Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM

hippogog Woo who?
Smile Hippogog's Customs Thread

Here they are. Let me know what you think!

Note: In all of my customs, I eliminate the Personality trait, and refer to Species and Class simply as Subtypes. The left panel contains the following information (in the order given), rather than the typical Heroscape information and ordering:

1. Subtype
2. Subtype
3. Subtype
4. Type
5. Size/Height

Hope this isn't too confusing! Please see my blog post for more info on the reasons behind this modified approach.

-----

Adamantine Bodyguard:

Figure:

Details:
  • Name: Adamantine Bodyguard
  • Allegiance: Jandar
  • Subtypes: Cyborg Construct Guardian
  • Type: Common Hero
  • Size/Height: Medium 5
  • Life: 1
  • Move: 6
  • Range: 1
  • Attack: 2
  • Defense: 2
  • Bodyguard: At the start of the game, put a Ward Marker onto a friendly, unique hero figure's army card. That figure becomes Warded. While Adamantine Bodyguard is adjacent to a friendly Warded figure, that figure may not be attacked (this includes disengagement attacks). Whenever an adjacent, friendly Warded figure takes a turn, you may move Adamantine Bodyguard up to 6 spaces.
  • Adamantine Armor 2: Whenever Adamantine Bodyguard would take a number of wounds, reduce that number by 2.
  • Flying: When counting spaces for Adamantine Bodyguard's movement, ignore elevation. Adamantine Bodyguard's movement does not end when entering Water. Adamantine Bodyguard may move through spaces occupied by figures or obstacles and does not become engaged when doing so.
Change Log:

02//05/2009 (previous card):
  • Modified Bodyguard ability so that only unique hero figures may receive Ward Markers (to avoid rules issues with duplicate common figures; this also eliminated the need for the extra text prohibiting Adamantine Bodyguard from receiving Ward Markers); also revised the wording of the ability for conciseness and clarity
02//05/2009 (previous card):
  • Modified Bodyguard ability (removed Ward Marker transfer mechanic, added ward movement-bonding mechanic)
  • Reduced Points from 130 to 120
01//26/2009 (previous card):
  • Reduced Life from 3 to 1
  • Changed type from Unique Hero to Common Hero (to allow for multiples - this seems more 'in flavor' for a bodyguard figure)
  • Reduced Attack from 3 to 2 (to make him less offensive, staying true to the figure's more defensive nature)
  • Modified the Bodyguard ability so that the figure itself cannot receive Ward Markers (which would allow two figures with the ability to make each other immune to attacks, simultaneously)
  • Reduced Points from 150 to 130
-----

Crocodilian Monstrosity:

Figure:

Details:
  • Name: Crocodilian Monstrosity
  • Allegiance: Ullar
  • Subtypes: Mutant Beast Horror
  • Type: Unique Hero
  • Size/Height: Large 6
  • Life: 4
  • Move: 4
  • Attack: 4
  • Defense: 1
  • Tough Hide 2: Whenever Crocodilian Monstrosity would take a number of wounds, reduce that number by 2.
  • Slither: Crocodilian Monstrosity's movement does not end when entering Water.
  • Impale: Whenever Crocodilian Monstrosity wounds a hero with its normal attack, put an Impaled Marker onto that figure's army card (while a figure has an Impaled Marker on its army card, it may not move or attack a figure other than Crocodilian Monstrosity). Whenever Crocodilian Monstrosity moves or attacks another figure, remove the Impaled Marker from the figure's army card.
  • Fear 1: Opposing adjacent squad figures roll 1 less Attack die when making melee attacks against Crocodilian Monstrosity. Figures with Fear are immune to this effect.
Change Log:

01//27/2009
(previous card):
  • Reduced Fear 2 to Fear 1 (this will help make the figure less resistant to melee-only squads)
-----

Gatling Mutant:

Figure:

Details:
  • Name: Gatling Mutant
  • Allegiance: Vydar
  • Subtypes: Mutant Cyborg Warrior
  • Size/Height: Large 6
  • Life: 5
  • Move: 4
  • Range: 6
  • Attack: 3
  • Defense: 2
  • Double Attack: Gatling Mutant may attack twice on each of its turns.
  • Minimum Range 4: Gatling Mutant may not make its normal attack against figures within 3 spaces.
  • Barrel Slam Special Attack: Range 1. Attack 1. This attack is Deadly (each Skull rolled on the attack counts twice).
  • Suppressing Fire 2: Instead of making any attacks this turn with Gatling Mutant, put a Suppressing Marker onto this card. While this card has a Suppressing Marker on it, opposing figures within up to 6 clear sight spaces of Gatling Mutant roll 2 less Attack dice when making attacks against non-adjacent figures. At the end of each round, remove any Suppressing Marker from this card.
Change Log:

01//27/2009
(previous card):
  • Reduced Suppressing Fire 3 to Suppressing Fire 2
  • Reduced Points from 170 to 160
-----

Sprocket, Swordspinner:

Figure:

Details:
  • Name: Sprocket, Swordspinner
  • Allegiance: Einar
  • Subtypes: Machine Construct Warrior
  • Life: 3
  • Move: 6
  • Attack: 2
  • Defense: 6
  • Automaton: Sprocket, Swordspinner may not be assigned Order Markers. Whenever you reveal your first Order Marker for a round, take a turn with Sprocket, Swordspinner.
  • Counter Strike: Whenever Sprocket, Swordspinner rolls defense dice against a normal attack made by an adjacent figure, the attacking figure takes 1 wound for each excess shield rolled (an excess shield is a shield not absorbed by the attack). Figures with Counter Strike are immune to this effect.
  • Ranged Counter Strike 6: Whenever Sprocket, Swordspinner rolls defense dice against a normal attack made by a non-adjacent figure within 6 spaces, the attacking figure takes 1 wound for each excess shield rolled (an excess shield is a shield not absorbed by the attack). Figures with Ranged Counter Strike are immune to this effect.
  • Whirlwind Assault: Sprocket, Swordspinner may attack any or all adjacent figures.
-----

Equine Marauder:

Figure:

Details:
  • Name: Equine Marauder
  • Allegiance: Utgar
  • Subtypes: Beast Construct Warrior
  • Life: 4
  • Move: 8
  • Attack: 3
  • Defense: 3
  • Charging Assault 2: Whenever Equine Marauder makes a normal attack, if the defending figure was at least 4 clear sight spaces from Equine Marauder at the beginning of the turn, Equine Marauder gets +2 Attack.
  • Passing Strike: Whenever Equine Marauder engages and then disengages from an opposing figure while moving, Equine Marauder may make a disengagement strike against that figure as though the figure were voluntarily leaving the engagement. Any figure immune to disengagement strikes is immune to this effect as well.
  • Disengage: Equine Marauder is immune to disengagement strikes (whenever it leaves an engagement, the opposing figure may not make a 'passing swipe').
  • Pistol Shot Special Attack: Range 6. Attack 2.
-----

Last edited by hippogog; February 5th, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Updated Adamatine Bodyguard (see change log)
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Hippogog's Customs Thread

While your cards have gotten more balanced, Adamantine Armor, especially in combination with Bodyguard; and Tough Hide, especially in combination with Fear and 4 Life are still way too good.

To kill the Bodyguard, you have to roll at least 3 skulls at least 3 times. Very hard to do, especially if you park him next to Q9 and have Raelin around. Now even if your opponent rolls 3 skulls, he still gets to roll 4 Defense, and they can't attack Q9. Throw in 2x Rats and Isamu and you've got a ridiculous 500-point army.

The Crocodile will never die to squads. They roll 2 less dice, but still need 3+ skulls just to wound him AFTER he rolls defense dice.

For the Mutant, Suppressing Fire is also too good I think. Lower it to 2 or even 1.

That said, Bodyguard, Impale, Fear, Minimum Range (I've done something similar on a Mortar custom), and Supressing Fire are all creative and original abilities. Keep that up and fix the balance issues and you'll have some very memorable customs.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM

viperhoops10 has disabled reputation

Crocodlian Monstrosity seems really overpowered, have you playtested it yet? As Necroblade said it would be almost impossible for a squad to wound it, and a combo with Raelin would be deadly.

My Collection: Everything except Templar, Greeks and Vipers, Kilts and Commandos
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:17 AM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
While your cards have gotten more balanced, Adamantine Armor, especially in combination with Bodyguard; and Tough Hide, especially in combination with Fear and 4 Life are still way too good.

To kill the Bodyguard, you have to roll at least 3 skulls at least 3 times. Very hard to do, especially if you park him next to Q9 and have Raelin around. Now even if your opponent rolls 3 skulls, he still gets to roll 4 Defense, and they can't attack Q9. Throw in 2x Rats and Isamu and you've got a ridiculous 500-point army.
I think he'll roll 3 Defense, but I see what you're saying here (though I'm not familiar with the 'Rats' you mention). As much as I like the Bodyguard ability as it is, perhaps it needs a change, or should only be attached to a more fragile figure.

I understand that Raelin can make things more difficult, but isn't this going to be true for all figures that she buffs? In other words, I understand that I need to consider the various figure combinations, but I don't see this pairing-up as particularly powerful. She'll make a tough figure even more difficult to destroy, but the actual bonus she offers won't be any different from the one she gives to any other figure. Right?

Quote:
The Crocodile will never die to squads. They roll 2 less dice, but still need 3+ skulls just to wound him AFTER he rolls defense dice.
Good point. Perhaps the Fear is too much, when combined with the Tough Hide. I may have to lose the Fear in the case, as much as I'd like to keep it from a flavor perspective.

Quote:
For the Mutant, Suppressing Fire is also too good I think. Lower it to 2 or even 1.
Really!? My thinking was that if you're going to forgo two attacks (due to Double Attack), the trade-off had better be worth it. I could see reducing the penalty to 2 though.

Quote:
That said, Bodyguard, Impale, Fear, Minimum Range (I've done something similar on a Mortar custom), and Supressing Fire are all creative and original abilities. Keep that up and fix the balance issues and you'll have some very memorable customs.

Thanks! These comments were very helpful. I appreciate you taking a look at the new posts.

-hippogog

P.S. What is a 'Mortar' custom?
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperhoops10 View Post
Crocodlian Monstrosity seems really overpowered, have you playtested it yet? As Necroblade said it would be almost impossible for a squad to wound it, and a combo with Raelin would be deadly.
Unfortunately I have not, but I see how the Fear and Tough Hide could, together, render him invulnerable to squads. I may lose the Fear altogether, or try reducing both abilities by 1 in value. I plan on doing some play-testing with all of the figures, so we'll see.

Thanks for the input!

-hippogog
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippogog View Post
I think he'll roll 3 Defense, but I see what you're saying here (though I'm not familiar with the 'Rats' you mention). As much as I like the Bodyguard ability as it is, perhaps it needs a change, or should only be attached to a more fragile figure.
I was referring to the original Raelin, from Rise of the Valkyrie, though you're right, with new Raelin (Swarm of the Marro) he would roll 3 Defense. Rats are Deathreavers. Them plus Q9 plus Raelin is already a tournament-winning combination.

Quote:
I understand that Raelin can make things more difficult, but isn't this going to be true for all figures that she buffs? In other words, I understand that I need to consider the various figure combinations, but I don't see this pairing-up as particularly powerful. She'll make a tough figure even more difficult to destroy, but the actual bonus she offers won't be any different from the one she gives to any other figure. Right?
What makes her particularly good with the Bodyguard, is that if you place him next to Q9 like I suggested, your opponent now has to kill Raelin first in order to be able to [even have a chance to] kill the Bodyguard in order to be able to kill Q9. Put some Rats out there to tie your opponent down and have Isamu as some ridiculously-good-for-his-cost backup.

Quote:
Really!? My thinking was that if you're going to forgo two attacks (due to Double Attack), the trade-off had better be worth it. I could see reducing the penalty to 2 though.
Losing two attacks IS a big trade-off, BUT at -3 he completely neuters any ranged squads he's sitting in the middle of. If you at least lower it to -2, those figures can at least get some shots off, even if they aren't very potent.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! These comments were very helpful. I appreciate you taking a look at the new posts.

-hippogog

P.S. What is a 'Mortar' custom?
No problem. I like original abilities (though I reuse abilities a lot in my own customs) and I like customs in general, so I try to help out if I can.

Here is an older version of my Mortar:

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
I was referring to the original Raelin, from Rise of the Valkyrie, though you're right, with new Raelin (Swarm of the Marro) he would roll 3 Defense. Rats are Deathreavers. Them plus Q9 plus Raelin is already a tournament-winning combination.
Ohhhh right. I totally forgot that there were two versions of Raelin. You are completely right about the 4 Defense then. Incidentally, is the first version of Raelin still "legal for play," or does the new version supercede it? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of re-releasing figures with different stats, abilities, etc., but then keeping the original name. In my mind, the name of a figure should be unique, and should correspond to exactly 1 figure, to avoid this kind of confusion. But I digress.

Quote:
Quote:
What makes her particularly good with the Bodyguard, is that if you place him next to Q9 like I suggested, your opponent now has to kill Raelin first in order to be able to [even have a chance to] kill the Bodyguard in order to be able to kill Q9. Put some Rats out there to tie your opponent down and have Isamu as some ridiculously-good-for-his-cost backup.
Is there any consensus that perhaps Isamu is a bit undercosted? It seems like he'd be a good addition to almost any army, given how easy it is to squeeze him in under the point cap.

Quote:
Here is an older version of my Mortar:

Cool. I like the drift mechanic, as well as the flavor text there at the bottom.

Thanks again,

-hippogog

Last edited by hippogog; January 26th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Raelin, as well as Sgt. Drake Alexander, is legal in either version. The only restriction is that you can't have both (2 Raelins or 2 Drakes) in the same army, which is why they have the same name.

Isamu is undercosted, IMO, but there are at least as many people who think he's just fine as those who would agree with me.

Thanks. I had done flavor text on the cards when I started making customs, but not any more. I still like that one, though.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM

hippogog Woo who?

I just made some significant changes to Adamantine Bodyguard (see change log). I'm not sure if it solves all of the balance issues, but I like the changes from a flavor perspective, if nothing else. It's still a work-in-progress though, so keep the input coming!

Also, special thanks to NecroBlade for his comments.

Thanks,

-hippogog
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Now that you're actually taking criticism, I'll say I really like the changes to the Adamantine Bodyguard. The Croc may still be a little tough against squads but since a hero could pretty easily have their way with him, I'd say he's balanced. I like suppressing fire. Anything that weakens range is a good thing (even if it's another ranged unit). It's a powerful ability but I'd say at 170 points, you can do that. Nice job!

I really don't get why you're replacing the personality trait with an extra race/class. Doesn't seem to accomplish a whole lot other than making your customs (somewhat) incompatible with the official figs (and everyone else's customs for that matter).

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations

Last edited by The B.I.V.; January 26th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
I really don't get why you're replacing the personality trait with an extra race/class. Doesn't seem to accomplish a whole lot other than making your customs (somewhat) incompatible with the official figs (and everyone else's customs for that matter).
I'd like to echo this statement. There are official figures that do make use of race, class, AND personality.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Now that you're actually taking criticism, I'll say I really like the changes to the Adamantine Bodyguard. The Croc may still be a little tough against squads but since a hero could pretty easily have their way with him, I'd say he's balanced. I like suppressing fire. Anything that weakens range is a good thing (even if it's another ranged unit). It's a powerful ability but I'd say at 170 points, you can do that. Nice job!
Thanks!

Quote:

Please check out this blog entry for my reasoning behind this approach.

Thanks!

-hippogog

Last edited by hippogog; January 28th, 2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Added link to blog entry

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards