Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 11th, 2023, 02:39 PM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Help With Wurdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
P.S,: I gave Captain Xuè's flintlock pistols a Range of 4. In general, what would the proper range be for flintlock pistols?
Looking at the Age of Annihilation cards for reference, both the Exiles of the Sundered Sea and Fia Bonny have a range of 5 for Black Powder Pistols, and Killian Vane III has a range of 4 for his Blunderbuss Special Attack.

Old August 11th, 2023, 03:34 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post
Quote:
P.S,: I gave Captain Xuè's flintlock pistols a Range of 4. In general, what would the proper range be for flintlock pistols?
Looking at the Age of Annihilation cards for reference, both the Exiles of the Sundered Sea and Fia Bonny have a range of 5 for Black Powder Pistols, and Killian Vane III has a range of 4 for his Blunderbuss Special Attack.

Thanks for that! Black Powder sounds like the way to go.

Old August 12th, 2023, 10:18 AM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

This latest design, like Kha, is simple and elegant, and will be the next to be tested. Are the wurdz OK?

La Nubarrón
General: Einar
Human, Unique Hero, Pirate, Reckless, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 6, Range 1, Attack 3, Defense 3

Destreza Special Attack
Range 1, Attack 3
When La Nubarrón attacks an adjacent figure and the number of skulls rolled is exactly equal to the number of shields rolled by the defending figure, the defending figure receives a wound.

Destreza Riposte
When La Nubarró is attacked by an adjacent figure and the number of shields rolled is exactly equal to the number of skulls rolled by the attacking figure, the attacking figure receives a wound.

Disengage
La Nubarrón is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

Lots of these minis are available (33 at RPG Locker alone).

Last edited by kolakoski; August 12th, 2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old August 13th, 2023, 07:54 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:

NAME = PAIGE MURDOCK
GENERAL = VYDAR
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = AGENT
PERSONALITY = TRICKY
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

5 LIFE
6 MOVE
7 RANGE
3 ATTACK
3 DEFENSE
??? POINTS

Double Attack
When Paige Murdock attacks, she may attack one additional time.

Undercover
Paige Murdock may not be targeted for any attack, including engagement attacks, or for any Special Power, by an opponent's figure, until after she has attacked an opponent's figure.

Need Help With Wurdz for Undercover.

I've already suggested adding Disengage, to take care of the "may not be targed" with "engagement attacks" problem, insofar as there is no actual "targeting" going on with engagement attacks.

I don't think there's any salvaging this mechanic for the purposes of the SoV. Partly, it's the invincibility, but also partly it's just the complications from what you're trying to do.

UNDERCOVER
Paige Murdock may not be targeted for any normal or special attack until after she has attacked an opponent's figure.

I left special powers off the list. That makes it too weird both mechanically and thematically, because many special powers (Acid Breath; Flail Hurricane, etc.) permit or even require rolling against friendlies. So they could or must be targeting her anyway with those special powers.

Add Disengage and done. Taken together, this is not my endorsement for this as a suitable candidate for the SoV. That's not the purpose of this thread. I just want to work with people to clean up language to something that they like for their own designs.

I'm not answering other questions in this post. I'll take your questions one at a time, please.

That said, "Blunt Force Trauma" is an awful name for a power. It does not evoke fantasy combat. It evokes a medical examiner's testimony about the manner of death. Yuck.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 13th, 2023, 09:09 PM

Well met!

My bad! You meant I should post questions one at a time. OK.

DESTREZA
When La Nubarrón attacks an adjacent figure and the number of skulls rolled is exactly equal to the number of shields rolled by the defending figure, add one skull to your roll. When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, if the number of shields rolled is exactly one less than the number of skulls rolled by the attacking figure, add one shield to your roll.

Last edited by kolakoski; August 15th, 2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old August 15th, 2023, 08:15 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hmm. I know this isn't a workshopping thread, but what do those mechanics have to do with superior fencing technique? I'm not seeing it. Very fiddly calculations without a thematic reason for doing so.

Are you sure?

= =
Old August 15th, 2023, 09:20 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Hmm. I know this isn't a workshopping thread, but what do those mechanics have to do with superior fencing technique? I'm not seeing it. Very fiddly calculations without a thematic reason for doing so.

Are you sure?
Dual wielding improves both offense and defense, which this Special Power does. To me it's very thematic. To some, those "fiddly calculations" are intriguing - and unique. They're looking forward to seeing how La Nubarrón plays.

Otherwise, you're telling me the wurdz are OK?

Last edited by kolakoski; August 15th, 2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old August 15th, 2023, 10:14 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

I think it's clear enough.

It does produce an odd thematic interaction in which you get to deal damage even when you don't roll any skulls, which I am sure would be frustrating for the defending player. But that is the design you want, and beyond the purpose of this thread.

= =
Old August 15th, 2023, 10:53 PM

Well met!
Quote:
I think it's clear enough.

It does produce an odd thematic interaction in which you get to deal damage even when you don't roll any skulls, which I am sure would be frustrating for the defending player. But that is the design you want, and beyond the purpose of this thread.
No more frustrating than any other power or attack that positively enhanced an attack beyond normal.

From a friend: "La Nubarron looks really intriguing! I really love the idea of special powers that work when she and her opponent roll equal skull and shields; it's an interesting design space that basically hasn't been explored at all, and a figure that leans into that would be at the very least intriguing to play around with."

This was about the previous incarnation where equal rolls of skulls/shields did not affect the roll, but inflicted one wound in case of equality. I recently decided that it didn't quite fit my theme. It's a subtle difference, but a real one. It's undoubtedly purely subjective on my part. Anyways, I have a gut feeling La Nubarron will be very fun to play, and an asset to the game. I think a lot more folks will like her than not. She's simple, elegant, and unique, and I'm quite proud of her. We'll see what happens after the test when it'll be clear she plays as delightfully as I expect, and I post her in the Pre-SoV Workshop.

Old August 15th, 2023, 11:03 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Ah, the pre-SoV thread, again.

In that case, there may also be an issue with forcing a defender to roll defense dice when you've rolled no skulls. As I recall, rolling defense dice at that point is optional (see Izumi Samurai), but it might not be mandatory. What if the defender rolls no dice? Does a defender have to? I confess I don't remember, but the answer might matter to this design.

= =
Old August 16th, 2023, 10:03 AM

Well met!

Quote:
Ah, the pre-SoV thread, again.

In that case, there may also be an issue with forcing a defender to roll defense dice when you've rolled no skulls. As I recall, rolling defense dice at that point is optional (see Izumi Samurai), but it might not be mandatory. What if the defender rolls no dice? Does a defender have to? I confess I don't remember, but the answer might matter to this design.
Don't you like SoV?

I don't see anything like you describe in Izumi Samurai Book. If this is a real issue, I'm sure the friendly folks at SoV will advise a solution.

P.S.: If you think this is "fiddly," wait until you see the variation on a theme where our hero removes a wound marker, Energy Transfer perhaps?

Old August 16th, 2023, 10:17 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I love the SoV, Kolakoski. It just makes it a somewhat different review, from my perspective.

As you say, and as I have said, the challenges you may encounter there are different from what I am attempting to address.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards