Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Gen Con 2013 - Recommendations for Non-Heroscape Events

Gen con 2013 is coming!

Pre-Registration starts on January 27 at noon Eastern.

Housing Registration opens on January 29 at noon Eastern.

EVENT Registration opens Sunday, May 19th at noon (Eastern, there's a pattern)

Here's the link for the dates, and here's the Gen Con home page.

It goes without saying that the main purpose of Gen Con is to provide a venue for multiple Heroscape tournaments (and perhaps Dragon Dice), but it turns out there are actually other events there as well.

I'll be going for my second time this year, and there are others who are equally new or first-timers this year. I had fun at some other events last year, but I know I missed a lot. I'm wondering if the community has suggestions for those of us who are new to this. What non-Heroscape activities/events would you recommend to anyone going to Gen Con 2013?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Gen Con 2013 - Recommendations for Non-Heroscape Events

I'll start the list by recommending the AEG Board Game Night Extravaganza, which ran from 7 PM to midnight on the Friday of Gen Con last year. The event tickets were a little steep ($32), but it was a pretty awesome event. AEG had set up around 80 tables with a variety of their games, and their employees wandered around, teaching the rules, and playing the games for five hours or so (we only lasted for 3 ). Every 30 minutes, they gave out raffle prizes (my son won the entire Nightfall collection: the base game, all the stand-alone expansions, and all the small expansions).

The event is known for the swag, and when you left the party, you received a box, which basically paid the price of admission. Each box included a limited edition copy of SmashUp, Nightfall: the Coldest War, a Legend of the 5 Rings starter box, a set of Thunderstone Advance Promo cards, and a miniature for Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan. Overall, it was lots of fun and, to me at least, worth the price.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:26 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am a huge fan of Leviathans. I recommend trying out one of their King of the Skies events. The Catalyst Game Labs staff will teach you all the basics of running a flying battleship at the beginning of the 20th century. It is a great game and I really recommend that you at least check it out. As an added bonus the events will probably be close to all the Scaping goodness!
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:31 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Dragon Dice!! Duh!

So Akden are you playing Dragon Dice?? Or was that just for me?

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; January 23rd, 2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Real Men Play Dragon Dice
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Chewer of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Dragon Dice!! Duh!

Just for you. I bought a two-player starter set a year or so ago, but the 146-page rulebook was just too intimidating. I also hoped to sit down for a demo at Gen Con last year, but I didn't have an hour to spend there.

So the box is sitting on my shelf, gathering dust. Maybe one day...
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:51 AM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:
Dragon Dice!! Duh!

Just for you. I bought a two-player starter set a year or so ago, but the 146-page rulebook was just too intimidating. I also hoped to sit down for a demo at Gen Con last year, but I didn't have an hour to spend there.

So the box is sitting on my shelf, gathering dust. Maybe one day...
Yes the rule book sucks! Trust me I've let these guys know this MULTIPLE times!

Here's a link to a video I put together of a walkthrough with some buddies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6fvGewo

I'd love to sit down and play with ya at Gen Con!

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Chewer of Cats

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I just watched the intro, and I'm loving all the dice games. I'll try work through that series and see if I can get a better handle on the game. Who knows, maybe one day I'll become the world champion!

I would appreciate the opportunity to try it at Gen Con. Maybe we can set some time aside to play a game.
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I just watched the intro, and I'm loving all the dice games. I'll try work through that series and see if I can get a better handle on the game. Who knows, maybe one day I'll become the world champion!

I would appreciate the opportunity to try it at Gen Con. Maybe we can set some time aside to play a game.
Everybody has to have goals in life.

I would love to show you how to play. As it gets closer, let's plan some time to throw down a game or two.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:35 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

And another random GenCon question by gg:

If I just wander around with generic tickets or in the dealer hall will I find games to demo/play?

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
And another random GenCon question by gg:

If I just wander around with generic tickets or in the dealer hall will I find games to demo/play?
Don't need generic tickets to demo games in dealer hall. Not sure about outside of that.
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Wandering works well in the Dealer Hall and is free.

Wandering and generics is not ideal but also not out of the question. It is good to have some generics handy if you need them. I would check out the Battletech pods and do so early, the lines get worse on the weekend. I want to check out True Dungeon this year and one of those 'safe-soft?' gun games.
I guess I am Larping it up this year.

I used to enjoy the auction and auction store in my early days. The anime/movie area is excellent and again free, as is the Costume Contest Parade. There is a dance every year worth checking out just for the location alone.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; April 24th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Tiny Timmy knows what's in an order marker Tiny Timmy knows what's in an order marker

Don't forget about the events and shows. Last Year I watched the lovely and deviant Damsels of Dorkington, they were really funny but if they had a gaming rating they'd be rated M for Mature.

Also if you want to do a 5k Run, The Orc Stomp run has a wonderful route if you want to do that. Also a few things that I saw last year: Make a Chainmail object (necklaces, bracelets, dice bags, etc) Make a Boffer, True dungeons, and how to paint miniatures.

I usually tend to leave time to wander the dealer hall just because it's pretty awesome and I love taking pictures of people cosplaying. Last year I think I ended up with upwards of 200-ish photos...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con