Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs
Official Rules and FAQs Compilation and discussion of AotP Rules and Frequently Asked Questions.

Old August 17th, 2015, 02:51 PM

SantelliC0 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: AotP Question Dump

So am I correct in thinking Liliana can one-shot figures on her turn by attacking doing one wound and then using Snuff Out after?
Old August 17th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Squad creatures, yes.

Also, if you're asking questions about a specific card, please ask it in that card's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 17th, 2015, 02:58 PM

SantelliC0 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

yes I meant creatures I know it doesnt work on Planeswalkers thank you seems like she's very good I've only gotten to play 1 game so far though
Old August 17th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtato View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't say specifically in the rules (because its not a good game and someone tacked a bunch of spell rules onto a simplified HS system)

C'mon, that's not fair. There were just as many questions relating to obscure wording a decade ago when HeroScape first debuted...so what of a few very situational wording issues were overlooked, or not anticipated at all. A game can only be playtested but so thoroughly...
Yeah, it is. This game feels like a badly done custom. There are more holes in the rules than HS. See my question about the poor wording on the Restless Zombies for an example.
That's not a hole in the rules; that's clearly stated that you only roll at the start of your black Planeswalker's turn. A hole in the rules would be Taelord and his Stealth Flying. They didn't include the tidbit about leaving engagement attacks when flying to reflect that he had stealth flying, and everybody overlooked it and wondered why he cost so much.

What is a black planeswalker's turn? The rules only talk about players having turns, except one passing reference that does not seem definitive. And in the passage above it it says "You can only use Liliana's Snuff out ability on a turn in which you choose Liliana." Which supports players having turns, not units, and could easily be "You can only use Liliana's Snuff Out ability on Liliana's turn." if planeswalkers had clearly explained turns.
Old August 17th, 2015, 05:06 PM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't say specifically in the rules (because its not a good game and someone tacked a bunch of spell rules onto a simplified HS system)

C'mon, that's not fair. There were just as many questions relating to obscure wording a decade ago when HeroScape first debuted...so what of a few very situational wording issues were overlooked, or not anticipated at all. A game can only be playtested but so thoroughly...
Yeah, it is. This game feels like a badly done custom. There are more holes in the rules than HS. See my question about the poor wording on the Restless Zombies for an example.
That's not a hole in the rules; that's clearly stated that you only roll at the start of your black Planeswalker's turn. A hole in the rules would be Taelord and his Stealth Flying. They didn't include the tidbit about leaving engagement attacks when flying to reflect that he had stealth flying, and everybody overlooked it and wondered why he cost so much.

What is a black planeswalker's turn? The rules only talk about players having turns, except one passing reference that does not seem definitive. And in the passage above it it says "You can only use Liliana's Snuff out ability on a turn in which you choose Liliana." Which supports players having turns, not units, and could easily be "You can only use Liliana's Snuff Out ability on Liliana's turn." if planeswalkers had clearly explained turns.

A black Planeswalker's turn is a turn on which the player chooses a black Planeswalker to be the active unit.

It's not a hole, it's a rule left up to common sense. Bear in mind, this game is targeted at 10-year olds. The rules can only be but so specific before a 10-year old loses interest. That's what we as a community are here for.

If I could have had any influence on the ruling and wording, the turns would be structured similarly to in the TCG: Draw, Activate an army card, main phase 1 (cast spells, and if a Planeswalker was activated, summon creatures), move, attack, main phase 2 (see main phase 1), end phase. Instead of simply attacking, the attack phase would be declared, at which point, hidden enchantments that say "when a figure in enchanted squad is attacked" would be flipped and resolved, thereby eliminating the trouble in whether the attacker still gets their bonuses, and the cards would have a more careful wording. For example, the zombies in question should be worded "At the beginning of a turn on which a black Planeswalker is activated..." instead of "at the beginning of a black Planeswalker's turn..."

But then, it'd be almost like someone tacked some HeroScape rules to Magic: the Gathering.
Old August 17th, 2015, 05:10 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Action 2 of a turn is "Choose and army card," (pp. 6, rule book). On the following page (7) under "Planeswalker Rules," it states "Before action 3 of your Planwalker's turn." I assume that once you choose an army card, that army card's turn starts.
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
It's not a hole, it's a rule left up to common sense. Bear in mind, this game is targeted at 10-year olds. The rules can only be but so specific before a 10-year old loses interest. That's what we as a community are here for.
The community is not here to do their job for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
Action 2 of a turn is "Choose and army card," (pp. 6, rule book). On the following page (7) under "Planeswalker Rules," it states "Before action 3 of your Planwalker's turn." I assume that once you choose an army card, that army card's turn starts.
You shouldn't have to make assumptions about rules, they should be explained.

It just shows that they look at this as a casual game like Operation or Mousetrap, and not a serious hobby game like Magic. HS wasn't treated like a serious game either, and it did alright. But I predict this game will fizzle out and we will be seeing stacks of it on discount next year. Expansions may save it but the initial launch has been lackluster and must have been expensive. We will have a better idea around the holidays and it will be interesting to see if retailers sell out and restock.
Old August 17th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I just wanted to remind everyone this is a thread for questions about the rules, not complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:49 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Okay so I reached out to Hasbro regarding this issue:
Customer By CSS Web (gamjuven) (08/15/2015 09:58 AM)
Hello, I was wondering if you could clarify this issue. I was wondering if you can summon the Blazing Firecats, play an enchantment on them, and THEN resolve your haste attack with one of the firecats? The wording on the card is saying you may immediately attack with one of your firecats so I'm not sure. The rulebook doesn't really go into stacking or timing like the card game does. You can both summon units and play spells before phase 3 so I don't really know what it should technically be. Thanks!

This was the response:
"Hi gamjuven,

Thank you for contacting Hasbro, Inc.

I am pleased to reply but regret to advise that the information you have requested is not readily available in regards to the Arena of the Planeswalker Game.

I am sharing your question with those internal parties who are more familiar with this piece of our business. I will respond to you, as soon as I receive the information from them.

gamjuven, thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards"

Well I thought you guys made it pretty obvious but now I'm not so sure, lol. I guess we'll see what the ruling is.
Old August 18th, 2015, 11:36 AM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

I just received a similar response in regards to my question about Dual Casting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike

Hi Bradley,

Thank you for contacting Hasbro, Inc.

I am sharing your question with those internal parties who are more familiar with the Magic: Arena of the Planeswalker. I will respond to you, as soon as I receive the information from them.

Bradley, thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards
Old August 18th, 2015, 12:22 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

I take those responses to mean that they are forwarding those questions to people who understand the game, instead of being answered by your average customer service phone monkey.

Which, is a very good thing.
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:56 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post
I take those responses to mean that they are forwarding those questions to people who understand the game, instead of being answered by your average customer service phone monkey.

Which, is a very good thing.
Having asked many question regarding MTG, I can confirm these are should actually be sent to the proper people within WotC offices. While response times tend to vary, I've always gotten the answer I was looking for, if not the one I wanted.

We should start a sticked FAQ thread when these answers start rolling in.

Edit: My bad, I see that we have one. Just make sure we get them posted!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs