Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Mad_wookiee's Maps - Hellsgate added 5/14/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Hellsgate has been updated so that the level 5 hexes are 7 spaces from each start zone. It's really a fairly minor update in terms of the play footprint, but under the hood it feels a lot more significant as that single hex move required a fairly large rewrite of level 1. Now, though, that hex is out of reach of a first-turn Raelin move for both sides.
I like it! And I do appreciate the effort it took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Sorry, dok - glyphs are still 9 hexes out.
Why do you hate zombies so much? All they want to do is eat your brains.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. You fixed the only issue I had with the map that I thought was worth fixing.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Last round of edits on Hellsgate. Man, I never thought I'd spend this much effort moving around just a couple of hexes. The new edits are small in terms of the physical map surface but I think they'll have a definite impact. The biggest change is the addition of a second hex on the outside of the ruins, opening up the sides just a bit and making it much more difficult to block a figure along those paths. I've also added an additional hex on level 4 flanking the glyph, and I've raised one of the road hexes by one level making things a bit easier on double spaced figures. This meant another fairly involved rewrite of both levels 1 and 2 for what's in effect six single hex changes to the play area - but I think it was worth it.

Thanks to Gamebear for providing some helpful suggestions that let me solve a few of the design challenges - much appreciated!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

mad_wookiee, these last changes turned it from a to a in my book. It needed the space around the edges.

Isn't GameBear great?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Well, "need" might be a stronger verb than I'd use. I think blocking the gap was tougher than one might assume from just looking at the image - it was at best a third turn play for most armies, and you'd pretty much have to completely ignore that side to allow it to happen. Still, I think this helps out a few of the slower armies and makes the path more reliable, so it's an improvement.

The challenge I find in doing major edits to a map that I've worked on for a while is that I allow some assumptions about structure to become set in stone. In this case, I really needed another couple of hexes freed up to get the additional hex on the outside of the ruins up to level 3. Gamebear pointed out that I could rotate the large castle walk pieces on level 2 to still cover the same area, leaving a single hex gap under the 24 hexers on level 3. I'd actually considered this orientation earlier in the map's life but at that point it didn't quite work, so I hadn't even looked at that swap. He's also pioneered so far as I know the use of wall bases as support pieces, something that I took advantage of to free up a few extra hexes from level 1.

This is a terrain combo that really requires every hex to be used purposefully in order to have a balanced and aesthetically pleasing map. This version is very, very close to the one that I submitted for the contest - but I think it's ever so slightly better. I can't see anything at this point that's left to tinker with.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Ah, the ol' bases-as-support-pieces trick. Nice.

I'm definitely going to have to find time to play on this map before Gencon, even though it's not one of the Gencon maps.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:02 PM

It's on the list for a few of our local events, so I'm interested to hear how it fares.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM

marroking1 knows what's in an order marker marroking1 knows what's in an order marker

I hope you don't mid but I nominated Hell's Gate. It is such an awesome map. I have played around twenty games on it and have not been disappointed at all. Great Job on it MadWookie

marroking1 is Major Q9...
in the DIAMOND CAVE[/URL]...
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:50 PM

Wow - thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Incendium

New map for the Monster Mash event on July 30:

Incendium - added 6/9/2011

Requires 1 SotM, 2 RttFF, and 1 VW.
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Mad_wookiee's Maps - Incendium added 6/9/2011

Classic mad_wookiee right there. I like it *much* more than Ember Canyon Road.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mad_wookiee again.
Curses! Incendium looks great. It should be a fun addition to the Monster Mash event!
Old June 10th, 2011, 11:14 AM

I love it; it really shows off the power of the lava terrain at its best. You're inspiring me to try similar terrain sets, and to get to that repainted lava project I've been meaning to tackle.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios