Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Mech Bay

I got this idea from Ryougabot. This is just a place for all (I know there are several) of us Battletechers (and Ex-Battletechers) to hangout, re-live our glory days and whatever else.

I loved Battletech. Sure, it was a big clunky game system (as far as game systems go) but man, was it fun! The back story was friggin' amazing and I hafta say, that's what really kept me playing and collecting (and painting, and painting and painting).

I had everything at one time or another. The original Star League Sourcebook, the Sword and the Dagger Novel, all of the old scenario packs, the Battledroid minis (minus the Behemoth/MAC Monster)...ah, yes...good stuff. My goal (and I was nearly there), was to have enough minis (including multiples) to play any of the official printed scenarios.

I actually really got into making my own terrain and playing minis rules. That was where the real fun was (forget the flat hex maps( although I did own all 3 (or 4) sets of them).

Well, it's all gone, now. I sold it off peicemeal on Ebay a few years back. I was just getting too involved in it (with the time (and space) spent painting and the pricey minis). It just wasn't compatible with a wife and child with one on the way. Plus I was out of work for a while so I needed the $$. But, hey, it was fun while it lasted. The two remnants of my Battletech collection have become Omnicron customs.

I must say, Heroscape is a refreshing alternative. No painting, cheap minis, simple rules...what nmore could I ask for? Funny, too, but when I started 'scape, I really thought I'd be into all the robots (soulborgs). Turns out they're not my most favorite units (at least, I don't favor them over any of the other units in the game)...but there will always be a little Battletecher inside me as evidenced by my Battlescape rules variant.

But enough about me. Let's hear from the rest of you!

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations

Last edited by The B.I.V.; January 29th, 2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Changed thread title
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Battletechers, stand up and be counted!

I just got into Battletech via Catalyst's Introductory Box Set. I bought the first set of Technical Readouts, a bunch more 'mechs, and I can't wait to expand even more.
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Blazemane has disabled reputation

I, being the 8th child in my family, kinda' missed Battletech while it was big with my older brothers and the neighbors. So, I only got to play like... two games.

I just remember thinking it was really complicated (but then, I was younger). However, it was my first board based strategy game.

Where my heart really lied was with the Battletech card game. That was good.

Oh, and as a question, are there really any other board games which require you to write down the damage taken to your figures (and the specific parts of those characters)? This game was involved.

Look, I'm sorry, but if you don't have the commom sense to be afraid of the Marro Warriors, someone's gonna have to teach you a lesson in humility, and it's probably going to be them who do it.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Simply put, I love Battletech. I love the universe (and have read all the books up until the Dark Ages), I love the system, I love mech design. Right now I'm enjoying playing Classic rules using WizKids mechs on HS terrain (different colored hexes for light and heavy woods). Still trying to get a feel for the Solaris VII ruleset (which might be fun on HS terrain as well).

My biggest worry at the moment is that I want to go drop a couple hundred on all the new source books. Obsession=BAD! Still, I'm dying to find someone LOCAL to play against.

I never got into Aerospace and only lightly trod the RPG grounds, but I do have several hundred (or thousand?) cards from the card game. Battletech falls into the same category as Heroscape, LNOE, Up Front and Formula De as games I'd play anywhere, anytime.

~Aldin, trying to find the stats of the old Locust

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
trying to find the stats of the old Locust
2 MGs, with one ton of ammo, Medium laser, 10 standard HSs, moved 8/12. Can't remember the armor placement off the top of my head, though...

Yeah, I wasn’t much into Aerotech either. I mean, who wants to play with spaceships when there are all these cool shiny war machines walking around on the ground?!! Same with Mechwarrior. I was kinda over role-playing when I got into Battletech so that didn’t interest me, either.

If you’re playing Battletech on ‘scape hexes, keep in mind the scale. A guy I knew who used to play on Geo hex, demonstrated to me, once, that the mech minis were way out of scale with that. He pulled out a tiny figure (that stood about as high as a HS hex tile, or as big as a BT infantryman) and told me that that’s how high a Battlemech stood. So you’ll need a lot of ‘scape to build to that scale (but it certainly can be done).

I forgot, too, my username on Classicbattletech.com was Blitzkrieg (in case anyone cares).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazemane View Post

Oh, and as a question, are there really any other board games which require you to write down the damage taken to your figures (and the specific parts of those characters)? This game was involved.
I think Heavy Gear did. It was another mech game that came out about 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure it was more streamlined than battletech, though. And of course, there's always WH40K....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro
I just got into Battletech via Catalyst's Introductory Box Set. I bought the first set of Technical Readouts, a bunch more 'mechs, and I can't wait to expand even more.
Good luck with that, 'bistro. People here talk about HS addiction, but that's nothing compared to Battletech addiction (at least in my experience). I mean, a single unit costs nearly as much as a single blister of 'scape. Sure, the plastic's cheaper, but sooner or later you'll be into the metal and then it's all over!

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Were all the weapons forward mounted on that Locust? When I played as a youngster I never truly grokked how valuable speed can be defensively. The ability to toss a +3 on your opponent at a cost of a +1 for yourself is massive!

~Aldin, who should mention he has a Raven mini on his desk in front of his monitor

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The MGs were arm-mounted (with hand lower arm actuators removed) The ML was in the CT.

Also, I forgot to mention my affiliations: Federated Commonwealth (Davion), Clan Ghost Bear and Clan Hell's Horses. What're yours?

Here's a Behemoth I painted:

Brandon

Old January 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Blazemane has disabled reputation

Clan Smoke Jaguar. I was obsessed with jet propelled explosive munitions. What can I say?

Oh, and because this must be said, the Koshi rules all!

Look, I'm sorry, but if you don't have the commom sense to be afraid of the Marro Warriors, someone's gonna have to teach you a lesson in humility, and it's probably going to be them who do it.
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

Cool. The Jags were a little too dirty rotten and evil for my taste. 'Course they couldn't help it, they were written that way. The Behemoth above is painted in my standard Jag colors. I have a pic of a Koshi painted that way, too. I'll hafta find it one of these days...

Brandon

Old January 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Grey Death Legion
House Steiner
FedCom
Clan Wolf

~Aldin, who also toyed with House Marik and the Kell Hounds

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

House Liao Here. Sadly all my stuff is gone, except for some sourcebooks I foound in a recycling bin which had to be rescued.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!

Oh dear, I probably shouldn't say this but... I don't follow the fluff. All my 'mechs are painted in random schemes.

I... I am ashamed.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online