Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM

MarioFanaticXV Woo who?
4th Massachusetts Line or 10th Regiment of Foot?

Their base stats are nearly identical, the only difference being that the 10th costs five points more. Then we get to their abilities, and even the first of those are the same. However, when we look at the rest of the abilities, I begin to think: maybe those extra five points are worth it; where as the 4th's defense bonus requires all your army cards to be valiant to activate, the 10th's requirement is much simpler: they simply need to engage their foe. Furthermore, they also have the ability to retain their attack bonus while moving, so long as they're engaged with their target(s).

I realize that there hasn't been proper time to run tournaments with them, but from crunching the numbers, I think the 10th is slightly superior. Thoughts?
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Windy_City_Hawk has disabled reputation
Re: 4th Massechusetts Line or 10th Regiment of Foot?

I agree. Unless you are using an all Valiant army, the 10th are slightly better for the 5pt difference.
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

It really depends on what kind of army you want to field. For instance, when you play the 4th Mass your army should be all valiant but more importantly the 4th are much more defensive. They pare best with knights and Gilbert (imho).

Where as the 10th Foot are more aggressive and could pare with a wider variety of characters and keep their usefulness, a good benefit for 5 extra points.

Personally, I enjoy dictating where the enemy is going to fight me
and not the other way around, so I prefer the 4th Mass. By the time you're ready for your counter attack to end the game your enemy is seriously weakened and your forces should be strong enough to attack back. But that's just my two cents. Someone more offensively minded, such as my dad (who can't wait to get his hands on them) will prefer the the 10th.

One thing I've always believed is something I learned in high school sports and I've applied to heroscape: offensive may win games but defense wins championships. So that's why the 4th is my preferred unit.

Last edited by KCU Master 2007; June 17th, 2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM

KevinWC Woo who?

When I first read the card I thought the 10th were vastly superior. At first glance it seems they add 1 to attack when they move, and add 1 if they don't move. Later it occured to me that all the figures had to stay put in order to get the plus one and be adjacent to the enemy for bayonets. So considering this the 10th is a slightly more skilled unit, meaning it takes a bit more skill to play them and coordinate the movement and firing.

Overall I would say that it depends almost totally on your army build. You play as Jandar's Valiant Army, you draft 4th Mass. You play as Einar's Disciplined Army, you draft the 10th Foot.

A KC Heroscaper who is Not in Kansas Anymore...
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:38 PM

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWC View Post
When I first read the card I thought the 10th were vastly superior. At first glance it seems they add 1 to attack when they move, and add 1 if they don't move. Later it occured to me that all the figures had to stay put in order to get the plus one and be adjacent to the enemy for bayonets.
The wait then fire is the same for both units, but the 10th must also move to get their bayonet bonus, not just be adjacent. I realize that just stepping in circles around the opponent still counts as moving so you would get the bonus for the bayonet, but against and enemy such as glads this is easily negated. This can also be negated by tricky terrain.

I do agree with you that the 10th are a unit for more skilled players, but I think their skill set is better on paper than in actual combat. Getting adjacent just for that extra def. die is tricky.

In one on one combat, I think the 4th would win out over the 10th.

Last edited by KCU Master 2007; June 17th, 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: afterthought...again
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM

KevinWC Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
The wait then fire is the same for both units, but the 10th must also move to get their bayonet bonus, not just be adjacent.
I know. I was referring to a quote someone made after first glancing at the 10th's card. They said something to the effect of:

"They move, add one attack die. They don't move, add one attack die."

I didn't mean wait then fire was different, I was just pointing out that the powers on the 10th's army card aren't as easy to use as one would at first think.

A KC Heroscaper who is Not in Kansas Anymore...
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Oh ok, my mistake. Just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

Really though... It's far too early to pass this kind of judgment...
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

The 4th Mass are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Majai of Dreams is surprisingly tart

I prefer the 10th Regiment because they have an increased chance of rolling extra attack die.

I tend to play with a variety of personalities so I never really get a chance to see the valiant army bonus kick in for the 4th Mass.

Make sound effects when you play Heroscape! It is sometimes annoying, but always more fun!
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
The 4th Mass are better.
Seconded. It's true that each unit is better in selected armies, but I think the 4th Mass at their best are better than the 10th Foot at their best. Both are pretty darn good though
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Aubriens smoke em' both . In your face suckers.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion