Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
New map: Spineback Ridge. 1 MS + 1 FA
Highlights
Symmetrical layout
Small footprint (15"x34")
24-hex starting zones
Glyphs
none
Special Rules
Double-space figures may move through the spine.

I am pretty excited about this map, mostly because I was able to build exactly what I envisioned. I wanted to shorten the castle wall pieces, to reduce the advantage they provide to figures standing on top. On this map, the castle wall pieces protrude from a hill, such that figures of height 7 or more can engage from the ground. The terrain rises as high as level 8 at the sides, meaning even figures of height 5 can engage from the ground in certain spots.

This map is by far my smallest, but the hill acts as a LOS-blocker between the two starting zones; without synergies, a first-turn attack is almost impossible. The map is basically a king-of-the-hill scenario, but the peaks with battlements serve as decent perches away from the center while also providing some protection for the starting zones.

My map display post is starting to get a bit crowded (and I still have a couple more maps to add), so I'm going to start removing the less popular maps. If this map (or any other) falls short in appearance or gameplay, please let me know. Contributions from others - particularly UPC and LongHeroscaper - have been very helpful, but I still have plenty of room for improvement.

Last edited by GameBear; April 13th, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old October 16th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hi GameBear. I just found this thread linked from another one and I must say I'm very impressed with Embattled Fen.

For a 1 MS, 1 Castle map, it looks great.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I like that map as well. I'll try it out next week. If you were going to add another starting hex, where would you put it? In the swamp water near the starting zone? In that line that extends to the edge of the map? Or perhaps on the castlewalk/road hex next to the other two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
I like that map as well. I'll try it out next week. If you were going to add another starting hex, where would you put it? In the swamp water near the starting zone? In that line that extends to the edge of the map? Or perhaps on the castlewalk/road hex next to the other two?
I'd add finish the unfinished line the starting zone makes. The Starting Zone looks better that way to me.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
If you were going to add another starting hex, where would you put it? In the swamp water near the starting zone? In that line that extends to the edge of the map? Or perhaps on the castlewalk/road hex next to the other two?
I agree with Bloody: if you want 24 hexes on Embattled Fen, add the hex that completes the front line of the starting zone. I left that hex off due to its proximity to the lower road; however, upon review I don't really see any problems arising from the closer starting position. Plus, as Bloody pointed out, that hex is the best aesthetic choice.

I dislike the idea of adding a 3rd road space, which would encourage the placement of squads on those spaces. The swamp water space is placed to allow tunnelling; if players want to prevent tunnel attacks on the starting zone, I would prefer that they move onto that spot (as opposed to placing a figure there at the start).
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM

robopesant has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Hi GameBear. I just found this thread linked from another one and I must say I'm very impressed with Embattled Fen.

Ditto this one is my favorite!

ROTV-(2x land) 1SOTM 2RTTFF 1VW 1Tundra 1FOTA All expansion packs up to wave 6 (getting wave 7 soon).
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM

robopesant has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne

Ditto this one is my favorite!

ROTV-(2x land) 1SOTM 2RTTFF 1VW 1Tundra 1FOTA All expansion packs up to wave 6 (getting wave 7 soon).
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM

elf326 is surprisingly tart
Hey Gamebear, I'm probably going to use that swamp map on Ational HS Day, just except I'll be adding another starting hex to make it 24. This map looks very competitive.
Old October 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf326
Hey Gamebear, I'm probably going to use that swamp map on Ational HS Day, just except I'll be adding another starting hex to make it 24. This map looks very competitive.
No need to add another hex. You can just add another starting space to make a line.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf326
No need to add another hex. You can just add another starting space to make a line.
That's what I mean.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM
The Silent Cartographer

Thanks to everyone for all the interest/input. I'm just hoping Embattled Fen proves to be worthy of the praise. For those of you using Embattled Fen this weekend, please report back on whether the map is actually any fun to play.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Gamebear, on emabattled fen, how do you hink a glyph on the rocks would affect the game?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios