Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios


View Poll Results: Does this board excite you!
YES! I saw it and couldn't stop thinking of the possibilites! 10 40.00%
Yes! But only in a 2 player game! 8 32.00%
Yes! But only in a game with MORE than 2 players! 1 4.00%
It's OK, but I've seen better. 2 8.00%
No! It's too small. 0 0%
No! It's too big. 3 12.00%
No! It's too cluttered / complex. 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:35 AM
dnutt99's Avatar
dnutt99 dnutt99 is offline
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Location: CA - Oakland
Posts: 1,291
dnutt99 has disabled reputation
dnutt99 - 1st posted Map / Scenario (real pics.)

General overall layout,....
I think it's pretty balanced. All the middle ground is same level for the most part, except for the middle bridge wich is 2 tiles high. Notice where the "territory boundry lines" up to the grass from both ends.


From North end,....
Both bridges, (over the lava and the ice), are 4 tiles high. The terrain surrounding the bridges vary in height, and the terrain calls some for planned manuvering.


From South end,...
Same shot, different side. You can walk to your enemies door for entry or use the bridges. The bridges end on your opponents side and fairly close to the "Ladder Nook" area which allows non-flyers an alternative to using the door.


North Ladder Nook,....
This is a shot leading up to the Ice "Ladder Nook". Personally, the door detours and frustrates me immensely and therefore,.......


North Ladder Nook - Close,....
I usually always allow the castle to be breachable from another point.


South Ladder Nook,....
Leading up to the Nook on the other side.


South Ladder Nook - Close,....
It looks like an easy access point but with the overhang so close, the terrain itself, and the length of the ladder, it should almost be the equivalent of going against the door!


From North Flag,....
The board isn't as big as me and Sexymama have become used to, but then our games do have the tendency to go longer than we woud like, so I've been thinking about scaling them down some anyway. It's still pretty big though.


From South Flag,....
The scenario I thought of when I visualized this board? It was a 2-man : 2-team game --- 1 player defends the castle / territory within the "territory boundry", (see 1st pic. for clear shot) --- The other player makes their way to conquer the others castle / capture the flag / kill castle inhabitants, (I'm totally up for suggestions). Sexymama had said that would be quite boring for the castle defender to have to wait until someone crossed the boundry line or get in range,...I figured the defender would want time to move thier units from the starting point into prime defending positions anyhow and wouldn't mind at all!


I would really appreciate any feedback on this layout & scenario. I'm open to any scenario suggestions for this board. (I doubt I have the umph to rearrange it much at all, if any.) But still, fire those suggesting criticisms away,
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:29 AM
robaula robaula is offline
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant
 
Join Date: June 7, 2006
Location: * United Kingdom - England
Posts: 2,309
robaula has disabled reputation
Very nice, dnutt99. May I ask what sets you needed to construct it? I particularly like the whole ice/lava thing thats going on around the middle section of the board. Looks like it would be great fun to play 2 player. It looks like it is about 16 hexes wide by about 30 hexes long. My boards normally measure about 18 by 30, so looks like the sort of size I would normally play on. Have to post some pics of you playing on it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM
ugly1hornedmule's Avatar
ugly1hornedmule ugly1hornedmule is offline
 
Join Date: July 6, 2006
Location: MA - originate in the great state of M A
Posts: 568
ugly1hornedmule knows what's in an order marker ugly1hornedmule knows what's in an order marker
I like the fire and ice in the middle, I like the castles on the the end also but don't like how they are set up. The postion of the door mkes it seem like it would be unused, especially since there is a ladder that you can get to from outside, I know you said you like the alternate entry point but I would put the door in front and the ladder around back. Also I don't care for the trees on the wall. Beside the castle set-ups I think it looks awsome.

