Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 6th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Grishnakh Art, Games, Conventions, and other Ramblings…

I’ve made a decision. For the past 11 years I’ve enjoyed being a member of this community and posting whatever my creative geek mind came up with in regards to HeroScape. I’ve also kept my past involvement with the gaming industry pretty much to myself. Here, on this site, I really just wanted to be another gamer who had a passion for HeroScape; along with HeroQuest, BattleMasters, and other similar games. Besides, I was always a gamer first, a gaming artist second.

But I’ve finally decided to be a bit more open about things. Well, mostly. We’ll see how far I go with this.

Anyway, I’m going to use this thread as a place to post a variety of material concentrating on my past and current career, my gaming, and whatever geeky thing comes to mind.

Here's a link to my (horribly outdated) web site that shows a selection of my art. Newer, digital stuff is on top of the page. Scroll down a bit for a sampling of my older D&D work.

http://www.davidomiller.com/illustration.html

Last edited by Grishnakh; September 6th, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Re: Grishnakh Art, Games, Conventions, and other Ramblings…

First up is my most recent painting. I did this as a freebie, just for the heck of it. Besides, I’ll be an industry guest (gaming artist) at this convention and I was looking for something fun to paint.

Some history: Back in April TotalCon (a North East regional gaming convention that I’ve attended for the past few years) contacted me about doing the logo for their next convention. The theme for the con is “Pirates” and since I was looking for a new project I jumped at the opportunity. Beside, drawing pirates?! Awesome.

The design: As for the look I wanted a serious looking pirate front and center. He’s rolling “magical, treasure dice” which are made of gold and always rolls 20s! Letting the dice “glow” gave me the dramatic lighting I wanted as well.

For the skeleton I wanted to add some humor to the piece, so he’s a bit goofy looking. And I wanted to keep the female pirate a bit more normal looking to balance that out. The convention’s mascot is a St. Bernard so they needed that to be included. Making him a puppy added in a “cute” factor. Several other pirate clichés later, like an eyepatch, a hooked hand, big hats, jewelry, etc. and it’s finished.

All in all a really fun piece to paint. Thanks goes out to TotalCon for giving me total creative license in creating it!

TotalCon runs February 22 to 25, 2018 and it’s at the Best Western Royal Plaza Marlborough, MA. It’s New England's Largest Game Convention and, in my humble opinion, one of the best! I’ll be there of course, along with Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Mike Pondsmith and many more industry insiders as guests, along with tons of great gaming.

Besides, it’s run by some of the nicest people in gaming. Personally, I’m planning on running a large scale, superhero game on my CityScape using my custom figures. Perhaps a HeroScape Star Wars scenario, as well as a possible custom HeroQuest and custom Advanced BattleMasters game. Gotta figure out what my schedule will be soon.

“A Gamers Life for Me.” - Digital - ©2017 David O. Miller
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Titleless

Here's a (woefully incomplete) listing of some of the things I worked on:

Roleplaying Game Credits:
Player’s Option: Spells & Magic (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1996) TSR, Inc.
AD&D Dungeon Master Guide, 2nd Ed. Revised (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1995) TSR,
Inc.
AD&D Player’s Handbook, 2nd Ed. Revised (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1995) TSR, Inc.
Castle Sites (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1995) TSR, Inc.
Faeries (Ars Magica) (1995) Wizards of the Coast - Cover Artist
Glantri: Kingdom of Magic (Mystara) (1995) TSR, Inc.
Joshuan’s Almanac & Book of Facts (Mystara) (1995) TSR, Inc.
Rolemaster Standard Rules (1995) Iron Crown Enterprises
Spell Law, 3rd Ed. (Rolemaster) (1995) Iron Crown Enterprises
City Sites (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1994) TSR, Inc.
Astromundi Cluster, The (Spelljammer) (1993) TSR, Inc. - Cover Artist
Astromundi Cluster, The (Spelljammer) (1993) TSR, Inc. - Interior Artist
Black Flames (Dark Sun) (1993) TSR, Inc.
Krynnspace (Spelljammer) (1993) TSR, Inc. - Cover Artist
Krynnspace (Spelljammer) (1993) TSR, Inc. - Interior Artist
Space Lairs (Spelljammer) (1993) TSR, Inc. - Cover Artist
Space Lairs (Spelljammer) (1993) TSR, Inc. - Interior Artist
Wizard’s Grimoire, The (Ars Magica) (1993) White Wolf
Ars Magica, Third Ed. (1992) - Cover Artist
Ars Magica, Third Ed. (1992) White Wolf - Interior Artist
Complete Spacefarer’s Handbook, The (Spelljammer) (1992) TSR, Inc.
Dune Trader (Dark Sun) (1992) TSR, Inc.
Greyspace (Spelljammer) (1992) TSR, Inc.
Heart of the Enemy (Spelljammer) (1992) TSR, Inc.
Mistridge (Ars Magica) (1992) White Wolf - Cover Artist
Mythus (Dangerous Journeys) (1992) Game Designers Workshop
Mythus Magick (Dangerous Journeys) (1992) Game Designers Workshop
Rock of Bral (Spelljammer) (1992) TSR, Inc.
A Winter’s Tale (Ars Magica) (1991) White Wolf
Citybook V - Sideshow (Catalyst) (1991) Flying Buffalo
Orrorsh (Torg) (1991) West End Games
Succubus Club, The (Vampire: The Masquerade) (1991) White Wolf

Magazine Cover Credits:
Dragon Magazine #237 - Cover Artist
Dragon Magazine #200 - Interior Cover Artist for Dungeon Magazine
Dungeon Magazine #54 - Cover Artist
Dungeon Magazine #67 - Cover Artist
White Wolf Magazine #45 - Cover Artist
White Wolf Magazine #36 - Cover Artist

Magazine Interior Article Credits:
“A Wrastle with Bertrum” in Dungeon #30 (Jul/Aug 1991)
“Artist Spotlight on David O. Miller” in White Wolf Magazine #36
“Class Action!” in Dragon #217 (May 1995)
“Creative Casting” in Dragon #169 (May 1991)
“Dark Days in Welldale” in Dungeon #33 (Jan/Feb 1992)
“Ecology of the Neogi, The” in Dragon #214 (Feb 1995)
“Ghazal” in Dungeon #30 (Jul/Aug 1991)
“Hopeful Dawn” in Dungeon #41 (May/Jun 1993)
“Hunger” in White Wolf Magazine #29 (Oct/Nov 1991)
“In the Shadow of the Magi” in White Wolf Magazine #24 (Dec 1990/Jan 1991)
“Into the Silver Realm” in Dungeon #43 (Sep/Oct 1993)
“Khamsa’s Folly” in Dungeon #40 (Mar/Apr 1993)
“Lady of the Mists, The” in Dungeon #42 (Jul/Aug 1993)
“Tarepo’s Troubles” in White Wolf Magazine #28 (Aug/Sep 1991)
“Terror in the Jungle” in Challenge #54 (Nov 1991)
“Time in a Bottle” (Fantasy) in Dragon #208

Game Graphic Design Credits:
Car Wars Card Game Steve Jackson Games

Last edited by Grishnakh; October 4th, 2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Titleless

Since 1998 I've concentrated on more mainstream design and illustration work. It pays better and I've got two kids in college. However I still do game realated art on occasion. For example I did several covers for a retro clone game put out by Dark City Games. And I just sold a piece to Frank Mentzer for a new kickstarter he's spearheading. I also make guest appearances at conventions from time to time. I always say I was a gamer before I was an artist in the gaming business. And I'm certainly happy to still be enjoying my hobby after 40 years of gaming, especially on this site.

Last edited by Grishnakh; October 4th, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Titleless

And I promise, last saved slot....
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cool.

Looking forward to everything you post here!

Grats on the industry guest honor. Great convention painting. Love the dog.
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Cool.

Looking forward to everything you post here!

Grats on the industry guest honor. Great convention painting. Love the dog.
Gotta get together with you and game again sometime as well. Maybe I'll try and swing GenCon next year. If I can get in the ever increasing art show. Space is always limited.
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Grish, I'm so glad you're doing this! Thank you for sharing the excellent poster, and I'm looking forward to more.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Grish, I'm so glad you're doing this! Thank you for sharing the excellent poster, and I'm looking forward to more.
Yea, I think I'll come out of the woodwork Dad Scaper. As I think you know I was working around the time the revised 2nd edition of D&D came out, up until the late 1990s. Got lots to share.

You can see some of my older work on my horribly outdated web site. Click on the link and scroll down a bit.
http://www.davidomiller.com/illustration.html
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Excellent. The image with the surprised cleric, about 4th down on the right, seems very familiar to me. Where might I have seen it?

= =
Old September 6th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Excellent. The image with the surprised cleric, about 4th down on the right, seems very familiar to me. Where might I have seen it?
Sure. It's called "The Githyanki" and it was published in 2nd Edition AD&D (revised) "Spells and Magic (Players Option)." 1995. Page 30.
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Wow. I don't own it, but I must have looked at it, because I recognized it right away. Thanks for sharing these, Grish, they are a treasure.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General