Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!
How do you convince your parents to take you to GenCon

How do you convince your parents to take you to gencon?

I really want to go, and my mom is thinking about taking me.
Do you have any good arguments as to why she should take me (and scapemaster)

she's against it because:

1. it's dangerous
2. she'll need something to do for 4 days
3. there will be too many people
4. she thinks they just want you to got so you can buy stuff
right now she say's there is about a 20% of going

She has a friend in Ohio, so that is something for her to do, also, I have recommended that she could take my brothers and see a movie or something nearby.
I have said that I have won both the tournaments I went to in Madison, That all scapers are really nice people, that it will be fun, and that it is fairly close to Wisconsin this year (GenCon is in different places each year, right?)

Am i missing anything?

By the way I am 14

Last edited by TurtleKing99; March 26th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: How do you convince your parents to take you to GenCon

Starting with your last comment -- Gencon has been and will be in Indy for quite some time, so the "it's close this year" won't work if she checks the Gencon website

Second, what are your mom's interests? There are several museums, shopping centers, entertainment, etc. all close to downtown Indy. Do a little research and let her know what is available.

There are a lot of people, but it's no worse than going to an amusement park on a weekend, and proabably not as dangerous.

You don't say how old you are (and you shouldn't on a public forum), but I have a teenage son and I let him and his friends run around and enjoy themselves at Gencon. Only rule is they have to check in every so often. Even if just a phone call.
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKing99 View Post

1. it's dangerous
right now she say's there is about a 40% of going

I have said that I have won both the tournaments I went to in Madison, That all scapers are really nice people, that it will be fun, and that it is fairly close to Wisconsin this year (GenCon is in different places each year, right?)

Am i missing anything?

Do you realize how much its going to cost to go?
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:

1. it's dangerous

Am i missing anything?

Do you realize how much its going to cost to go?
yes
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM

dragonite is surprisingly tart

Quote:

1. it's dangerous

She has a friend in Ohio, so that is something for her to do, also, I have recommended that she could take my brothers and see a movie or something nearby.

Am i missing anything?
Not if you are with a trusted adult. For Onacara's money issue, you can ask if you can volunteer around the house to pay off some of the money, which is what I might do (or get a good paying job).

Mess with the Dragon you're going to get burned.
Not only do the rules say you're wrong, they also say you're a duck.
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Founder of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonite View Post
Quote:

1. it's dangerous

Am i missing anything?
Not if you are with a trusted adult. For Onacara's money issue, you can ask if you can volunteer around the house to pay off some of the money, which is what I might do (or get a good paying job).
i don't think money should be too much of an issue, the hardest part might be scapemaster convincing his parents to let him go. My mom will not want to pay to get in, and I really don't think a bunch of gamers are dangerous. I could have her call me every few hours or so, so she knows we're okay.
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The fact that you have won both tourneys you went to, means you need to see how you compete in the big leagues, let you mom know Hasbro puts this tourney on and teh prizes are great, if you can pull off first place in any of the HS tourneys you will get more then your moneys worth in expenses for getting into GC ( not enough to cover a hotel room - which is the tough part and the most expensive part of it )

Let her know this is the biggest gaming convention in the USA and a must for any real Heroscaper?

there is actually a whole lot of fun things for women to do at GC - they have lots of of things for the wife´s of gamers that have nothing to do with gaming.

Good Luck

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

After reading this thread, I believe that it's going to be nearly impossible for me to get my parents to take me to GenCon. They're both retired now, and my dad goes on so many fishing trips that there's no chance he's going to turn down real fishing for Wii fishing if given the chance.

While my mom would love spending the time with me, she probably wouldn't enjoy herself while I'm gaming. Not to mention, she doesn't drink or party, and that would be awkward.

So I've come to the conclusion that I will have to pay for hotel, parking, food, drink and games myself.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker Worseley knows what's in an order marker

The best advice I could recommend would be to introduce your mom to some of the local scapers who are also going. Get their info and let your mom know that your not going to be alone there.

Peace of mind is probably 80% of what she's worried about. Let her know the type of people you'll be around. Let her gain trust that she'll have someone else to call to get a hold of you and most importantly show her that your going to be responsible enough to do something this big on your own (or with a friend).

Traders: Hoser, Sphere, Taeblewalker, DiscoStu, Hogg, Onacara, Skeletor, Cavalier, PonchoMan, Just_a_Bill, KRUG!, Wytefang, i2hot4u, Jim, Lakai, NEWT, nerdcorerocks, JediNate, Mutt Lo.
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Seeing as you're one of Wisconsin's elite scapers I think you should definitely go.

I think that whether she says it or not cost is probably an issue. Admission, hotel, and food for 4 days really adds up big time. If you have a birthday coming up might I suggest telling her taking you to Gen Con would be a great present. Mind you this would probably be the only thing you get, but it would show her how much you would like to go.

Another suggestion would be just to go on the two days of the championship game. Less time to keep her occupied and less expense, but you still get the major flavor of GC and probably the thing you'd want to do the most.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Founder of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
Seeing as you're one of Wisconsin's elite scapers I think you should definitely go.

I think that whether she says it or not cost is probably an issue. Admission, hotel, and food for 4 days really adds up big time. If you have a birthday coming up might I suggest telling her taking you to Gen Con would be a great present. Mind you this would probably be the only thing you get, but it would show her how much you would like to go.

Another suggestion would be just to go on the two days of the championship game. Less time to keep her occupied and less expense, but you still get the major flavor of GC and probably the thing you'd want to do the most.
great idea, I'll definitely use the birthday present idea, and the 2 day idea could work if she says no 4-day.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:42 AM

No, David, No is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worseley View Post
The best advice I could recommend would be to introduce your mom to some of the local scapers who are also going. Get their info and let your mom know that your not going to be alone there.

Peace of mind is probably 80% of what she's worried about. Let her know the type of people you'll be around. Let her gain trust that she'll have someone else to call to get a hold of you and most importantly show her that your going to be responsible enough to do something this big on your own (or with a friend).
I ditto the above.

My two-cents:

Gen Con is a safe and controlled environment. It is a good place to prove (or test) your maturity.

nDn

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con