Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM

bluekitsune13 has disabled reputation
Are em4miniatures and Reaper minis similar to Heroscape's?

After a long hiatus from 'scape, because of lack of releases (and with that looming rumor of Heroscape ending too), I thought I'd look into customs. I've never been much of a custom's guy, but I've spent so much time and money into Heroscape, that I don't want it to go to waste. I've been looking online for different lines of minis, and I've been searching around here too. This is what I've come up with (with looks only, so I don't have size comparisons)

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalo...iniatures.html

em4miniatures seem to be the closest match to Heroscape's I've seen. The sculpts and paint jobs are very similar. I think they are 28mm (wich is Heroscape's scale, correct me if I'm wrong). Plus they come in packs which contain similar figures, which is perfect to accumulate squad figures.

http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=9

The next ones are Reaper miniatures. I emailed them a few questions, and I haven't gotten any answers yet. From what I understand though they are 25mm and unpainted. I'm not sure how that stacks up to Heroscape stuff, so if anyone's ever gotten those, please share your experiences. They look like they're metal too, instead of plastic. The only reason I would want plastic is it would be easier to remove their bases, so I can put them on regular Heroscape bases instead (unless they are removable by themselves).

Those are the two main figure lines I've seen that could potentially work very well. The em4 are prepainted and plastic I think, but the Reaper minis have a lot more choices. However their scale might be off.

I'm kind of anal about having things match, so I'd need to make sure that the sculpts look similar in detail and size. I'm a good painter, so paintjobs won't be a problem if they're unpainted.

I remember a thread awhile back about different size comparisons of miniatures, but I can't seem to find that. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on the em4 or Reaper minis, or any other minis that work, please post your comments.

EDIT: I changed the title to make it a little more clear to what I was after.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Here is the thread you were referring to...

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=132

PS Welcome Back!!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks, and yeah, that is the thread I was referring to. That's where I saw the em4miniatures mentioned. I think somebody had the gladiators and made customs out of them, and put Heroscape bases on them. Really, I've pretty much nailed it down between those two lines for what I'm after. Unless somebody has another idea of something else to use.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
25 mm is smaller than HS - all you dudes will be short (Dwarf Gladiators!), but they'll look super-awesome!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM

Still... like I said I am quite anal about looks and such. Perhaps I'll order a few and see how they stack up. Some of them also have small bases on them. For those who have those kind of minis, do they come off easily?

Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
25 mm is smaller than HS - all you dudes will be short (Dwarf Gladiators!), but they'll look super-awesome!
I can't speak to the other sets they offer, but the Gladiator set (the 1st one...i haven't gotten the 2nd set yet) is perfect for HS including size, color, proportions, etc.

They do not come attached to the bases but have a "tab" that slides into slots in the bases. You will have to cut this off to mount them on HS bases. Also, they are metal not plastic...but light enough that this does not prevent you from mounting them on the HS bases.

Click on "My Pics" below and go to the "Gladiators and Greeks" album for examples.

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfSauron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I can't speak to the other sets they offer, but the Gladiator set (the 1st one...i haven't gotten the 2nd set yet) is perfect for HS including size, color, proportions, etc.

They do not come attached to the bases but have a "tab" that slides into slots in the bases. You will have to cut this off to mount them on HS bases. Also, they are metal not plastic...but light enough that this does not prevent you from mounting them on the HS bases.

Click on "My Pics" below and go to the "Gladiators and Greeks" album for examples.
Yes, very awesome. They look absolutely perfect for Heroscape. They do have quite a variety too, with some more modern army men packs too. I might look into those before hand.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
em4 prepainted figs are fairly nice. The paint jobs look good from a distance but might not be satisfactory for some.

FRP Games has them for decent prices if you are ordering from inside the United States:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=search&s=em4

I've picked up several different boxsets including 2xGladiators (one for the Gladiator game and one for HS), the first cowboy set, the SWAT set, Mercs and Gang sets. The figures do not come attached to their bases, iirc. You also get some decent d20s with some of the sets and the Gladiator set comes with rules, dice and a map to play the Gladiator game which is enjoyable.

Newb.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM

That's cool. I ordered myself a gladiator's pack, and 1 Reaper figure off ebay, just to compare the sizes and whatnot. Hopefully they will be similar, as they have some really cool looking figures.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Right..No Left!.. No I mean Right!

Lotus is surprisingly tart
Reaper figures will be fine. What you really want are the Legendary Encounter's figures though. Entirely prepainted, with a decent price. I am afraid the quality if is a little bad, but a good wash will make them nice in no time.

http://www.reapermini.com/store/cust...me.php?cat=123

There selection is weak right now, but will be getting better soon.
This is some of the new stuff coming out.
http://www.reapermini.com/LegendaryE...aintedPlastics

Later,
Lotus
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus
Reaper figures will be fine. What you really want are the Legendary Encounter's figures though. Entirely prepainted, with a decent price. I am afraid the quality if is a little bad, but a good wash will make them nice in no time.

http://www.reapermini.com/store/cust...me.php?cat=123

There selection is weak right now, but will be getting better soon.
This is some of the new stuff coming out.
http://www.reapermini.com/LegendaryE...aintedPlastics

Later,
Lotus
I debated getting some of those, but the only problem is that there is a lack of multiples. In the other Warlord sets, they have packages that you can buy that have 3 skeleton archers together. And like Heroscape, those 3 sculpts are different from each other, instead of being the same. It doesn't look like there is any variation in any of the Legendary figures unfortunately.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Right..No Left!.. No I mean Right!

Lotus is surprisingly tart
No, not yet, the Goblins and Kobolds will have multiple sculpts though. Also, you can make some good heroes out of what is there.

There is also AT-43 and the new Confrontation.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/at-43/
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/confrontation/

Later,
Lotus

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards