Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Bobbo has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
I think he's already at a disadvantage trying to land correctly to hit any figure in one of those avenues shown in the diagram anyway. I'll play his LOS is unaffected by his own wings, etc.
Yeah, we play that way also. We thought that what the LOS restriction on the special ability was to make sure that you didn't fireline a figure that was behind a ruin or something. Never in a million years would have guessed that a figure could block its own LOS.

I got nuthin...
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo
Quote:
I think he's already at a disadvantage trying to land correctly to hit any figure in one of those avenues shown in the diagram anyway. I'll play his LOS is unaffected by his own wings, etc.
Yeah, we play that way also. We thought that what the LOS restriction on the special ability was to make sure that you didn't fireline a figure that was behind a ruin or something. Never in a million years would have guessed that a figure could block its own LOS.
Will you still play that way with Mimring's SA, Bobbo?

I totally understand how ass-backward it would be to allow Mim to fire unheeded by his own blocked LOS and not allow Q9 to do the same, but just from my gaming group's experience, Mimring has a tough time pulling off Fire Line well and consistently.

The diagram shows where and how far he can fire, but aren't a couple of those avenues always blocked by his own wings? I think that is where I never had an issue with his LOS and his own body.
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Bobbo has disabled reputation
Quote:
Nope, we haven't yet. Then again, nobody drafts Mim anymore, so its almost a moot point.

Actually, we are really forgiving with the LOS issues that we run across. We never play that a figure can block its own LOS. It's just never come up in a game.

Also, I tend to think that checking LOS for the shoulderpads would be hard. How do you get behind Q-9's head to check if the shoulder pad is blocking? Wouldn't the other shoulderpad prevent you from seeing his head? I don't have the figure yet, so I really don't know.

I got nuthin...
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
I have Mimring in my hand and I don't see how his wings could ever block his LOS unless there is a figure at an extreme elevation at 5 or 8. As far as shooting out his backside I have never needed to as it has never been a big deal turning him around. I still use Mimring quite a bit and have yet to have a LOS issue.

Old May 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo
Quote:
Nope, we haven't yet. Then again, nobody drafts Mim anymore, so its almost a moot point.

Actually, we are really forgiving with the LOS issues that we run across. We never play that a figure can block its own LOS. It's just never come up in a game.

Also, I tend to think that checking LOS for the shoulderpads would be hard. How do you get behind Q-9's head to check if the shoulder pad is blocking? Wouldn't the other shoulderpad prevent you from seeing his head? I don't have the figure yet, so I really don't know.
We used Q9 last weekend. The shoulder pads do hinder how much he can see. Along with the trees, glaciers, and other obstacles on the field, it was tricky getting the Major to align properly to 'see' two Marrden Hounds.
I really wish I could've gotten both Wulsinu, but it just wasn't happening if I played that Q9 blocks his own LOS.

and We get behind or in front of his head to gauge LOS and yeah that can be tricky too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealQ
I have Mimring in my hand and I don't see how his wings could ever block his LOS unless there is a figure at an extreme elevation at 5 or 8. As far as shooting out his backside I have never needed to as it has never been a big deal turning him around. I still use Mimring quite a bit and have yet to have a LOS issue.
Well that's reasurring. I need to look at my Mim figure tonight.
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:51 AM

morgonis has disabled reputation
was reading the FAQ on the heroscape.com looking for a different rules question and came across this.....

If a figure is not facing another figure that he is attacking, does he have line of sight?
Facing does not matter when determining Line of Sight. The best way to tell if your Attacker has a clear Line of Sight is to get behind its head and look at the targeted figure. If you can see any part of it from its head, you have a clear Line of Sight. The facing of the attacker's head does not matter.

ie: you can shoot/attack behind the fig, to the side of the fig, above the fig. repeat its direction its faceing doesnt matter, therefore the shoulders dont matter just like other random parts of a fig doesnt block thier LOS which is good to hear, would hate to have to check LOS for every single shot i make with a figure because his own shoulders, bow, gun, may be blocking his view of the target
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
yes, we understand the part about "facing doesn't matter". but that FAQ still doesn't address what happens when you get behind your figure's head and while trying to look at the opposing figure, your figure's own body part(s) block vision.

this whole debate does not apply to single-space figures because they can be adjusted (meaning rotated in place) during attack phase. however, it DOES apply to double-space figures because that can't be rotated. and Q-9 is a double-space figure.

anyhow, we already have our answer from Hasbro...his shoulders do indeed block his own LOS. there is nothing more to debate. house rule it if you don't like. so there!
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:32 AM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Different point/question about Q9's shoulders (or the left one anyway.) We just got RV in the mail (no in-store sightings yet ), and noticed the general symbols on his left shoulder armor/line-of-blocker. The large Vydar symbol we took to be an indication of his allegiance (a reasonable thing to do ), and the smaller symbols we took as 'notches on his gun' type markings, i.e., a record of figures destroyed. Anything to be drawn from the fact that there are 4 Jandar, 4 Utgar, 3 Ullar and no Einar on there? Anybody have theories to share?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:27 PM

until I see it on the Offcial sties FAQ we plan to keep the shoulders as not able to block LOS, someone sent Hasbro a Email and got a hipshot response ie: eh, makes sense i spose lets do it this way...prolly without reading the rules or even thinking about it.

i mean think about it, ikeeping in mind that LOS is required to attack, all ya have to do to kill Q-9 is have a couple mellee guys come at him from the sides, the LOS rule some random email answereing guy at hasbro gave that you want to live by clearly states he couldnt see them through the shoulders thereby makeing him about to get trounced by people RIGHT NEXT to him that he couldnt see lol

take a good look at many of the other larger figures, almost all of them have a side you come attack them from that unless they turn they couldnt see ya with LOS.......im almost afraid of how many people will house rule that because of the Q-9 shoulders ruleing.

however me and the people i play with are keeping the original offical rule that prevents a figure from blocking its own LOS, in Q-9's case we assume he just tunred at the waist before fireing...we assume the dragons snake there heads around thier wings to attack people on thier hindquarters.....we assume Krug turns around to attack behind him...and all that is assumed wihtout physcally turning the figure, just like im sure most all the scapers play the same way, so why you want to commit to one figure suddenly haveing a new LOS rule that only applies to it...is just beyond me lol
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The ruling in our FAQ that came from Hasbro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscapers FAQ
Can Mimring block his own LOS? If he can't, then how can you determine LOS if he is blocking it. BTW: This is possible.
Official Ruling: When determining LOS for Mimring's FIRE LINE SPECIAL ATTACK and firing to the direct rear, you may use the tip of either long horn on his head as a targeting point. I know this is not in the rules. It will be eventually fixed, and in the rules. All parts of his body block LOS.
I don't see how Q9 would be any different....
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgonis
the original offical rule that prevents a figure from blocking its own LOS
I must be overlooking this in the rulebook. Can someone quote it and tell me what page it is on?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
The ruling in our FAQ that came from Hasbro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscapers FAQ
Can Mimring block his own LOS? If he can't, then how can you determine LOS if he is blocking it. BTW: This is possible.
Official Ruling: When determining LOS for Mimring's FIRE LINE SPECIAL ATTACK and firing to the direct rear, you may use the tip of either long horn on his head as a targeting point. I know this is not in the rules. It will be eventually fixed, and in the rules. All parts of his body block LOS.
I don't see how Q9 would be any different....

Mimring right in the book that comes with each MS shows in detail which directions and what spaces his FIRE LINE SPECIAL ATTACK can hit....kinda baffled what the question was there that called for contacting Hasbro when they already had a ruleing lol

Quote:
the original offical rule that prevents a figure from blocking its own LOS

I must be overlooking this in the rulebook. Can someone quote it and tell me what page it is on?
Heroscape.com under FAQ

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units