Thanks for the last and greatest betrayal, of the last and greatest of human dreams.
-William S. Burroughs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM
1moreheroscaper's Avatar
1moreheroscaper 1moreheroscaper is offline
 
Join Date: June 2, 2006
Location: CA - Modesto
Posts: 988
Images: 12
1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!
dnutt99,

I like the lava/snow mix in the middle. I have created the mix of all terrains on one map also, but towards the edges of the map I created the regions. I feel that having the snow and lava near the middle, more Lava and Snow guys may be drafted for this map--which is a good thing in my opinion.

I do agree that the ladders as an alternate way into the castle doesn't excite me, but I do appreciate the option. I think the idea of guard towers (which some people have already posted in some of the map pictures) that are separate from the castle (with ladders for the guard towers) is a nice alternate for providing the same height for the attacking army.
My last dislike is the placement of some of the trees, such as on road terrain, and lava fields.

Overall, I like the variety and especially the almost thematic feel of the two sides of the fairly balanced looking map. The map definately captures a Jandar Army vs. Utgar Army feel.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Eclipse's Avatar
Eclipse Eclipse is offline
regurgitation cynic
 
Join Date: July 19, 2006
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 4,103
Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Very cool map, I'd love to know how it plays out. I actually tried to build something similar once, but it proved rather disasterous. The problem was that the most advantagous positions on the map were the starting zones. There was no real incentive to get out and battle in the more dangerous areas, so people just kinda turtled up in their home base and turned the game into a stalemate. You definitely need some glyphs or something to get people out of their shells and onto the battlefield.

Also, just a quick note. The fire castle has a huge advantage defending the alternate ladder. When attacking the ice castle, you can run up the road underneath the overhand (which I love, btw), then sneak around out of sight to the ladder. On the fire side, this can't be done without suffering HLD.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM
allskulls's Avatar
allskulls allskulls is offline
Grindmaster
 
Join Date: May 8, 2006
Location: WA - Renton
Posts: 2,930
allskulls has disabled reputation
Bomb-diggy, dnutt!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
dnutt99's Avatar
dnutt99 dnutt99 is offline
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Location: CA - Oakland
Posts: 1,291
dnutt99 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by robaula
Very nice, dnutt99. May I ask what sets you needed to construct it? I particularly like the whole ice/lava thing thats going on around the middle section of the board. Looks like it would be great fun to play 2 player. It looks like it is about 16 hexes wide by about 30 hexes long. My boards normally measure about 18 by 30, so looks like the sort of size I would normally play on. Have to post some pics of you playing on it!
I have 9 MS, 5 TT, 5 VW, and 7 RTTFF. I basically just pulled from the "stash" as I felt neccesary, but am not sure at all what is required to construct it. I would love to make the schematic using the online-board-design-program thing, but I find it a bit more time consuming than I would like. I think it would break my flow.

The actual size is 16x36 hexes.

That's a certain! Satyr is due at my place on Sunday, so I'm sure to have the lot of it photo-documented.

Thanx a bunch Robaula,... : up:,... I'll be posting probably most boards I make now. Always good to get criticism from fellow scapers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
dnutt99's Avatar
dnutt99 dnutt99 is offline
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Location: CA - Oakland
Posts: 1,291
dnutt99 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly1hornedmule
I like the fire and ice in the middle, I like the castles on the the end also but don't like how they are set up. The postion of the door mkes it seem like it would be unused, especially since there is a ladder that you can get to from outside, I know you said you like the alternate entry point but I would put the door in front and the ladder around back. Also I don't care for the trees on the wall. Beside the castle set-ups I think it looks awsome.
I thought about that afterwards as well. I figured the door would be mainly used to deploy units from within,...but that kinda sucks . The ladder does seem the closest and easiest way to breach the castle, but did you read the caption regarding the ladder? I don't think it will be as easy as it looks. I may change it if I can balance it without doing major castle reconstruction.

The area where the trees are sitting atop the wall walk are fairly unaccesible for most figs. Being a frequent player of Saylind and the AE, I didn't want to make it a total vantage point for sniping action. There are a couple of hexes free for Saylind to summon at least 1 fig. Also with the other wall walks and vantage points, I don't think it will hinder the defender much at all, IMO.

I do appreciate the tips though Ugly1hornedmule. I may change it but probably won't post reconstruction pics,....but will post "in-game" pics, and maybe I will have altered it in some ways.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Eclipse's Avatar
Eclipse Eclipse is offline
regurgitation cynic
 
Join Date: July 19, 2006
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 4,103
Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I didn't like the construction programs at first either, but now that I've gotten used to them, I really appreciate them. Mainly, VirtualScape lets me tear up bad ideas a little quicker and rethink things. It's also great for letting me design the playable levels first, then build the base to support it. It's really nice to be able to design my castle however I want and then build the land that surrounds it seperately.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
dnutt99's Avatar
dnutt99 dnutt99 is offline
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Location: CA - Oakland
Posts: 1,291
dnutt99 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreheroscaper
dnutt99,
I like the lava/snow mix in the middle. I have created the mix of all terrains on one map also, but towards the edges of the map I created the regions. I feel that having the snow and lava near the middle, more Lava and Snow guys may be drafted for this map--which is a good thing in my opinion.

I do agree that the ladders as an alternate way into the castle doesn't excite me, but I do appreciate the option. I think the idea of guard towers (which some people have already posted in some of the map pictures) that are separate from the castle (with ladders for the guard towers) is a nice alternate for providing the same height for the attacking army.
My last dislike is the placement of some of the trees, such as on road terrain, and lava fields.

Overall, I like the variety and especially the almost thematic feel of the two sides of the fairly balanced looking map. The map definately captures a Jandar Army vs. Utgar Army feel.
As I mentioned, (in 2 posts above this one), I don't think it's as easy an entrance as it looks. But with so many similar comments, it is defeinitely worth altering in some way. Maybe even move the exterior wall to force people to walk around it. I think I just might do that!

I don't think the trees on the lava are very hindering. It may actually provide cover in some spots. As for the trees on the wall walks? The area where the trees are sitting atop the wall walk are fairly unaccesible for most figs. Being a frequent player of Saylind and the AE, I didn't want to make it a total vantage point for sniping action. There are a couple of hexes free for Saylind to summon at least 1 fig. Also with the other wall walks and vantage points, I don't think it will hinder the defender much at all, IMO.

Thanx again for your feedback 1moreheroscaper. I will update this post with newere in-game pics probably mid-next week.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM
dnutt99's Avatar
dnutt99 dnutt99 is offline
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Location: CA - Oakland
Posts: 1,291
dnutt99 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Very cool map, I'd love to know how it plays out. I actually tried to build something similar once, but it proved rather disasterous. The problem was that the most advantagous positions on the map were the starting zones. There was no real incentive to get out and battle in the more dangerous areas, so people just kinda turtled up in their home base and turned the game into a stalemate. You definitely need some glyphs or something to get people out of their shells and onto the battlefield.

Also, just a quick note. The fire castle has a huge advantage defending the alternate ladder. When attacking the ice castle, you can run up the road underneath the overhand (which I love, btw), then sneak around out of sight to the ladder. On the fire side, this can't be done without suffering HLD.
I'm not sure if you read the captions and grasped the scenario. I think that would rule out any possibility of a stalemate game. I hope! I do agree that having some glyphs would surely create more action on the field.

WOW,... nice observation. I never took that into account at all. I think I'll rearrange the molten lave and throw some rock terrain over there to balance it out. I can't believe I missed that!

Thanx again Eclipse,... like I've told everyone else. I probably wont post any changes of the pics until game-day so there is a chance that much of what is said here will play a part in final board configuration.

- PS - I do want to eventually begin to build my boards in virtualscape. I can see how much easier thoughts can be changed and created. I just haven't found enough time to really use it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM
dnutt99's Avatar
dnutt99 dnutt99 is offline
 
Join Date: September 7, 2006
Location: CA - Oakland
Posts: 1,291
dnutt99 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by allskulls
Bomb-diggy, dnutt!
Thanx for the comment!

What do you think of the mentioned scenario, or other possible scenarios
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Heroscape background footer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.