Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Jim's kidney thread...

EDIT: This thread used to be called "Boy does this suck..." but I have as of 6/2/08 changed it to its current title.

Hey all. I'm just continuing this thread from HQ. I'll recap here, then get on with the updates, for anyone who cares.

Just before Christmas last year, I was diagnosed with Kidney failure. I started going to dialysis 3 days a week.

January 26 update:
I just got back from my appointment with the kidney Transplant consultant. I have an appointment with the Transplant Surgeon in March. (This is only an appointment to continue the evaluation process, not to schedule an operation or anything…) The coordinator said that she couldn’t see any reason why I wouldn’t be eligible for a transplant, so that’s good news.

As far as the screening process for potential donors goes… Since two of my sisters are possibly able to be donors, they are going to be screened first. They have the best chances for a successful transplant, so they have first cracks.

March 23 update:
I met with the surgeon on Monday, and they had their meeting of the kidney minds, and have apparently decided to let me be in the transplant program. (Yay!)

The next step is for my sisters and myself to get some blood tests to begin determining compatibility. These tests will happen Tuesday the 28th and hopefully we should hear something (though I don’t know what) by that Friday.

Dialysis still drags on, though I’ve caught up on many movies and TV shows thanks to itand my portable DVD player.

May 6 update:
Well, here is the long overdue update on everything. Some of you probably won't want to read past this, because it can get pretty boring.

So one of my sisters that was tested is reported to be an exact match for donation. This is a good thing, because it means that I will likely not have to take as many drugs for the rest of my life. (These are the drugs which suppress my immunity system and keeps me from rejecting the foreign organ inside.)

Tuesday (today for many of you by the time you read this) I go in to the Hospital at 6am so they can give me a fistula (hereafter referred to as "the thing in my arm). (If you want to know more about a fistula, go to HERE) I should be back to work the next day.

Then the real fun begins. On May 18 I go back into the hospital for a Cardio-Catheterization. This basically involves them putting a tube INTO my heart. They get there through the artery in my leg, just below the waist. I will be awake for this, as they will be squirting junk into my heart and I will have to hold my breath when they take their multitude of X-Rays. What this does is to see if there are any problems with my circulatory system. I am told that surgeons will not perform a transplant on someone who has had diabetes as long as I have (35 years)without this test being done.

Except for an abdominal ultrasound (to see if I have any stones based on my past history of having pancreatitis) that's all that I know about for now. Allegedly the transplant is set for the end of July, but that isn't something that I know for sure.

More as I find it out. Now to look forward to my surgery tomorrow morning...

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Last edited by Jim; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Update

The most recent update, from May 18:

I had the Cardio Catheterization today. That’s the one where they insert a tube into my Femoral artery below the waist, work it up into my heart, shoot dye into it and use a fluoroscope to track the dye and determine if there are any arterial problems. The doctor told me afterward they they were expecting to find problems, because many people that have had diabetes for 35ish years have problems. Well, I am pleased to say that they were pleasantly surprised to find the barest minimum of problems, which translates into nothing to worry about. Yay! So now I have a day or two more to take it easy so nothing bad happens to the incision site.

POTENTIALLY GROSS PART AHEAD! DO NOT READ IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW!

So they put a plug in to close the artery. Basically it is a device which gets inserted into the opening they made in the artery and expands outward. Then a roughly pea-sized thing is sutured onto that, which effectively seals off the artery from leaking out. The entire device is then absorbed into my body over the next three months. What won’t they come up with next!

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
yay Jim is okay!

i think this calls for a big hug!

*initiates group hug*

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:37 AM

gibberish_47 Woo who?
Glad to hear everything has been going smoothly. I hope your opperation is successful and you make a rapid recovery.

Old May 21st, 2006, 04:57 AM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Kumbaya kumbya Oh Lord Kumbaya

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:26 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Hey Jim, this is one of the things I was fearing about the fall of HQ, I saw you post there one more time and then it crashed, I was hoping you would come this way and keep us posted. When I was trying to see if we could keep Hq going your thread was one of the big reasons. I was thinking how personal some of those threads were. I am extremely glad you made it this way, keep us updated.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:58 AM
ultradoug

I hope you will recover from all this soon!
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:20 AM
Monokidnatic

Well with this latest news, I'm looking more positively towards it. My sister said thet she was told that the transplant operation is penciled in for August 2. That may change, but it is something to shoot for...

Jim

Scaper of the Week #17
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker
Good luck to you big guy.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
August 2nd is my birthday, thats what I want this year is for your transplant to work. There's my birthday wish so I would say go for it
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM

Turtleboy has disabled reputation
Jim next contest you run, offer your kidney up for the prize. Thad be cool shiza to win a kidney!

All in all glad your ok man!
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM
Monokidnatic

TB! Glad you're still around!

Actually, I couldn't offer my kidney up even if I was allowed to. They don't remove my bad ones. Instead they just add the new one somewhere in the stomach/abdomin area.

I know what you're thinking. It is kind of wierd and icky...

And Skynight, I hope you get what you want for your birthday.

Jim

Scaper of the Week #17

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General