Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM

theats has disabled reputation
Theats' Pre-Made Armies Series.(15)

Following some advice from others on this site, I have set about to create 15 diverse, yet efficient pre-built armies for usage at my Heroscape table. All of these are between 490-520 points. If a player has no experience, I will allow him to choose any two armies, for a grand total of not more than 1000 points. Two games are played.

To balance the points, I am trying to decide between two options:

1) With whoever choosing their army first picking their start position last.
or
2) Whoever has the smaller force may start x Further spaces from the edge of the board in their start zone. I was considering one space for every 10 points difference in the armies, with a minimum of 1 space(even if the army is only 5 points weaker).

I attempted all of this keeping some things in mind:
1) Fun. First and foremost, Heroscape is meant to bring people together. I didn't want any super armies, or armies that are boring to play.

2) Variety. All of the armies are different in some way. Some are as large as 24 hexes, and some as small as 4. I tried no to double dip any of my Units. For example, if I had 3 4th Mass. line, then I would only use 3, across ALL of my armies.

3) Activation in mind. I wanted to use armies that wouldn't be botched if one figure in the army was killed, and thus each army has at least 2, possibly 3 heroes. People like rolling lots of dice, and moving lots of figures, typically.

4) Uniformity. This may seem at odds with Variety, but with few exceptions, most of these armies are drafted from a single General.

With that in mind, I begin my series of Pre-Made Armies. (This post will be updated with the Armies as I codify them in this thread. If someone could help me link the appropriate post to the initial thread, that would be appreciated. I am debating between keeping them all contained in this Thread, or across several, to debate and discuss respectively.)

Armies:

1) Assault and Pepper:
Guilty McCreech, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Parmenio, Sacred Band, 10th Regiment of Foot (4)
Hexes: 19

2) Rock, Paper, Scissors
Jotun, Sonlen, Moriko
Hexes: 4

3) Mobile Marro
Me-Burq-Sa, Ne-Gok-Sa, Grok Riders(3x)
Points 530
Hexes: 20

4) Cold Steel
Laglor, Otonashi, Blastatrons (2), Gladiatrons (3)
Hexes: 22

5) A Valiant Effort
Sir Gilbert, Eldgrim the Viking Champion, Knights of Weston (3), 4th Massachusetts Line (2)

6) The Southbound Storm
Alastair MacDirk, Finn the Viking Champion, Thorgrim the Viking Champion, MacDirk Warriors (2), 4th Massachusetts Line
Hexes: 15

The Elements of Surprise
Kurrok the Elementalist, Rhogar Dragonspine, Air Elemental (2), Earth Elemental (2), Fire Elemental (2), Water Elemental (2)
Hexes: 10

Theophilus.

Last edited by theats; December 3rd, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:55 AM

Re: Theats' Pre-Made Armies Series.(15)

Army #1
Assault and Pepper

Hexes: 19

Guilty McCreech
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Parmenio
Sacred Band
10th Regiment of Foot (4)

Suggested Battleplan: Phase 1: Utilize the 10th Regiment of Foot as your front line. They can get down and dirty, or go for height, or make a bayonet wall. I would continue to dump order markers on them until I can no longer activate at least 4 of them.

Phase 2: When the 10th Regiment are no longer effective or advantageous, proceed to advance with the Sacred Band, bonding with Parmenio as long as he is able, keeping him close. By this time, you should have prioritized targeting your opponents ranged units. You can then move your pocket of Melee up into the fray.

Phase 3: Once a location for a melee battle is evident, move in Marcus to provide a bonus to your units. You can do this via bonding. This also provides options for which Hero to bond with.

Wild Card: Guilty McReach. He is a good unit to dump an X on, and to surprise your opponent when he is looking the other way. He is cheap, and squishy, but if you get him unto Height, he stands a chance at taking a lucky shot and picking off one or two squads, or knocking a Hero down a peg or so. Just keep him out of Harms way.

Theophilus.

Last edited by theats; December 3rd, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:08 AM

Army #2
Rock, Paper, Scissors

Jotun
Sonlen
Moriko

Hexes: 4

Suggested Battleplan:

Jotun: Rock.
Sonlen: Paper.
Moriko: Scissors.

Suggested Battleplan: Shoot. Throw Jotun at an Enemy formation or target, and then throw said enemy formation or target. Use Sonlen on your next turn to move up (within four spaces of Jotun) and Heal, Swoop, and shoot away. Keep Moriko close enough for Healing, as she is squishy, but use her to move within your enemy grouping and cut it up from behind and in the middle.

Vary up your order markers, but try to use each Hero once per round. If a Hero is down to half life or less, dump markers unto Sonlen for healing. If Jotun is at full strength, use him up. Moriko has the flexibility to literally go wherever. This is an easy to use army with few moving parts.

Theophilus.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:21 AM

Army #3
Mobile Marro

Me-Burq-Sa
Ne-Gok-Sa
Grok Riders(3)

Points 530
Hexes: 20

Suggested Battleplan: Dump your Order Markers on your Grok Riders. They are fast, and can zip across the battlefield if there is road available. Bond primarily with Ne-Gok-Sa. He is durable, and has the possibility of diversifying your army once he is in the fray. Get him adjacent to as many unique figures as possible, especially ones your opponents bond with. Throw your Grok Riders at your Warlord's side. Don't be afraid to leave one or two Groks out of the main combat, as they can actively respond to developing threats.

When Ne-Gok-Sa falls, or if an isolated threat develops elsewhere on the board, utilize Me-Burq-Sa as a means to target and harass said threat. He is squishy, however, so keep him away from melee. This is a very easy army to play, and is the largest point value of all of my pre-made forces.

Theophilus.

Last edited by theats; December 3rd, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:32 AM

Army #4
Cold Steel

Laglor
Otonashi
Blastatrons (2)
Gladiatrons (3)

Suggested Battleplan: Move Laglor up early. Try to find a Defensible position within the first round. If a hill cannot be secured before the enemy, then keep yourself out of range of any of your opponents figures that could set up there.

Use Laglor as a "bubble" of range, dumping the remainder of your order markers on the Blastatrons for much of the game. Using their Gladiatron bonding, move up your rear and either set up a perimeter to keep melee at bay, or advance to your enemy, and use your blastatrons range of 9(with Laglor). Try to keep them with at least a space between each other, but never more than 2, so as to restrict your enemy, and maximize their bonus they will yield to the Blastatrons.

Wild Card: Otonashi. A good place for an (x) Marker for much of the game, until you want to surprise your enemy. Use as an assassin if any Hero or squad figures make it back to Laglor or your Blastatrons. He has only one life, so it is a shot in the dark (made a little more accurately against a 'wild' personality figure).

Theophilus.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM

Army #5
A Valiant Effort

Sir Gilbert
Eldgrim the Viking Champion
Knights of Weston (3)
4th Massachusetts Line (2)

Suggested Battleplan: Understand the basic Roles of your Units. The Knights engage and create a wall. The 4th Mass Line are great for a defensive firing line. Eldgrim is squishy, so should be used in combat first.

Order Markers can more or less be dumped on the Knights of Weston for much of the game. Bond with Eldgrim to get him into combat soon, over-extending if he can grab a glyph on the first turn. When he dies, place him on Sir Gilbert.

When bonding with Sir Gilbert, it is useful to use his power to bring up your rear line, either to fill in gaps for fallen knights, or to move up the 4th Massachusetts line as a support, using your knights as a fence to protect them. Keep Gilbert near your front line, but not necessarily exposed to melee, so that he can boost your units.

When you have less than 4 knights, or if Sir Gilbert falls, it may become advantageous to begin placing order markers on the 4th Massachusetts Line for the remainder of the game. Do not forget your added defense for a Valiant Army.

Theophilus.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM

Army #6
The Southbound Storm

Alastair MacDirk
Finn the Viking Champion
Thorgrim the Viking Champion
MacDirk Warriors (2)
4th Massachusetts Line

Hexes: 15

Suggested Battleplan: On your initial turn or two, move the 4th Massachusetts Line into a defensible position. When they are in a suitable location, dump order markers unto the MacDirk Warriors, bonding with the Viking Brothers in a cycle. Move them directly into the enemy line of fire. Try to keep them next to eachother to maximize their effectiveness. During these turns, maneuver the MacDirk Warriors into high ground or otherwise advantageous terrain.

After the Vikings have fallen, in turn, place them on Mac Dirk, utilizing his Over-extend if it means getting another attack in. If at any point he has four or less lives, it is typically worth it to attack if you can, then use over-extend to escape behind your MacDirk warriors.

Wild Card: 4th Mass. Line. If you do not have to move, or if they are your last figures on the board. Keep them in reserve.

Theophilus.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:29 PM

Army #7
The Elements of Surprise
Kurrok the Elementalist
Rhogar Dragonspine
Air Elemental (2)
Earth Elemental (2)
Fire Elemental (2)
Water Elemental (2)

Hexes: 10

Suggested Battleplan: Dump Order markers unto Kurrok. It is typically OK to advance him to an advantageous position to fight from, likely a glyph. On subsequent turns, move up your other elementals as a reaction to your opponents moves.

If they Place Order Markers on:
flyers or melee units- move up Air elementals.
a swarming force- Air or Fire elementals(You will use them often).
anything near water- Water elementals(put them in the water).
Any sort of formation of a line- Earth elementals.

Wildcard: Rhogar Dragonspire. I've never played with him, but he seemed useful and unique. He should die before Kurrok, as half his powers are useless if he is the lone character. He is useful against clusters of enemies.

Theophilus.

Last edited by theats; December 3rd, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM

Army #8
Hot Steel

DW9000
DW8000
Warden 816
Zettian Guards
Deathreavers(2)

Hexes: 13

Suggested Battleplan: Rush with the rats on the first two turns, and proceed to scatter for the rest of the game. Cherry pick with the Death Walkers and Zettians? This was more so a "I want to make a themed army, but no good units exist".

Do you have any suggestions? Are there any Balanced Customs that use Zettians as a common squad?

Theophilus.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 04:13 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

The CUC did a Common Squad version of the Zettians.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion