Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old August 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Post Battlescape: HS Rules Variant

I hope this is the propoer forum for this. Since I used to be a Battletech player, I present the following rules variant that I’ve dubbed “Battlescape:”

Drafting (optional): If drafting, do so normally, following the rules in the Master Set.

POINT VALUES: Since every unit moves and attacks every turn (no order markers), Battlescape requires slightly larger armies than normal Heroscape. 1,000 points should be standard with more points added as players get a feel for the game (Battletech units are quite sturdy, and last quite a few turns as opposed to Heroscape units which are comparatively much more fragile).

SETUP: Each player chooses a side of the map. You can roll initiative to avoid any disputes (with the highest roller choosing first). This becomes your home map edge and functions as your “start zone.” Don’t place any figures on the board yet, this will take place on the first turn.

MOVEMENT PHASE: Roll initiative as you normally would at the beginning of the turn. The player who rolls highest may choose to go first or defer to the next highest roller (it is generally advantageous to move second so you can better counter your opponent’s moves, since combat happens simultaneously (see Attack Phase below)).

The player who is moving first selects a single squad or hero and moves it. The next player then chooses one of his squads/heroes and moves it. Players continue to alternate until all figures have had the chance to move (like normal, a figure can always choose not to move).

If this is the first turn of the game, each player moves his figures onto the board (alternating as above) counting the first hex entered as the first movement point. All normal terrain rules apply.

Note: If one player has more units than another he must move more figures at a time equal to the ratio of his figures to his opponent’s. Example: If I have twice as many units as my opponent (2:1 ratio) I have to move two units for each one he moves. So if I go first, I would move two units, my opponent would move one, I would move another two, and so on. You must recalculate this ratio at the beginning of each turn as it may change during the course of the game.

First Turn Adjacency Rule: Figures not on the board are not considered adjacent to any other figures that are not on the board. This means that powers that rely on figures being adjacent, will not work when entering the battlefield. Example: Otonashi can’t receive her movement bonus for being adjacent to a tricky figure on the first turn.

First Turn Bonding Rule: Bonding doesn’t work unless the bonded figure has already moved onto the battlefield previously. Example: If I have the MacDirks and Sir Gilbert in my army and I want to use bonding, I would have to move Sir Gilbert onto the board first, then my opponent would move a unit, and then I could move my MacDirks and activate Bonding.

First Turn Road Rule: Since no figures start on the board, no one can get the road movement bonus even if the first hex they enter on is a road hex.

Basically, the above rules follow this simple principle: If a unit isn’t on the board, it doesn’t exist, or have any effect on the game. Once it moves onto the board, it affects the game normally. Appealing to this simple rule should solve any disputes that may arise. So if you have a unit that grants some type of bonus (d20, movement, etc.) you should move that figure onto the board before any of the units that you want it to affect.

ATTACK PHASE: In Battlescape, attacks happen simultaneously. Roll initiative (this is important, see DW 7,000 below). The player that rolls highest may resolve his attacks first or defer to the next player. Each player attacks with each one of his figures that is in position to do so. Figures that are destroyed are not removed from the board but should be marked in some way (either place a wound counter on the figures base or lay it down in the hex where it was destroyed). Now the next player attacks with each of his figures that is able to do so (including any destroyed figures).

When all players have resolved their attacks remove all destroyed figures from the board.

Optional: If both players agree to do so, the attack phase may be conducted in the same manner as the movement phase (alternating attacks). This will slow the game down, though and you will need to remember which figures have attacked and which haven’t.

Note: This will favor some figures, like DW7K because if you already know he’s dead, you may as well use his detonate power, right?

SUBSEQUENT TURNS: Play continues as above. Players may need to mark figures in some way during the Movement Phase to remember which ones have moved and which ones haven’t.

Bonding: When a bonded unit moves and attacks, resolve the move and attack imediately, removing the destroyed figure (it doesn't get to attack back in the attack phase).

Example: I choose to move my MacDirks. Before I move them I can take a turn with Sir Gilbert through bonding. I move Sir Gilbert adjacent to a Blade Grut, attack it and destroy it. That Blade Grut is removed from the board. I then move my MacDirks as normal.

Retreating: Units may exit the board (either willingly or otherwise (Jotun’s throw, for example)). Any unit that exits the board off of any edge other than their Home Edge cannot re-enter the game and is considered destroyed for game purposes (see Scoring, below).

Units exiting off of their Home Edge cannot re-enter the game either but are not counted as destroyed for game purposes.

SCORING: Heroscape’s scoring system should work fairly well with Battlescape with the exception of “kill all figures” scenarios. I propose the following point system for these types of battles:

Each player scores a base 5 points for each destroyed enemy squad figure and 10 (or 15) points for each destroyed enemy hero.
Likewise, each player receives 5 points for each of his own squad figures and 10 (or 15) points for each of his heroes still alive at the end of the scenario (remember figures exiting your Home Edge are not counted as destroyed).

Alternatively, players may simply add up the remaining point totals of their armies and compare the totals.

This makes various levels of victory possible. For example rather than “I killed all your figures, I win.” A player winning by 5 or 10 points would achieve a pyrrhic victory while a player winning by 30 or 50 will have achieved a much more substantial level of victory.

At any rate, all players should agree to the point values at the beginning of the game. Enjoy!

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations

Last edited by The B.I.V.; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Soridir is surprisingly tart
Re: Battlescape: HS Rules variant

Nice scenario, easy to understand

My Custom Terrain and Obstacles
My Scenarios 1
My Scenarios 2
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Battlescape: HS Rules Variant

Interesting Mod ...

Moved to correct Forum.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks, guys. I was hoping I made the rules clear enough. I forgot this one, though:

BONDING: When a bonded unit moves and attacks, resolve the move and attack imediately, removing the destryoed figure (it doesn't get to attack back in the attack phase).

Example: I choose to move my MacDirks. Before I move them I can take a turn with Sir Gilbert through bonding. I move Sir Gilbert adjacent to a Blade Grut, attack it and destroy it. That Blade Grut is removed from the board. I then move my MacDirks as normal.

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

I've revised these rules. Here are the revised rules that, in my opinion, acheive a perfect fusion of both games! Enjoy!

Battlescape: the Future of Warfare!
The rule variant that puts the “Hero” back in Heroscape!

By the B.I.V.

Since I used to be a Battletech player, I present the following rules variant that I’ve dubbed “Battlescape:”

Drafting (optional): If drafting, do so normally, following the rules in the Master Set.

POINT VALUES: Since every unit moves and attacks every turn, Battlescape requires slightly larger armies than normal Heroscape. 1,000 points should be standard with players adding more points as they get a feel for the game (Battletech units are quite sturdy, and last quite a few turns as opposed to Heroscape units which are comparatively much more fragile).

SETUP: Each player chooses a side of the map. You can roll initiative to avoid any disputes (with the highest roller choosing first). This becomes your Home Edge and functions as your “start zone.” Don’t place any figures on the board yet, this will take place on the first turn.

Note: It is easier to choose map edges on maps with clearly defined (less rough) edges. On maps with rougher edges, players should agree before the game on which hexes actually constitute each map “edge.”

ROLL INITIATIVE: Roll initiative as you normally would at the beginning of the turn. The player who rolls highest may choose to go first or defer to the next highest roller (it is sometimes advantageous to move second so you can better counter your opponent’s moves).

PLACE ORDER MARKERS: Players alternate placing order markers (in order of initiative as determined above) until all order markers have been placed. Players may only place order markers on heroes. If a player has less than four heroes he must still place all four order markers. If a player has no heroes, he does not place order markers. These will not affect movement but do affect attacking (See Attack Phase below).

MOVEMENT PHASE
: The player who is moving first selects a single squad or hero and moves it. The next player then chooses one of his squads/heroes and moves it. Players continue to alternate until all figures have had the chance to move (like normal, a figure can always choose not to move). If this is the first turn of the game, each player moves his figures onto the board (alternating as above) counting the first hex entered as the first movement point. All normal terrain rules apply. Any figure that leaves an engagement during movement is subject to all leaving engagement strikes, as normal. If the figure is destroyed, immediately remove it from the board.

Note: If one player has more units than another he must move more figures at a time equal to the ratio of his units to his opponent’s. Example: If I have twice as many units as my opponent (2:1 ratio) I have to move two units for each one he moves. So if I go first, I would move two units, my opponent would move one, I would move another two, and so on. You must recalculate this ratio at the beginning of each turn as it may change during the course of the game.

First Turn Adjacency Rule: Figures not on the board are not considered adjacent to any other figures that are not on the board. This means that powers that rely on figures being adjacent, will not work when entering the battlefield. Example: Otonashi can’t receive her movement bonus for being adjacent to a tricky figure on the first turn.

First Turn Bonding Rule: Bonding doesn’t work unless the bonded figure has already moved onto the battlefield previously. Example: If I have the MacDirks and Sir Gilbert in my army and I want to use bonding, I would have to move Sir Gilbert onto the board first, then my opponent would move a unit, and then I could move my MacDirks and activate Bonding. (Yes, bonded heroes effectively get two moves per turn (one of their own and one with the unit they’re bonded with (but not two attacks (See Attack Phase, below))).

First Turn Road Rule: Since no figures start on the board, no one can get the road movement bonus even if the first hex they enter on is a road hex.Basically, the above rules follow this simple principle: If a unit isn’t on the board, it doesn’t exist, or have any effect on the game. Once it moves onto the board, it affects the game normally. Appealing to this simple rule should solve any disputes that may arise. So if you have a unit that grants some type of bonus (d20, movement, etc.) you should move that figure onto the board before any of the units that you want it to affect.

ATTACK PHASE: Roll initiative (this is important). The player that rolls highest may resolve his attacks first or defer to the next player.

In Battletech, the Battlemech is the undisputed “king of the battlefield” (as opposed to more fragile infantry and vehicles). In Battlescape it is no different. The Battlemechs of Battlescape are the heroes, whereas we can liken squads to infantry and vehicles. Order markers accomplish this. Resolve attacks by marked heroes (in the order indicated by the marker), first (the ‘X’ marker, as in normal ‘scape is a decoy and does not afford an attack). Immediately remove figures destroyed by a marked attacking hero from the field. These figures don’t get to return fire (so to speak). If a marked hero is destroyed by another marked hero in this phase, it is immediately removed from the map and forfeits any order markers on it’s card (as in normal ‘scape).
The remaining attacks happen simultaneously. Each player attacks with each one of his remaining figures (unmarked heroes and squads) that is in position to do so. Do not remove figures that are destroyed from the board but instead, mark them in some way (either place a wound counter on the figure’s base or lay it down in the hex where it died). Now the next player attacks with each of his figures that is able to do so (including any “destroyed” figures).
When all players have resolved their attacks remove all destroyed figures from the board.

Optional: If both players agree to do so, they may conduct the attack phase in the same manner as the movement phase (alternating attacks). This will slow the game down, though, and you will need to remember which figures have attacked and which haven’t.

Note: It may actually be beneficial to move and attack second in some circumstances. Take DW7K. If you already know he’s dead (and he hasn’t been removed), you may as well use his detonate power, right?

SUBSEQUENT TURNS: Play continues as above. Players may need to mark figures in some way during the Movement Phase to remember which ones have moved and which ones haven’t.

Retreating: Units may exit the board (either willingly or otherwise (Jotun’s throw, for example)). Any unit that exits the board off of any edge other than their Home Edge cannot re-enter the game and is considered destroyed for game purposes (see Scoring, below).Units exiting off of their Home Edge cannot re-enter the game either but do not count as destroyed for game purposes.

SCORING: Heroscape’s scoring system should work fairly well with Battlescape with the exception of “kill all figures” scenarios. I propose the following point system for these types of battles:Each player scores a base 5 points for each destroyed enemy squad figure and 10 (or 15) points for each destroyed enemy hero. Likewise, each player receives 5 points for each of his own squad figures and 10 (or 15) points for each of his heroes still alive at the end of the scenario (remember figures exiting your Home Edge are not counted as destroyed). Alternatively, players may simply add up the remaining point totals of their armies and compare the totals.This makes various levels of victory possible. For example rather than “I killed all your figures, I win.” A player winning by 5 or 10 points would achieve a pyrrhic victory while a player winning by 30 or 50 will have achieved a much more substantial level of victory.At any rate, all players should agree to the point values at the beginning of the game. Enjoy!

Brandon

Last edited by The B.I.V.; January 28th, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:58 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

I'm considering adding the rule that if your attack passes through the rear hex of the figure you're attacking, you add +1 to the attack. Battletech was always about maneuvering around to the rear of other mechs so you could get a shot at the weak rear armor. This rule would simulate that.

My question is: Should the +1 be in addition to the +1 for Height or should it just be one or the other?

Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Cool rule set! I'm just now discovering this. As for the rear hex bonus, I guess it depends on your goal. If you want to retain 'Scape-style simplicity as much as possible, make it in addition (one less wrinkle to remember.) If you want to avoid too many attack bonuses, make it same-level.

Questions-

If I position my figure so that his back faces the line between two hexes, does he have two rear hexes or none?

Am I required to position him so there's an obvious rear hex?

If my figure faces sideways, what's his rear hex? The one behind his back or the one opposite the direction he's looking?

Last edited by Mossman; January 3rd, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:20 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

Oh, yeah...hadn't thought of that...Battlemechs stood on actual hex (as opposed to round) bases and so it was fairly obvious which was their rear hex. I see that might be a problem with HS figures.

You should only have one rear hex, and you generally used a string or somesuch from one figure to the other to see if the attack did, indeed pass through the rear hex...sounds like I may have to leave this rule out as it would probably just result in confusion...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions