Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:33 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: HistoryScape; Designing Robert Maynard

Also, I would personally drop this part:
After placing figures with this special power, Robert Maynard, and any figure placed with this special power this round, roll one additional attack die against opponent's Unique Heroes until the end of the round.
Since the power is already high on complexity, but that's your prerogative. I see above that you have some thematic reasoning for desiring it.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:40 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

I also vote yea to this power if we're voting - though I'm wondering whether we could re-word it so that you have a choice as to whether to attack with Maynard or the ambushing figures?

I do disagree with Capsocrates about dropping the final clause. As LoganTO said when he first mentioned adding something like it, it provides the theme of trying to take down the captain (which is important since this guy did kill Blackbeard), and also, this will probably be Robert's only power so we can perhaps afford to be a little more complex.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:42 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You mean like this?

ROYAL NAVY AMBUSH
At the start of the game, you may choose to place up to six small or medium Disciplined Einar squad figures from your army on this card. Once per round, after moving and before attacking with Robert Maynard, you may place up to 3 small or medium Einar squad figures you control who are on this card adjacent to Robert Maynard. After taking a turn with Robert Maynard, if you placed any figures with Royal Navy Ambush that turn and Robert Maynard did not attack, you may take a single turn with those figures, during which those figures may only attack. After placing figures with this special power, Robert Maynard, and any figure placed with this special power this round, roll one additional attack die against opponent's Unique Heroes until the end of the round.

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; July 23rd, 2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: "that turn" should probably have been in the last version I posted, too
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
I also vote yea to this power if we're voting - though I'm wondering whether we could re-word it so that you have a choice as to whether to attack with Maynard or the ambushing figures?

I do disagree with Capsocrates about dropping the final clause. As LoganTO said when he first mentioned adding something like it, it provides the theme of trying to take down the captain (which is important since this guy did kill Blackbeard), and also, this will probably be Robert's only power so we can perhaps afford to be a little more complex.
Hmmm...

I don't think doing a vote is quite needed (yet). I would suggest keeping the +attack off the card, but that's only because attempting to remember *which* figures were freshly placed might prove a bit too difficult over the course over an entire round. That's especially true when a player will (assumingly), use this power on OM 1. By OM 3, the other guy will be all like "Dude, which units were getting buffed, yo?".

While a bonus die would be cool, it will take a touch of ingenuity on our part to make sure it works the best possible way.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post

Hmmm...

I don't think doing a vote is quite needed (yet). I would suggest keeping the +attack off the card, but that's only because attempting to remember *which* figures were freshly placed might prove a bit too difficult over the course over an entire round. That's especially true when a player will (assumingly), use this power on OM 1. By OM 3, the other guy will be all like "Dude, which units were getting buffed, yo?".

While a bonus die would be cool, it will take a touch of ingenuity on our part to make sure it works the best possible way.

--
--
--

--
Old July 24th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
You mean like this?

ROYAL NAVY AMBUSH
At the start of the game, you may choose to place up to six small or medium Disciplined Einar squad figures from your army on this card. Once per round, after moving and before attacking with Robert Maynard, you may place up to 3 small or medium Einar squad figures you control who are on this card adjacent to Robert Maynard. After taking a turn with Robert Maynard, if you placed any figures with Royal Navy Ambush that turn and Robert Maynard did not attack, you may take a single turn with those figures, during which those figures may only attack. After placing figures with this special power, Robert Maynard, and any figure placed with this special power this round, roll one additional attack die against opponent's Unique Heroes until the end of the round.
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I would suggest keeping the +attack off the card, but that's only because attempting to remember *which* figures were freshly placed might prove a bit too difficult over the course over an entire round. That's especially true when a player will (assumingly), use this power on OM 1. By OM 3, the other guy will be all like "Dude, which units were getting buffed, yo?".

I can definitely see where you're coming from here. I personally don't think it would be too difficult to keep track of during the course of a round, but I wouldn't be surprised to be proved wrong . If it does get too confusing, perhaps make it just for the turn when the figures are dropped?

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old July 24th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Maybe replace that clause with a second power:

somethingsomething
If Robert Maynard used his Royal Navy Ambush Special Power this round, then all Einar squad figures with the Disciplined personality adjacent to Robert Maynard may roll one additional attack die against opponent's Unique Heroes.

I forgot to mention the underlined bit earlier, but I think that's the more precedential way to write that phrase than "Disciplined Einar squad figures."

--
--
--

--
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:

somethingsomething
If Robert Maynard used his Royal Navy Ambush Special Power this round, then all Einar squad figures with the Disciplined personality adjacent to Robert Maynard may roll one additional attack die against opponent's Unique Heroes.

I forgot to mention the underlined bit earlier, but I think that's the more precedential way to write that phrase than "Disciplined Einar squad figures."
Hmmm... not my favourite mechanic, but it could work. However, I definitely think that Robert Maynard himself needs to be affected by any attack boosting clause/power that we put on his card. Otherwise, the theme we're trying to capture of him being Teach's killer goes out the window, since historically he was the one to land the killing blow.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

somethingsomething

It does have precedence, but its also one heck of a mouthful. Trust me, I do respect the old wording, ad will stand by it, but when we can make something easier to process that's even better. If we can't then sticking to tried and true wording is cool in my opinion.

The best example of a card that just screws up a bit, was the Airborne Elite. It uses two clauses in the Grenade power that mean the same thing, Grenade counter and use once per game. It has precedence over all powers that can only be used once, but you see how we don't have Atlaga with a Bolt Counter or Erevan with a Fey Step counter?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My ideas for his two powers:

Aided Assualt:

If Robert Maynard attacks an opponents adjacent unique hero that is also adjacent to any other figure you control, add 2 to his attack dice.

Royal Navy A.-
Same as Caps would word it plus his suggestion to remove the clause at the end.

I vote YEA to Caps' intrepertation of the power either way.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old July 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
Aided Assualt:
If Robert Maynard attacks an opponents adjacent unique hero that is also adjacent to any other figure you control, add 2 to his attack dice.
That's definitely more elegant and more useful.

--
--
--

--
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:20 PM

Hammerfortress is surprisingly tart

Quote:
That's definitely more elegant and more useful.
Agreed, if we keep his attack boost in a separate power and just let him bring in reserves to activate it I think we will have a much more workable and enjoyable design.

"I always have a jelly. I'm always the one that says 'let's have a jelly in the mix.'" -Rupert Giles

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum