Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Boot Camp of Valhalla Head Quarter.

The goal of the project is laudable and I do not think you should so quickly contemplate abandoning it. Without direction, though, each design suffers from the distinct possibility of being compromised to death, and managed by those who talk the loudest or the most.

And direction comes from leadership and structure.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 9th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with what Dad_Scaper says... this is the first time I've been around for a project, basically the Kobolds and the Unicorn. Everytime something happens is because a select rotation of people are on for a day or two in a row and they all agree on something. However, a couple of days later another rotation of people get on that don't agree and they post differing opinions and it sets things back.

That's not a bad thing, it is community design, but it does make a lot of back and forth happen. I think it would be interesting if there was a least some sort of leadership to the project that took all the feedback and tried to make it compute to something.
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:13 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
While there are many issues with group design like this, I think that it is important to keep in mind what the project is in the first place. It was made as a way for the community to design something to go through SoV together, and while it may be more efficient to instead do it with a small elected group, restricting who can participate and how too much will run counter to this original goal.
Everyone should be able to participate, but at some point you need to decide on a vision and go with it. At that point, design by crowd becomes a big issue.

(Just as critical is the ability to cut bait and move on when an idea is not panning out; hence my "start fresh with a new vision if the idea did not make it past initial votes" suggestion.)
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:40 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
While there are many issues with group design like this, I think that it is important to keep in mind what the project is in the first place. It was made as a way for the community to design something to go through SoV together, and while it may be more efficient to instead do it with a small elected group, restricting who can participate and how too much will run counter to this original goal.
Everyone should be able to participate, but at some point you need to decide on a vision and go with it. At that point, design by crowd becomes a big issue.

(Just as critical is the ability to cut bait and move on when an idea is not panning out; hence my "start fresh with a new vision if the idea did not make it past initial votes" suggestion.)
That's kinda what we did, dok. We worked on the vision, playtested them, tried again with buffs like Avenge the Master, and did a little more. The vision never shifted that much with the Devotion idea. Now that it failed the process that is the VC we need another vision. I don't think the super pesk idea will ever work out in this way unless we make a considerable boost or drop the kobolds below 10 points a figure.

Even the 10 points per figure units have something they can actually play (and are usually offensive minded).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; January 9th, 2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Too strong, too weak, we'll find an in between. A year, maybe 3, the Kobolds will see the SoV. *singsongingly*
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:00 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
That's kinda what we did, dok. We worked on the vision, playtested them, tried again with buffs like Avenge the Master, and did a little more. The vision never shifted that much with the Devotion idea.
Avenge was a significant departure.

Quote:
Now that it failed the process that is the VC we need another vision.
Yes. Yes you do. The group appears to be having great difficulty as a project in admitting this and moving towards it, and this is because of the nature of the process.

Quote:
I don't think the super pesky idea will ever work out in this way unless we make a considerable boost or drop the kobolds below 10 points a figure.
I didn't think that particular design needed to be the final version. You seem to be presenting a false dichotomy between taking that design as written, or sticking with the odd half-synergy with a grab bag of heroes. There are many possible designs that play up their small size.
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
They look like freaky rats to me anyways. :P

I can deal with not having the devotion power. I can even live with another swarm squad (which, in a strange twist of fate) was what I was expecting to see when I started taking part again).

I'm not a huge theme guy, so maybe that'd be why I don't see why Avenge was a big change in theme.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

With Design by Committee, you're always going end up chasing rabbit holes, and meandering, and dealing with different visions, and working at compromising. Some people here seem to think that that's a BAD thing, but it's not "bad", it's just different. It may be inefficient, but, again, that's not a "bad" thing, it's just different. Lots of ideas get expressed. People come and talk (and socialize). Hopefully you get a good product at the end--if not, you modify, or scrap all or part of the design, and keep going.

If people want a structured, more focused (and selective), design group, they can join VC.

Or they can get a few people on here and start a more strict, structured, select group. Nothing is stopping people from making their own Pre-SOV boot camp group, making strict rules, and trying to come up with their own designs using a much smaller and focused group of designers.

If this group doesn't mind taking the long way around (in order to keep it a community effort), that's up to them. It's hard to kill your darlings, but, given time for acceptance and grieving, most will be willing to move on.
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

No. It's bad. It's not the long way around to the same space, it's the long way around to a casserole into which too many chefs have thrown their favorite ingredient.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I think there is a song about that.
"Too many cooks, too many cooks."

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; January 10th, 2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: cooks not chefs
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So, what's the plan then? =)

I'd have no problem being an assistant chef or just a bystander mumbling about spices and seasonings ^^
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:04 PM

In case it wasn't clear, my suggestion (or, my interpretation of kevindola's suggestion) was not that the same small core of people should be in charge of every design. It was that, after some initial brainstorming period, you pick one vision, throw a few people together who share that vision, and let them lead the design through its development and submission. Who those few people are could change for each design, and probably should for a project of this nature.
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
No. It's bad. It's not the long way around to the same space, it's the long way around to a casserole into which too many chefs have thrown their favorite ingredient.
That's not what is happening here at all.

What your post suggests is that they are using THIS guideline for the project:
1) We, as a group, decide to make a casserole (kobolds).
2) Each person adds their favorite ingredient (posts a stat or ability they'd like to see on the card).
3) The ingredients get mixed together to make the casserole (the stats/abilities posted get added to the final card and voila!, we have a card for the kobolds).

That is far, far from what they are doing.

What they have, rather, is a group of chefs voting on which ingredients should be in the casserole. It's completely different from what you suggested is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
In case it wasn't clear, my suggestion (or, my interpretation of kevindola's suggestion) was not that the same small core of people should be in charge of every design. It was that, after some initial brainstorming period, you pick one vision, throw a few people together who share that vision, and let them lead the design through its development and submission. Who those few people are could change for each design, and probably should for a project of this nature.
As I said, that's a different direction from their original vision (a community design). And there's nothing stopping someone from starting a new project with exactly those guidelines. It would probably work faster and be more efficient.

But "should" is a loaded term implying that the other way is better. There are reasons to stay a community design that would be lost with that method.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards