Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Which Master Set Is A Better Introduction to Heroscape?
Rise of the Valkyrie 91 94.79%
Swarm of the Marro 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 5th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Which Master Set is the Best Introduction to Heroscape?

I like the new Swarm of the Marro master set, but I'm just wondering if it would have engendered the same obsession in me and others as the original Rise of the Valkyrie master set, had SOTM been the first one released. After playing it for a while, I really don't think it's as nice an introduction to the game as the original set.

The problem I see with the new set is that it doesn't emphasize the thematic variety of the original. From a continuing player's perspective it's very nice, as it progresses the story-line while boosting the Marro army and giving us some kick-ass heroes. But the sheer dominance in the set by the Marro makes me wonder if that's going to turn off some potential new players, especially if this becomes the only introductory set available.

I appreciate that they put in multiples for common squads, but I wish they had put in some non-Marro-related (I'm including the Nagrubs) squads just to show off the versatility of the game a bit more. It's the genre mashing that really makes the game, but in the new set, it feels more to me like the game is all about fighting the Marro, and not about the Battle of All Time.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
100% in favor of ROTV
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
100% in favor of ROTV
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Well, seeing as how I'm the only one who voted SotM I suppose I ought to defend the choice. There are several things I like better about SotM for new players:

1) Campaign scenarios. Anyone who tends to be story driven can't help but enjoy the way SotM draws you into the conflict. In RotV I was more excited about building the new maps than playing the scenarios.

2) 2xCommons. The new MS is "fully functional" in a way that RotV lacked. It also means that two friends, each with a MS, can pool units for even more options. Further, it makes a second MS purchase an easy decision since it isn't "just to get more terrain".

3) Good vs. Evil. With so many posters here trying to create thematic armies it seems to me that having a prebuilt thematic army is a big plus.

I agree that it lacks the variety of RotV, but I think it's a great way to get started.

~Aldin, swampily

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM

greenelvineyes has disabled reputation
I always saw SOTM as a very large (and very wonderful) expansion set. I agree that the campaign senarios are brilliant and are a real throwback to HeroQuest campaigns (my childhood love). But in the end, if I wasn't introduced to all the Generals before SOTM though I wouldn't really care that they banded together against Utgar.

"Ullar and Einar are totally hooking up. Utgar is soooo pissed"

"Maybe we are all wearing magic rings, but they're invisible rings so we don't even realize it. Also, you can't feel the rings"
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
They both have their strong points, but I would lean slightly in favor of RotV because of the variety of armies you can make.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
I agree with everyone else about the variety of RotV is a lot better for newbies.
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
ROTV:

It had more Heroes
More squad types
Ruins
More abilities to learn
Deeper drafting options

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Well, seeing as how I'm the only one who voted SotM I suppose I ought to defend the choice. There are several things I like better about SotM for new players:

1) Campaign scenarios. Anyone who tends to be story driven can't help but enjoy the way SotM draws you into the conflict. In RotV I was more excited about building the new maps than playing the scenarios.

2) 2xCommons. The new MS is "fully functional" in a way that RotV lacked. It also means that two friends, each with a MS, can pool units for even more options. Further, it makes a second MS purchase an easy decision since it isn't "just to get more terrain".

3) Good vs. Evil. With so many posters here trying to create thematic armies it seems to me that having a prebuilt thematic army is a big plus.

I agree that it lacks the variety of RotV, but I think it's a great way to get started.

~Aldin, swampily
I voted SotM too, and I agree with these points.
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM

grizz is surprisingly tart
Have to go with ROTV for all the reasnos listed already.

Old November 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Ted has disabled reputation
Aldin you make very good points, but have to side with the majority because with the other generals, non utgar, you only get one figure. yes in the master set 1 it was mainly utgar and jandar but you had more selection overall of themes and ideas.
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Fair responses all. I sometimes wonder if we lose sight of how little synergy RotV had now that we've had years to absorb other units and abilities. Whenever I see "what should I buy next" questions, outside of "what do you like" and "RttFF" the primary choice seems to be somthing along the lines of "ORCS!", "get commons", and/or "get some bonding". SotM answers that huge gap in RotV. Having said that, I think RotV/SotM combined make for a masterful one/two punch and compliment one another very well as the first two HS sets to own.

~Aldin, who thinks pure SotM armies are probably more competitive than pure RotV armies too

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion