly not all that great and apologize if it has already been posted:

Taelord 180
Raelin 80
Zetacron
2xSnipers

You might want to sub out 2xreavers for Raelin depending on your playing preference.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; June 20th, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Messenger has disabled reputation

Interesting. Ry, if you'll remember, I played that army a couple years ago in Cincinnati (and you beat me ), except it was the 500pt version:

180 Taelord
080 Raelin
200 Onmicron x 2
040 Deathreavers

It was designed specifically to beat a 4th mass swarm army, which it does quite well (ask funrun). The snipers out-range the 4th, forcing them to advance and lose their WtF bonus. Raelin gives the snipers much needed staying power, and Taelord's bonus guarantees them two dice, averaging one skull, which becomes two (usually enough to take out a 3def MM).

The major drawback is that nearly all your firepower is wrapped up in six (or seven, with Zetacron) figures. It is crucial to remain within the aura('s), but that means you'll almost always concede the glyphs. Rats will help, but if you trade out Raelin you're making the snipers more fragile.

Here's something interesting. In a 520pt build, if you start with your base of Tae, Rae, and Zeta, you're left with 200 points. Spend 80 on rats. Then you're left with 120 to go shopping. Ask, who can best utilize additional att & def for 120pts?

Kaemon Awa? Krav + Marcu? Stingers x 2? Airborne Elite + Isamu? I myself would go with:

180 Taelord
080 Raelin
060 Zetacron
080 Deathreavers x 2
120 Stingers x 2

Zetacron's range forces opponents to come within range of the stingers. The rats should provide enough cover in case you need to advance. The Stingers are good enough on their own without auras. It comes down to playing style, I guess.

There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:22-24
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:37 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

This is a good observation, messenger, and of course I remember that game. The only reason I won is because of the imbalance that the summon glyph can cause. Summoning Taelord away really screwed up your strat. Summon glyph is not good for tournaments.

Your point of reavers and stingers is an excellent one. We had a mini tournament here in Dallas a month or so back and the Tae/reaver/stinger combo was a big player in the testing but no one fielded the army. The ability to mass cheap, effective units with the attack aura boost can be very effective.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

I feel like I'm posting my ideas one at a time. At any rate here is a 10th Foot army that I think may be viable. Or maybe not who knows. Its pretty similar to the army R˙chean played in that Cincinnati tournament.

R˙chean Ripoff
Raelin
Marcus
10th Foot x 3
Airborne Elite
515 points

The 10th Foot are a little better then the 4th Mass here since Marcus's movement boost gives them a better chance at engaging targets making this a very offensive minded army.

You also have the option of this:

Decision Maker
Raelin
Marcus
10th Foot x 2
Airborne Elite
Deathreavers x 2
520 points

This army requires a little more finese since the offensive power has taken a little bit of a hit. The deathreavers should hopefully make the lives of your soliders last a little bit longer.

Grenade lobbyist
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsfan82 View Post
One team that I would consider:
nakita agents (120)
gorillanators (90)
microcorp agentsX2 (100)
Sarge Drake #1 or Alastair McDirk (110)
If you have Laglor, I would suggest him for the final 110. He synergizes with everyone in that army.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion